Snarky Brides

Any lawyers/ law school grads? (not really legal-related)

Random question. One of my best friends just graduated from law school, and I want to get her some personalized stationery to use.  BUT, do I add her new degree in there somehow?  (first last, J.D. or what?)

Re: Any lawyers/ law school grads? (not really legal-related)

• MandK9MandK9 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I'm not a law school grad, but this did just come up with my cousin the other day.  She posted on her FB that she was now "First Last, Esq" and that next weekend (when she gets married) she'll be "First New Last, Esq."  One of her law school colleagues told her she was going to get in big trouble for using Esq before she passed the Bar, and she better change that to JD pronto. I rolled my eyes hard.

But anyway, I think First Last, J.D. would be nice.

ETA: Oops. Should elaborate on the eye-rolling, in case people take it wrong.  Eye-roll, in response to someone thinking that my cousin was trying to practice law with a JD before passing the Bar, and for correcting her on a "congrats" post.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Firstname Lastname, Esquire is another way you could do it. That's the one I like.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Oh wow. I didn't read MandK's post. I didn't know you couldn't use Esquire til after you passed the bar.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lawyers-law-school-grads-not-really-legal-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0a54a46a-1324-4342-837b-0bd4bef6e8f9Post:8d51e43b-487d-45ae-a928-6ac95a32b63b">Re: Any lawyers/ law school grads? (not really legal-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not a law school grad, but this did just come up with my cousin the other day.  She posted on her FB that she was now "First Last, Esq" and that next weekend (when she gets married) she'll be "First New Last, Esq."  One of her law school colleagues told her she was going to get in big trouble for using Esq before she passed the Bar, and she better change that to JD pronto. I rolled my eyes hard. But anyway, I think First Last, J.D. would be nice. ETA: Oops. Should elaborate on the eye-rolling, in case people take it wrong.  Eye-roll, in response to someone thinking that my cousin was trying to practice law with a JD before passing the Bar, and for correcting her on a "congrats" post.
    Posted by MandK9[/QUOTE]

Haha. 

I was like - technically, that is 100% correct.  Esquire implies that you passed the bar; JD means you graduated law school.

Steph - I'd get her stuff with Esq on it, honestly.  Chances are, she'll pass the bar and then her JD stationery will be obsolete.
  • MandK9MandK9 member
    First Comment
    Oh, oops, can you not use J.D. after you pass?  I really have no expertise here.  I thought you could use either, I guess. *shrug* Shows what I know.

• LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    Honestly, I don't know anyone who uses ESQ next to their name. It's kind of pretentious, IMO...

It's assumed if you're practicing law that you've passed the bar. The only ppl who send me mail to First Name Last Name Esq are the bar association people and the alumni association from my law school.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am a new attorney and none of my colleagues use "Esquire". My business card says:
    FirstName LastName
    Attorney at law

I would get her stationary that says it that way. Also, I would like to suggest getting her a nice business card holder. I bought myself one from Kate Spade when the website had some promo going on and I love it.

• My husband uses Esquire after his name on anything related to his job.  ::shrug::  Different strokes for different folks.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lawyers-law-school-grads-not-really-legal-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0a54a46a-1324-4342-837b-0bd4bef6e8f9Post:67884261-04f2-4871-a8c9-31d8edc6d415">Re: Any lawyers/ law school grads? (not really legal-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]My husband uses Esquire after his name on anything related to his job.  ::shrug::  Different strokes for different folks.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's a regional thing. Interesting.
  • Anne326Anne326 member
    First Comment
    Hi. Lawyer here. The only time I use Esq. is when I am doing work stuff. My business cards say "First Name Last Name, Esquire". PPs are correct that Esq. is technically used only if you pass the Bar, but most people eventually pass the bar, so I would go with that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't use Esquire after my name for anything (maybe I did in the first letters I wrote at work), and it's rare in correspondence that I've received.  When I have seen it, it's been on the person's law firm stationery.  I think the only thing I receive addressed to TheCranberry, Esq. is from my law school and bar associations.  I've never used or seen TheCranberry, JD.

I would rather receive a nice business card holder than stationery with my name on it.  If she's working at a firm, all of her work correspondence will be on the firm's letterhead.  You could also get her a nice portfolio with her name on it (with or without Esq).

I don't actually know the rules about using Esquire.  Haha. 
  • hmm. Good discussion! Thanks!  She loves stationery (cards, etc), so that's why I wanted to gift her some cards. I thought it would be fun to add her new 'title' too.  Maybe I'll just add the esq. and let her decide when to use them.

I might look at a nice business card holder, too, though.
  • Oh, if she loves stationery then go for it.  I would use Esq. since she can use that longer.  I'm not into stationery so I would rarely use it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_lawyers-law-school-grads-not-really-legal-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0a54a46a-1324-4342-837b-0bd4bef6e8f9Post:04efd75d-863c-4555-b4a0-b8bcf0183b80">Re: Any lawyers/ law school grads? (not really legal-related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't use Esquire after my name for anything (maybe I did in the first letters I wrote at work), and it's rare in correspondence that I've received.  When I have seen it, it's been on the person's law firm stationery.  I think the only thing I receive addressed to TheCranberry, Esq. is from my law school and bar associations.  I've never used or seen TheCranberry, JD. I would rather receive a nice business card holder than stationery with my name on it.<strong>  If she's working at a firm, all of her work correspondence will be on the firm's letterhead.</strong>  You could also get her a nice portfolio with her name on it (with or without Esq). I don't actually know the rules about using Esquire.  Haha. 
    Posted by TheCranberry[/QUOTE]

I didn't even think about this. You're right. I don't have my own stationary for work, nor would I send personal correspondence on stationary that identified my title as an attorney.
    I love having a chic business card holder. It makes me perk up everytime I get a business card out to give to someone.
  • edited May 2011
    kinda late here.... but stationary is the best! (hehe i know we share this love). As everyone said- no esquire unless she has passed the bar and been admitted in her state. I would just do her name. You can add the J.D. in there if you want too but its just like a B.S. or a B.A so its not usually there....

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • As much as I love stationary I do adore my business card holder.  I'm assuming we're talking about the ones that you carry in your purse?  When I graduated with my MBA and got into Law school H gave me a sterling silver one that is engraved.  Its wonderful and very meaningful to use everyday.

In my area at least and with the correspondence I've done with most firms in the region work related anything is the name followed by Esq.  I don't view it as pretentious.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    When my dear friend graduated from law school, I got her stationery with Her Name, Esq. on it.  I figured that it was only a finite amount of time until she passed the bar.
  • I have known people who didn't pass the bar on the first second or third try.  So, if she is taking the Bar in California, New York or Virginia you might want to wait on the Esquire.  It could be a slap in the face and she probably wouldn't use them professionally anyway.  Also, I wouldn't use J.D.  it usually singles out  those who failed the Bar exam.  But I agree, the Esquires who use Esquire are trying to prove something.
    If she just graduated law school she is probably broke and jobless, get her a gift card for a massage/starbucks/yoga classes/xanax  she will use the hell out of it studying for the bar.

• jess9802jess9802 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited May 2011
    If you want to give her a gift that she'll use professionally, I'd go with the business card holder. I received one as a law school graduation gift and have used it ever since I went into practice. As others have said, your friend's employer will provide her with stationery.

The use of Esq. does seem to be regional; it's not used here in Oregon. As I understand, one does not call oneself an Esquire; it is a courtesy you bestow on others. When using Esq., you do not use Mr. or Ms. Even if the use of Esq. isn't pretentious, pointing out that one is a lawyer in social settings is, or is obnoxious at the very least. If you want to get her nice stationery, do so, but leave off Esq. or Attorney at Law.
  • I think it would be fun to get her a small pack of stationary as a fun gift and then a business card holder for work. Sil is a partner at a law firm and only goes by Ms. First Last or just First Last with correspondance and pp's have a good point about using firm stationary.

I know it would make me smile to see a little pack of papers with a JD or Esq. on it though, even if I just used it to write my mom letters or something.
  • Like I said, I wanted to get her stationery. I like the idea of a business card holder, too, though.  Didn't realliy ask about whether I should buy her a massage or anything, so that was a little strange of a response, but thanks?

I do appreciate (most) of this thread, though. I had no idea that JD was really only used for those who hadn't passed the bar.  And, really... even if 'esq' is pretentious, who givesashit?  She passed the freaking bar and finished lawschool. I'd brag about that too. And it's totally like her to love showing off the degree anyway ;)
  • Stef- you should TOTALLY get her xanax.....

Undecided
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • WOOHOO! Let's promote self medication, all while minimalizing mental disorders.
  • I was given a gift card for a massage upon completing first year......but that was from H.  That's a little strange to recommend a stranger give to a cousin. 

I didn't know the Esq. vs. J.D. till we had to take this beyond boring professional responsibility classes that drilled it into us that we are not lawyers, it is illegal to call ourselves lawyers till passing the bar, its an ethics violation blah blah blah.  They made it sound really scary. 
  • LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    Well if you want to get her stationery, then get it with Esquire since JD isn't used at all. I just think that no one uses Esquire (except in some professional settings) and I can't imagine her using stationery or cards with a title on it like that for personal reasons. And unless she's opening her own law office, she'll have firm stationery she has to use.

I work with big firms across the country. I've seen business cards with first name last name associate/partner/counsel under it. Or just business cards with names on it, assumption being if you're handing a card from a firm/using firm letterhead, you're an attorney unless you say otherwise. Until I passed the bar, my firm had me add Law Clerk to all my stuff. Once I passed, I took Law Clerk off and was just First Name Last Name. I love stationery and cards. Love it. I have all different kinds. I cannot imagine using anything that had my name, esquire on it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards