December 2012 Weddings
Options

To register or not to register

Hi all! I ve have been living with my fiance for over three years now and am getting married to him on 12~08~12. Thing is I really need everything a household needs all over again since either it has been handed down, old or mismatched. I was told that guests that were at my first wedding don't have to give me a gift. Well since most of my guests were at my first wedding 20 years ago makes me think maybe I shouldn't bother registering. So should I just buy the things I need now out of my own pocket or register and wait until after the wedding. I don't want to offend anyone by doing the wrong thing, :(
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: To register or not to register

• Options

My FI and I have been living together for about 2.5 years, so we are having a pretty small registry.  I would register for a few things that you want to upgrade or replace, because some people prefer giving physical gifts.  That way, people at least have the option of getting you something, whether or not they were at your first wedding (which, for the record, doesn't mean you can't register).

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You can definitely still create a registry even though it is your second marriage and your living with your FI. (There are always household items that needed or need replacing!) The advice I would give any bride is to have a large array of prices. (Some gifts that are only a few dollars and some that are a little more of a splurge.) Also, keep in mind the size of your wedding when registering. For example, if you are having a small affair with less than 50 people, keep your registry appropriately smaller. (And visa versa for a large wedding.) Hope this helps! Wish you and your FI all the best!
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    Create one! People may want to give you a gift anyway, and it always annoys me when I have been to weddings where people don't register. I never know what they need!
    Miranda "Tea For Teacher" http://teaforteacher.wordpress.com
  • Options
    If you don't create one you will get random stuff and not know where it came from. 
  • Options
    My fiance and I have been living together the past four years so we will not be creating a registery since we have everything we need. So we are going to include this in our invitations and our website. 

I have also seen at some weddings I have been to include "no boxed gifts"

People understand especially if you have been living together for a while. 

As we have already set up a happy home together, 
    we have decided not to create a gift list.

Your presence at our wedding is the greatest gift of all,
    however should you wish to honor us with a gift,
    a contribution towards our
    future relocation
    would be much appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards