Snarky Brides
Options

I'm a jerkface

Some of you may have seen me post earlier about the fact that my mom and dad may move back in together and how I thought it was a terrible idea because I thought he was using her.

Well, she told us tonight that the real reason behind the sudden push for her to move in was due to the fact that he's been diagnosed with Parkinson's. In addition, he's been having small strokes for the past few months and will pass out with out notice. He's going to have more tests run early next week to find out more.

So, he really does need someone to care for him.

I'm an asshole.

Re: I'm a jerkface

• Options
    Aww, you're not an ass. You didn't know. I'm sorry :(
  • Options
    Thanks, Roxy. :)
  • Options
    You could only be deemed and a$$hole in this situation, if you had known all of this and still came to your original conclusion.

A$$hole is cancelled out by the additional information.
    Which did you like better? "Jedi" or "The Empire Strikes Back"? "Empire". Blasphemy. "Empire" had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets.
  • Options
    You're not an asshole. You didn't know. Don't beat yourself up about it. I am very sorry that you have to deal with this. Frown
  • Options
    CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I'm sorry to hear about your dad. 

I don't know your situation, so this might not be entirely appropriate to say (if so, I apologize!) -- but if the only reason he wants her to move back in is so she can take care of him through his illness, then he is sort of, kind of using her.  I don't think you're an asshole; just a realist, and that's a good thing.
  • Options

You are not a jerkface. Your instinct is to protect your mother from the hurt he's caused her in the past. It's only natural.

I'm sorry your father is going through this, but when behavior like this goes on for so many years it's no wonder people jump to conclusions.

I hope they will be ok.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Definitely NOT an ass cew. Good lord, how could you have known? Even now that you do know, I think it is completely normal to be a bit wary. The bottom line is you are an amazing person. Your heart was in the right place and I know it still is.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_im-jerkface?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:06a4cf8a-54af-48f8-8285-eaa13c9715cfPost:8d5fca60-5907-4ea8-8977-b6d0ba6fb0c4">Re: I'm a jerkface</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry to hear about your dad.  I don't know your situation, so this might not be entirely appropriate to say (if so, I apologize!) -- but if the only reason he wants her to move back in is so she can take care of him through his illness, then he is sort of, kind of using her.  I don't think you're an asshole; just a realist, and that's a good thing.
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

I agree, I was about to write the same thing but was thinking about the right way to word it when Celles posted.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I'm so thankful to have you all to talk to. I'm just kind of in shock about it all.

And Celles, you are totally right. He is definitely still using her. But before, I thought it was more about money. I totally support her moving in to care for him because I actually think he would do the same for her.
  • Options
    Oh no, how terrible.  I don't know the back story, but I sympathize with you.
  • Options
    Cew, I'm so sorry.  Your heart was in the right place with your worries before.  You're not a jerkface, I promise.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Aww so sorry for your dad :( I think you just love your mom a lot, thats all.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I really do love you all. I'm so thankful for you.
  • Options
    You are not a jerk. Not at all. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    LedZeppelinLedZeppelin member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I don't the backstory, but I just wanted to add that I, like PPs, don't think you're an ass.

I am, also, very sorry that your dad (and your family really) is going through this.

*edited for spelling.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Can I just ditto Nebb and Meaghan? Hugs, Cew.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    That sucks about you dad Cew and I don't think you are an ass for just trying to protect your mom.  You didn't know the situation.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm really sorry to hear about your father, cew. 

And I don't think you're a jerkface, either.
    panther
  • Options
    Aww Cew you didn't know that. You are not an asshole!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I really do feel better now. I just hate that I made my mom feel bad about it last night before I knew the whole story. I apologized to her if I was insensitive.

Does anyone know anything about Parkinson's?
  • Options
    I don't know much about Parkinson's other than what I've heard about Michael J. Fox, to be honest - but I think it's degenerative, and at the time there is no cure.  I think there are medications that can help control the tremors.  And I think people who are advocates for stem cell research cite Parkinson's as a disease that could hopefully be cured.

When I read your OP my heart just sank.  I don't know much about your parents or your dad - but I just can't imagine that hearing this kind of news about anyone would make anyone feel good.
    panther
  • Options
    No. I don't sorry. I use this resource for case studies if you want to read up on the disease.

http://www.medicinenet.com/parkinsons_disease/article.htm
  • Options
    My grandmother's boyfriend (companion?  Boyfriend sounds ridiculous at their age) has Parkinson's.  It is degenerative, but I know he is also on a special diet to help him with stomach issues--not sure if that's a side issue or also caused by the Parkinson's.
  • Options
    My grandmother had Parkinsons for nearly 20 years before she passed away (not from the Parkinsons, though) and it was pretty upsetting to see it progress. The thing is that it's a little bit better understood now, and from what I've learned, the drugs available now are much better at controlling and alleviating the symptoms. It's possible to lead a relatively normal life even with a diagnosis. Just look at Michael J. Fox...he's such a great example of coping even in the face of a scary diagnosis.
  • Options
    Thanks Ang and AATB. I'm in the same boat with you, AATB. The only exposure I have to it is through MJ Fox.

He goes to the dr next week and is bringing my mom with him so that she can learn more about it.

I'm just so sad for him because his health is already so bad. And the thought of him passing out at home, alone, with no one to be there when he wakes up, breaks my heart. He must be so scared when it happens.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_im-jerkface?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:06a4cf8a-54af-48f8-8285-eaa13c9715cfPost:4e2e06f0-4559-4f26-b56c-c56c831d3cbc">Re: I'm a jerkface</a>:
    [QUOTE]My grandmother had Parkinsons for nearly 20 years before she passed away ( not from the Parkinsons, though) and it was pretty upsetting to see it progress. <strong>The thing is that it's a little bit better understood now, and from what I've learned, the drugs available now are much better at controlling and alleviating the symptoms</strong>. It's possible to lead a relatively normal life even with a diagnosis. Just look at Michael J. Fox...he's such a great example of coping even in the face of a scary diagnosis.
    Posted by september's bride[/QUOTE]

This is awesome news. Thanks for sharing the info.
  • Options
    Well I certainly hope the best for him and your mom and the rest of your family cew.  It sounds just terrifying.
    panther
  • Options
    It's true that the medicine available now is potent and does help.  Ben was diagnosed when I was first in college and has been living with the disease since.  He is still running his construction business (his office is in their home, which helps) and the medicine has helped with the tremors and other symptoms, as well.  He is able to talk and interact with us and is not in pain or mentally incapacitated in any way.
  • Options
    That's awesome. And what a great name he has! :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_im-jerkface?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:06a4cf8a-54af-48f8-8285-eaa13c9715cfPost:2cf45dd3-f837-4949-b1d6-876c9c781892">Re: I'm a jerkface</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's awesome. And what a great name he has! :)
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]
    You'll be happier to know that he picked it himself.  He's Italian (right off the boat) and his real name is Biagio.  How he got Ben from that, I don't know, but that's what he picked.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards