Snarky Brides
Options

So this malt vinegar thing

What else do you put it on? I want to try and locate some of this stuff. Is it sweet or sour?

Re: So this malt vinegar thing

• Options
    French Fries and fried fish.

But - it's awesome on french fries with season-all. I also dip mine in ketchup afterwards, but I'm a condiment hoar that way.

It's - concentrated. I wouldn't substitute it in a recipe calling for cider vinegar or white vinegar. It's different from them like balsamic vinegar is different, but "tangier."
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Good I don't like sweet vinegar!
  • Options
    SO GOOD!!
  • Options
    Strong ang tangy.

Fish & chips are the tastiest with malt vinegar!
    If you're feeling ambitious, most English recipes that call for vinegar as an ingredient are talking about malt vinegar. Like in pickling and many marinades.
  • Options

Can I put it on non fried stuff like eggs or beets?

• Options
    Ick. I used to work at a restaurant that had fish and chips as the lunch special every Friday. The smell of malt vinegar makes me want to puke now.
  • Options
    Good to know JC!

The only reason I ask is b/c cant have fried food too often.
  • Options
    I bet it would be good on beets.  Greens, too.

• Options
    My roommate used to put it on avocados. Apparently it is delicious...
    my read shelf:
    Elysia's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Apple cider vinegar is good on the greens at Cracker Barrel. Those are the only ones I've had/ only ones I care to have. The malt might go well on them, too.

I'm not sure about eggs - like egg salad? It may be too overpowering for the eggs. But for canned or fresh cooked beets, I think it would work.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    I hate malt vinegar. It smells like dirty feet to me, so I can't eat it. I hate to go into Restaurants that do a fish fry on Friday because the smell is just over powering. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Malt vinegar is awesome. Put it on nuts with some sea salt and then taost them in the oven. Salt and vinegar nuts ... Mmmm.
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-malt-vinegar-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:070d4549-f810-45df-a0ef-b93f54533378Post:c59d0158-6c20-4722-9778-764a7d72cdda">Re: So this malt vinegar thing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Malt vinegar is awesome. Put it on nuts with some sea salt and then taost them in the oven. Salt and vinegar nuts ... Mmmm.
    Posted by JenGin74[/QUOTE]

this is the most amazing thing I have heard of. Im going home to do it tonight

I LOVE MALT VINEGAR. I literally go through a bottle a month
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • Options
    When I was in Victoria in Summer 2009, I had the most amazing fish and chips.  It was the only time I really understood how malt vinegar works.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    mmm...I just had some fish and chips sunday with malt vinegar...
    sorry I'm no help except to say that it is indeed delicious!
  • Options
    that sounds amazing. i'm obsessed with salt and vinegar chips, so i'm pretty sure i'd love this malt vinegar.
  • Options
    Ok, now I want fish and chips with vinegar. And of course I pass a cheap place on the way home (LJS).
     Must.resist.for.now.

Ang, you could slice a potato really thin, sprinkle them with salt, and roast them until they're crispy/soft (the thinner ones will be crispier than the thicker ones) and eat them with malt vinegar. No fried food there.
  • Options
    K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010

Make homemade baked sweet potato chips (easiest if you have a mandolin so you can slice them super thin w/o losing a finger tip) with it and sea salt. It's salty, sour, sweet deliciousness.

ETA: Basically what Missy said, but with a sweet potato, scrub them really good and leave the skin on too, yum!

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_this-malt-vinegar-thing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:070d4549-f810-45df-a0ef-b93f54533378Post:1772d9f8-a9f0-4a68-a8a7-2c8fc589d68e">Re: So this malt vinegar thing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Random rumination... when I was pregnant, one of the only things that helped with my nausea in my first trimester was salt and vinegar chips. LOVE malt vinegar.
    Posted by mag920[/QUOTE]

sweet! i need to go get pregnant so i have an excuse to stock up on salt and vinegar chips. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards