July 2012 Weddings
Options

QOTD Poll

1) Do you or FI post any wedding related topics on Facebook?
2) Have you had anyone invite themselves/ask where their invitation is? What do you do/say?
3) Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for?
Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: QOTD Poll

• Options
    1) Do you or FI post any wedding related topics on Facebook? Nope not beyond the intial engagement post, trying to keep it on the DL since we can't afford to invite everyone

2) Have you had anyone invite themselves/ask where their invitation is? What do you do/say?  Not yet but we haven't sent out the invites yet

3) Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for?  It's bigger, and I may have just added two more couples.....

Anniversary
  • Options
    Rebis58Rebis58 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I NEVER post anything wedding related on Facebook. Once I made a status about how lucky I was that my mom surprised me and flew my sisters out for wedding dress shopping, but that was it. FI has made a couple of statuses, one asking about advice for our honeymoon and I forget the other one. Both resulted in people asking for invitations and I asked him to stop posting anything wedding-related.

2) Have you had anyone invite themselves/ask where their invitation is? What do you do/say?
    We've had a couple on Facebook, in response to FI's status update about the honeymoon. Most of the people who asked were actually on the guest list so it wasn't a big deal. Four of them weren't on the guest list but FI asked me to add them after the awkwardness.
    The worst one happened the other day at work, two coworkers were in my office. One of them (who is inappropriate fairly often) asked "what's your wedding date again?" (which she asks at least weekly), and I told her. Then she asked where it was, and I told her the city name (city an hour away from where I live). She turned to the other lady and said  "we could totally crash that!" and laughed. The other lady looked uncomfortable and said "Nah, weddings, funerals, been there done that I don't need to go to any more.", to which the first coworker said "Well, we shound't HAVE to crash it. We SHOULD be getting invitations." and looked at me. Cue awkward laughter. I just never said anything because NO they are not invited. I would have liked to invite the second coworker, as we are fairly close, but don't feel right about picking and choosing between them and people finding out.

3) Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for?
    It was the hardest thing, and it definitely ended up bigger than I initially hoped for. We were just not good at cutting people. 
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    1 Do you or FI post any wedding related topics on Facebook? Sometimes. Maybe once every couple months 2 Have you had anyone invite themselves/ask where their invitation is? What do you do/say? A couple of people have made comments on Facebook but I just ignore them. 3 Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for? No, we decided in the beginning the guest list was going to be family only. All of our close friends are in the wp.
  • Options

FI rarely uses FB and I have not posted anything beyond changing my relationship status to avoid awkward convos regarding invites.
    I also have not had anyone ask yet but like Michelle, we have not sent out our invites yet
    We planned for a large wedding but had wanted a very small wedding.  Unfortunately my family is your typical big Catholic family so they put our list over 130 right there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    1) Do you or FI post any wedding related topics on Facebook? We don't usually
        post anything on Facebook but maybe once in awhile.
    2) Have you had anyone invite themselves/ask where their invitation is? What do you do/say? We had someone say they had been looking for their invite in    the mail but it was someone that was already going to be invited.  We haven't    had anyone else ask about invitations but we also have not sent ours out    yet.3) Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for? Our guest list is pretty much exactly what we thought it       would be.  I had wanted a destination wedding for quite some time     because I figured then it would only be close family and friends but     FI has a big family and it would really have hurt them if they were     not able to see him get married. Consequently out invite list is quite     big but it was expected. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not really. I think I posted that in 6 months I'll be getting married.

Lol. Kinda. I had one person ask if they could be invited, I sent them one :).

OH I know a big one. I had a great aunt send my mom a message asking "when that kid of hers was sending out invitations" proceeded to give her address and then said she was still waiting for hers in the mail. She was cut from the guestlist so fast. My mom told her if she wanted to know if she was invited she'd have to ask me herself. That was almost 2 months ago and she still hasn't asked :) She was cut because I can't stand her and I hate her kids lol She wasn't on the original list anyway.

A little bit. We struggled with the kids thing for a bit. They're still not invited. That includes people from out of town. Adding kids would have meant another 20 people we DONT want. FMIL threw a temper tantrum :)

It's around the original size we planned for.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    1 Do you or FI post any wedding related topics on Facebook? We posted when we got engaged, but nothing since. I liken this to talking about the wedding in front of acquaintances who aren't invited. I want to avoid the awkardness and uninvited comments. 2 Have you had anyone invite themselves/ask where their invitation is? What do you do/say? We haven't sent invites yet, but I have a coworker who has told me she is going to be singing at the wedding not invited and one of FI's mom's distant cousins let her know that she can probably make it not invited. Our general response is, we are keeping it very small. 3 Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for? I wanted it smaller, because my venue is not huge. I've only really added people because of my parents, but they are paying for the bulk of the budget, so I'm fine with it.
  • Options
    Every now and then I will.. LIke when I was at the 100 Day Mark I did. FI never post anything so he hasnt.

At the very start of our engagment I had people say.. "I better be invited" but since then I havent had people say that. 

3) Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for?We struggled a little. And our list is definitly much larger then we planned.
  • Options
    No not really! Once in awhile I might write something on FI's wall, but I never post statuses with anything WR. 

2) Have you had anyone invite themselves/ask where their invitation is? What do you do/say? Luckily no! But our invitations haven't gone out yet. 

3) Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for? The guest list is definitely a struggle. We wanted to originally invite 150, but now we are up to almost 190 including +1s. Most of the extras are from FI's father and I still haven't gotten all of the addresses yet.  That's definitely been a PITA. 
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    1) Do you or FI post any wedding related topics on Facebook? Other than our engagement pictures, nope.

No, I've had someone unsure if they were invited or not (they got their STD, but wasn't sure if we had to cut the guestlist or not...obviously not if we sent them a STD).

3) Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for? Not at all.  It's larger than the wedding size we're anticipating, but since it's OOT, most people won't show.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    1) Do you or FI post any wedding related topics on Facebook?  Not really...I just post: 9months to go!....3months to go!!!
    2) Have you had anyone invite themselves/ask where their invitation is? What do you do/say?  Yeah.  I have a 2nd cousin who I am unable to invite due to budget, she told me a few weeks ago she is so excited to introduce her boyfriend at the wedding to everyone! I kinda just bypassed the comment because I didn't want to hurt her feelings...I'm sure she is getting it because she didn't receive a shower invite & her grandma is going...and I think she'll catch it when she doesn't get an invite...haha...we'll see if it comes up again!
    3) Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for?  Yes, I definitely struggled to make my guest list...and honestly, I wanted less people, but my dad just had to have his way...Why did I cave...I was just thinking about this before I read the post...if I could cut back on about 20 people & replace only 10 of them I would....BAH!!!  it's too late now...they were already invited to the shower...grrr...need to go back in time like 8 months...
  • Options
    1) Do you or FI post any wedding related topics on Facebook? We posted our engagement pictures, and I made a status update when I booked our honeymoon. Other than that, no. 

2) Have you had anyone invite themselves/ask where their invitation is? What do you do/say? My FI had a couple who are family friends, but mostly friends with his parents, who asked my FMIL why they didn't get a STD. My FMIL told them they might be on the B-list. I was like, "WHAT???!?!?!?!?!". We in no way wanted a B-list, it was just something we talked about just in case because our venue requires a minimum of 80 but can only hold 110. This couple wasn't on ANY list though. My FI felt bad, called them and said it must have got lost in the mail, and then sent them a STD. The whole situation really irked me.

3) Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for? Uh yeah. When we started planning our wedding we were planning for 70-80 so the fact that our venue only held 110 was fine. Once we started making a real guest list we realized how ridiculous that original figure was. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    1) Do you or FI post any wedding related topics on Facebook? Not really. Ocassionally I'll say something like I'm excited to see my family when they come, so it's not really 100% WR

2) Have you had anyone invite themselves/ask where their invitation is? What do you do/say? No but we had a pretty funny scenario happen when we were in the States in Feb. A cousin of mine is really distant from the family, in fact I hadn't seen her since I was a teenager!! I've always thought of her to be a little cold and anti-social because of this... all of our family is very close. Anyway she has 4 other sisters and they've all been talking about coming. I was at their parent's house visiting two of the sisters and the cousin I never see quickly came over to drop her son off. As she's rushing and says goodbye to FI and I she's like "Oh and congratulations on the engagement. I reeeally want to go to the wedding but you know how things are with finances and all. It's tough and I don't know if we'll be able to make it but we'll try. Ok bye!!" And I'm thinking "Oh ok, you weren't invited anyway. See ya!" Hahaha I found the whole thing to be very funny. How she's randomly saying untrue stuff just to be "polite" lol I don't give a crap I wasn't inviting you.

My grandma has been getting on my nerves though. She keeps calling my mom like several times a week to ask her if I've sent invites to so and so. She's like "did she send one to ____?? Because if she doesn't get her official invitation, she won't go!!" First of all, one of the aunts she asked about already received her invitation. But my gma has assumed she didn't get it because "my aunt hasn't mentioned it to her yet" hahaha. So annoying. The other people she's asked about are local and that means I'm not sending their invites til May. Chill out abuelita!!! You're killing me here!!

3) Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for? Yes. I always dreamed of having a big wedding. We don't have the budget for it though. My family is very large and I'm not good at hurting feelings without feeling guilty or worried about it. It's very hard for me to keep the list at 70 :(
  • Options
    mekiakoomekiakoo member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I know I'm late but I love questions!!

1) Do you or FI post any wedding related topics on Facebook? Nope. My profile picture is one of our e-pics though.  

2) Have you had anyone invite themselves/ask where their invitation is? What do you do/say? Yes, it's annoying. I tell them that the invites haven't gone out (for those who are invited) or that we would have loved to have everybody to come, but just can't have everybody due to $$ and how big FI's family is.

3) Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for? We really struggled with keepint it under the 220 limit. We were up to 350 and still wanted to add more people, but our venue has a 220 people limit. So we had to cut out a lot of people. We wish we came up with our guest list BEFORE picking out a venue. We also struggled with the kids and ended up deciding that we'll have kids from our families, but not friends' kids. 
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    1) Do you or FI post any wedding related topics on Facebook? nope. we have had some family members/close friends post about getting their save the dates, being excited for our wedding, etc. on facebook, but otherwise, the only thing FI or I ever posted was our initial engagement announcement.  I guess we both are using some of our E-pics in our profile photo/cover photos, but that isn't exactly WR.   
    2) Have you had anyone invite themselves/ask where their invitation is? What do you do/say? my fiance works occasionally out of a different oncology clinic on another side of town as his hospital is currently short staffed and this clinic needs extra help. The women at this clinic hound him EVERY DAY about where their invitation is, what menu choice they want, what kind of cake they are hoping to eat at our wedding, etc. Fiance really hardly knows them, and it's really awkward. He finally just had to say "I'm sorry, but we have budgetary constraints and space constraints, so we are not able to invite everyone that we would like to, so I won't be able to invite all of my co-workers to our wedding." that shut them up.
    3) Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for? YES. if budget was no concern, we would have seriously invited at least 400 people. we have lots of friends and my family is massive. we are currently at 260. We had originally estimated 200, so with the people who can't come, we will probably be relatively close to that.
  • Options

On occasion, I will post something but I try to keep it to a minimum to avoid awkwardness.

Actually, this has been quite a problem. I have had had numerous people who aren't even really our friends ask if they are invited (casual acquaintances, high school friends). I've told them that we are having a small wedding for family and close friends only. One person actually ok but when will I get my invitation!

This was very tough for us. We set a 100 person limit from the onset - due to budget. We decided to have no kids because I wanted to invite more friends. If we had only the kids from our family, it would put us at 30 extra people! My brother - 8 of his own. If you added in kids for the guests, it would more than double our guest list. That's been really hard to explain to my brother and FI's siblings that their children are not invited to reception. The ceremony - is family only and the kids are invited to that. But our wedding is currently sitting at 92 guests (that puts us at 100 for food when you add us, my children, the photographer, and sound staff).
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    1) Do you or FI post any wedding related topics on Facebook? Sometimes, but it usually how many days left.
    2) Have you had anyone invite themselves/ask where their invitation is? What do you do/say?Yes, all the time and we just change the subject.
    3) Did you struggle making your guestlist? Is it bigger/smaller than you initially wanted/planned for? It is way bigger than I anticipated. I was thinking that we were only going to have 200 people and we ended up with almost 300! At the moment i tell FI that we should of went somewhere warm and just got married on the beach like I have always dreamed about.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards