Snarky Brides
Options

Holy Momzilla!

Backstory: I've been engaged since 2010 (yeah....seriously).  We decided to post-pone the wedding because I am currently a Registered Nursing student and didn't want the stress of planning a wedding, so we've been doing it a little (very little) at a time to alleviate the stress.  Well now that the wedding is 4 months away, my mom has went OFF HER ROCKER!!!

I've changed my mind on a few minor things (like how to display the seating chart) and she gives me the cold shoulder.  She is trying to blow my budget out of the water (my parents are contributing, along with FI parent's, but we are taking the larger chunk of the bill).  I did get some quotes from florists, but then my FMIL mentioned her retired florist mom would make the flower arrangements, bouquets, etc.  My mother is upset I am not using a "real" florist.  She wants a candy bar, I think it's a nice idea, but it's at the bottom of my list and I want to see where my budget is first.  She got angry that I didn't require my bridesmaids to wear matching shoes, I told her I'd have to buy them, and I didn't want that expense, she said, "uh, no, they need to buy them, it's their responsibility"....so she's mad the girls' shoes don't match, then she did the same thing about the groomsmen, she wants them in matching shoes that aren't rentable through the tux company.  The groomsmen are just wearing vests, no jackets, so she rationalized this by saying because they don't have to pay for jackets, it shouldn't matter that they have to pay for shoes.  

She wants pomanders down the aisle on sheppard's hooks, I don't, I want rose petals.  She's mad.  I don't want to do a garter toss or bouquet toss (we are giving my bouquet to the couple who has been married the longest) she's mad.  She wants me to go through a particular baking company, I picked a different one.  She's mad.

The worst part is, it isn't a 'yell at me' kind of mad.  It's a 'she'll ask me about things, I'll say something, she'll get short, rude, cold and kind of snobby' mad.  She never says she's mad, you can just tell by her cold shoulder and her constantly giving opinions.  I try to avoid wedding talk with her, but she blows me up all day asking questions, if I change the subject it comes back to wedding talk.  

My mom is usually opinionated and can be hard to deal with, but she usually snaps out of it but it's usually when we (me and my siblings) do what she wants.  These are subjects I am not willing to bend on.  I've talked to her explaining this as nicely as possible, she hasn't talked to me since I told her she can't invite people to the shower that are not coming to the wedding and she keeps asking me about shower stuff, I say I don't know I am not planning it, contact so and so, she gets mad I wont contact them for her (she knows them, well, she doesn't like that I wont call but I think it's rude for me to get involved with the shower) It is better than her nagging and complaining to me, but it was not what I wanted, I wanted her to quit being a teenager.  Do I just bite the bullet and let her be mad???  Try talking again even though I've already said what I needed to and she blew me off??? 

Sorry so long.

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

Re: Holy Momzilla!

• Options
    I only skimmed, but let her be mad. If you have to, give her her money back. Pay for it yourself, so she doesn't have any say. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_holy-momzilla?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0bed7bb8-7d52-408d-8559-843ed3b5f076Post:3dde8ec5-327d-4eea-9d6d-ed1069ca6cee">Re: Holy Momzilla!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only skimmed, but let her be mad. If you have to, give her her money back. Pay for it yourself, so she doesn't have any say. 
    Posted by misssunshine17[/QUOTE]

I know telling her to respectively "shove it" and giving the money back will lead to a big dispute and some family drama for quite sometime.  I know it's an option, but I am trying to avoid awkward Holiday's for the next year.  She tends to hold a grudge. 

• Options
    I agree with PP. You know that she has a history of doing this and she doesn't back down until you or your siblings give her her own way - so why should she stop?

Thank her for the contribution, but return it. I'd say something to the effect of, "thanks for the thought, but I don't want things to be awkward between us, and since we can't agree on the wedding, I'd feel bad about taking the money."

It might make for anawkward holiday or two, but isn't it better to put your foot down now, than deal with this forever?

Imagine what she'll be like if you have children...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with Jenny. I know it's a seriously sucky situation. Maybe you can give it one last college try. Sit down down and explain how you're feeling, really let her see how much it's bothering you. If that isn't enough to soften her, give her money back. By letting her behave this way, you're enabling her. She'll have a field day when you have kids/buy a house, etc. 
  • Options
    You know, there are worst things.  Your mom could be like mine and have no interest in anything wedding what so ever. To the point that she changes the subject when I mention anything wedding related.  My parents are not contributing, and while I'm fine with it (although I'd appreciate the help), I'd love a little excitement.  

I asked her for addresses for the family members I couldn't find online or in old address books, over a week ago via email (which she asked me to do) and haven't gotten a response.  Even called her to make sure she got the email.  She did.  But apparently she cant find the time to find me 5 addresses and email me back.  She's too busy complaining that I'm getting married. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    PookiesonPookieson member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_holy-momzilla?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0bed7bb8-7d52-408d-8559-843ed3b5f076Post:eac00037-84b4-45e4-bdf6-b739360c2863">Re: Holy Momzilla!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with PP. You know that she has a history of doing this and she doesn't back down until you or your siblings give her her own way - so why should she stop? Thank her for the contribution, but return it. I'd say something to the effect of, "thanks for the thought, but I don't want things to be awkward between us, and since we can't agree on the wedding, I'd feel bad about taking the money." It might make for anawkward holiday or two, but isn't it better to put your foot down now, than deal with this forever? Imagine what she'll be like if you have children...
    Posted by jennylee813[/QUOTE]

I already have a child....yeah....I've put my foot down there A LOT.  *sigh* I guess I just got my hopes up that 2 ish years had went by and no drama...fast foward to last 4 months and the &*$#@ hits the fan.  Dang it.  So close.

Edit to add we already bought a house too.  She wasn't too bad for that, but she wasn't contributing and I don't work so it was solely "fiances" money so I don't think she felt as comfortable putting her two cents in. Maybe since it is still "fiances" money, if I give the money back I know she'll back off, but holy crap she will be a tyrant. She can be really, really nasty. I just don't want to deal with the drama :(

• Options
    This is quite snarky, but to let her know you are really upset, you could start sobbing next time she pulls that crap. Sob, sob, sob, that you really want to get along, really want the wedding to be nice, really are blowing the budget, really want to please everybody, etc. That crying card really gets to me when my daughters do it. I will do anything to make my little girl happy. This is sort of acting like the teenager you said she is acting like
  • Options
    Okay, if you're a mother and have a house, put your big girl panties on and tell her to back off. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_holy-momzilla?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0bed7bb8-7d52-408d-8559-843ed3b5f076Post:616da392-3de3-413f-a186-7200f930af18">Re: Holy Momzilla!</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is quite snarky, but to let her know you are really upset, you could start sobbing next time she pulls that crap. Sob, sob, sob, that you really want to get along, really want the wedding to be nice, really are blowing the budget, really want to please everybody, etc. That crying card really gets to me when my daughters do it. I will do anything to make my little girl happy. This is sort of acting like the teenager you said she is acting like
    Posted by va4ryans[/QUOTE]

:) I'm not sure I can cry on command!  Besides, I'm sure she would know it was a farce because I just don't behave that way.  I have no problem telling her to back off, I guess I'm just hoping someone has a magical solution to make her chill out and save me the drama of her being mad for a year and a total jerk during the rest of the wedding planning and the wedding.

Oh, she's also mad at my MOH, my sister, because she told her she was going to come to our honeymoon because we need a babysitter.  We are going for the weekend to the coast by ourselves while my sis is watching DD, and the following week we are going to disneyland with DD...apparently she thinkgs she is going to disneyland. Sister told her she is a little crazy inviting herself, she got mad and said we need a sitter and my sister is ridiculous to think we can go by ourselves with a "baby"....yeah, my daughter is six. *sigh*.  Thank goodness my sister put her foot down there to save me the drama.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_holy-momzilla?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:0bed7bb8-7d52-408d-8559-843ed3b5f076Post:29667e21-170f-4727-aacf-512acb76553b">Re: Holy Momzilla!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, if you're a mother and have a house, put your big girl panties on and tell her to back off. 
    Posted by misssunshine17[/QUOTE]

I have told her to back off nicely but it isn't working.  Like I said, I have no problem telling her to "shove it" so to speak, I just know this will lead to family drama and I don't want to have to deal with it.  I'm looking for advice from other brides that have maybe had this issue and were able to amicably calm the beast without compromising their wedding.  Like maybe assigning them specific tasks that are wedding related to keep them busy.  I don't think trying to find a better way to avoid a blowout is me being a coward.  I can put on those "big girl panties" I just know what comes with those panties and I'm trying to find a better way for all involved.

• Options
    Lyndsay, I get what you're saying (my mom has no interest in my wedding either), but my ex MIL was a lot like OP's mom, and it was horrible.

OP, your mom expects to go on your honeymoon? for real? Listen, I took my kids to Disney BY MYSELF, and we all survived. Tell her that you're a grown up and you and your husband can take care of DD on your family vacation just fine.

Sometimes a little drama now will make for less down the road, even if the present fallout is greater. The sooner she learns that she can't walk all over you, the sooner she'll back off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My mom is the same way...anytime I dont agree with something, she just gives me the cold shoulder. She goes from "Im not helping you pay for anything" to ordering my invites and save the dates the very next day. She is crazy! When I first got engaged she started buying all these things and planning everything, and I got really freaked out so I told my MOH (my cousin) and when my MOH tried talking to my mom about it, it resulted in her & I not talking for a week. FInally, I just said to her to stop acting like this is her wedding, and while I appreciate her help, final decisions come down to me and my fiance.
    I hope it all works out for you! Just know you are not alone in this situation...Im sure alot of other brides are prob having similar issues.
    Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_holy-momzilla?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0bed7bb8-7d52-408d-8559-843ed3b5f076Post:6ca3c91c-2ed8-4f6c-99a5-0076da92359e">Re: Holy Momzilla!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lyndsay, I get what you're saying (my mom has no interest in my wedding either), but my ex MIL was a lot like OP's mom, and it was horrible. 
    Posted by jennylee813[/QUOTE]

<div>My FMIL is more obsessed with wedding planning than I am.  And she's not financially contributing either.  But she means well.  I was just trying to give her a different prospective.  I'm not saying I want Momzilla, but it would be nice if she would at least show a little interest in something.  I don't even think she wants to come dress shopping.  It's kind of a good news killer.  </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_holy-momzilla?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:0bed7bb8-7d52-408d-8559-843ed3b5f076Post:b766b094-0669-4ee4-b98b-7546c08136e4">Re: Holy Momzilla!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Holy Momzilla! : My FMIL is more obsessed with wedding planning than I am.  And she's not financially contributing either.  But she means well.  I was just trying to give her a different prospective.  I'm not saying I want Momzilla, but it would be nice if she would at least show a little interest in something.  I don't even think she wants to come dress shopping.  It's kind of a good news killer.  
    Posted by lyndsay782[/QUOTE]

I've come to realize, and accept, that my mom is just a negative person. When I told her we were getting married, her response was, "well, I guess you should be just as stupid as the rest of us."

I'm not letting it ruin anything for me. I did that for too long.

If your mom isn't excited and doesn't want to be a part of it, don't let that ruin it for you. I've been there, and it isn't worth it. Invite her, and take it for what it is. Either she goes or she doesn't, but don't let it change anything for you. You can only control your own actions. It took me a long time to realize this, and I'm much better off now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Holy Momzilla!:[QUOTE]You know, there are worst things. nbsp;Your mom could be like mine and have no interest in anything wedding what so ever. To the point that she changes the subject when I mention anything wedding related. nbsp;My parents are not contributing, and while I'm fine with it although I'd appreciate the help, I'd love a little excitement. nbsp;I asked her for addresses for the family members I couldn't find online or in old address books, over a week ago via email which she asked me to do and haven't gotten a response. nbsp;Even called her to make sure she got the email. nbsp;She did. nbsp;But apparently she cant find the time to find me 5 addresses and email me back. nbsp;She's too busy complaining that I'm getting married.nbsp; Posted by lyndsay782[/QUOTE]

THIS right here! ND its PISSIN ME OFF...
    ****The Future Mrs. Ikeard**** wedding countdown
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards