December 2012 Weddings

12/21/12 Wedding too close to xmas???

Hello December brides.  I'm a long time lurker on Knot, posting occassionally.  I'm in need of opinons/advice.  Fiance & I want our date to be 12/21/12.  I know alot of people are doing that to celebrate the supposed end of the world.  We are doing it because it's the Winter Solstice, and Yule (we are both Pagan, having open pagan ceremony).  SO to us it has major significance.  Here is my issue:

His family mostly all resides in MN.  Most my family is in CA, as are we, so we are having our wedding based on our location.  I understand that half his family may not come (no invites sent out yet) being that it's so far and travel costs during Dec tend to be ridiculous.  But for financial reasons (we are DIY and extremely budgeted) we can't afford to have the wedding sooner than this.  During last xmas, I met his family in MN.  Great time.  But, his sort of adopted mom (his best friend/best man's mom) made the lovely comment:  " oh no you can't have your wedding on 12/21!  I'm hosting an xmas party.  Do you know how many days will be taken up preparing for that?!"

Now, I totally understand that having the wedding 4 days before xmas is cutting it close.  Esp since, like I said, most his family has to travel from MN to CA.  However, the Winter Solstice is very special to our beliefs, and it is afterall OUR wedding.  I want his family (who can come) to be able to plan for it, but now I'm worried that members, like his "adoptive mom" wont come because of their own events.  She especially is very important to my fiance, and I know he would be crushed if she weren't there.  But at the same time, noone else made any comments about the date, if only to say "well you better get planning!".  

So ultimately, I just need to know how to handle this.  Do we try to find a different date to accomodate this one family member (as noone else seems to have a problem) or do we continue with our plans and just regret if she doesnt come?
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams

Re: 12/21/12 Wedding too close to xmas???

• We were originally going to do 12/22, both for the day after the apocalypse, and the fact that it was near Júl (we're Heathens, so I can relate!) We are in western PA, most guests would be coming from Ohio and NJ. We ended up going with 12/29 because of Christmas. The family in retail wouldn't be able to get that weekend off, and his family likes to spend Christmas in Ohio. 

In my experience, it was more important to have those people here than the specific date. We will still do a small Júl observance, plus most people will be here for New Years, so we'll see people for longer (rather than them rushing back). 

If this guest is important to your fiance, you should change the date. If he's okay with her not coming, I'd say keep that date. Other people may be not be thrilled about the date, but will go with it for your sake. After we changed our date, some people (who didn't originally voice issues with the 22nd) thanked us.
  • My wedding is 12/22/12. We choose to the date based on when myself (I'm a veterinary student) and members of the bridal party would all be available. We also need to save up some money. I'm not religious at all (even though both of our familes are), so having it near Christmas wasn't an issue for me. I would say stick with the date since it has a personal importance to you. I'm sure the one person that has an issue with it would be able to plan her party before going to the wedding and then finish up things after the wedding. That shouldn't be an issue (at least in my eyes). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are also having our wedding 12/21. Like you we're going to have issues with some family not going to be able to make it due to it being so close to christmas. Although, I think if you talk to this one person and stress how meaningful this is to the two of you she can work around her annual party to make it to your wedding this one year. I know most of family is, the ones who aren't are from Canada and have very elderly parents who will not travel. For my great uncle this could literally be his last Christmas so I completely understand.
  • IrisPetalsIrisPetals member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for the advice.  I've talked to my fiance, he is going to talk to her soon, see what can be worked out.  Though he already has the opinon that she is very important.  So I guess if she insists on not being able to plan for our wedding on the 21st, I'll just have to come up with another date.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
  • We are getting married 12/22 because it's an important date to us. We know it's close to Christmas but don't care. Our mentality is that if people can't come, that's okay and that we get it.

The date was too important to us to really care, lol. Even though people are grumpy, the majority of them still told us they're coming. 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Hi!
    I'm new to the board and I am also getting married in late December.   We chose 12/20/2012.  We thought we would play off the whole "I bet you thought the world would end before we finally got married" (dating 9 years now).  Well HA!  we're getting married the day before the world ends  ;O)

I'm sure some people won't be able to come because of the date, but that is find with us.  We have very little money to spend on this wedding (budget of $4k total), so small is good.

Good luck to all you December brides!  So happy to be among you.

Kathleen
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • osnapitskellaosnapitskella member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    My wedding is also on 12/22. I could care less how close it is to Christmas that is the guests choice to come and I know my family will be there and thats all I really care about. We did that weekend because I'm still in school. We wanted to to the 29th, since that is the day we got engaged in 2010, but thats too close to Jan and I go back to school so early in Jan, and I go to school out of state. 

Its great to have so many people getting married the same day!!! :) Oh and I saw someone is from PA, we are getting married outside of York, that is where I'm from!! :)
    "Love and electricity are one in the same my dear if you don't feel the jolt in your soul every time a kiss is shared, a whisper is spoken and a touch is felt then you're not really in love at all" Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FaithCaitlin, I totally agree! We wanted this day and dont care about anyone elses opinion. Almost all our guests are from out of town, some are right down the street. 
    We are doing it in a different state than we live in too. That gives people 2 days after to be home for Christmas and with their familes, its not too close at all.
    "Love and electricity are one in the same my dear if you don't feel the jolt in your soul every time a kiss is shared, a whisper is spoken and a touch is felt then you're not really in love at all" Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards