Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Intro/ outdoor in Texas in April?!

Hello Ladies!

I just wanted to make a quick introduction and ask for your input! Depending on your definition of "engaged" I am or I'm not. I don't have a ring yet, but we've picked it out and I'm just waiting on the "will you?" We've decided on April 2012 (21st or 28th), but I have a few concerns.

We haven't gone very deep into planning yet, but we've have our ideas. For the ceremony and reception, we would ideally like to have both outside at a friend's bed and breakfast, but it doesn't have sufficient indoor facilities for a plan B. So here are my questions:

1.) Who has had or is planning an outdoor wedding in April?
2.) Did you have a plan B and did you have to use it? Or what is your plan B?
3.) What was the weather like? Temp, wind, precip? (This April 2010 was WINDY!)
4.) Did any of you hold your ceremony/ reception inside an enclosed tent if it was raining? (my concern is humidity)

I know that Texas weather is extremely unpredictable and I have considered that in regards to planning. I'd just like to hear your experiences/plans!
May Siggy Challenge: Favorite Band

Re: Intro/ outdoor in Texas in April?!

• Options
    edited December 2011

First of all, welcome! As for whether or not you're engaged ... DH actually asked me IF I'd say yes IF he asked me to marry him ... spur of the moment, at a bar, and I said yes. So when I was telling friends about the sort-of engagement, they told me: if you and he both know you're going to get married, then you're engaged! I think that fits for you too :)

As for outdoor weddings, I actually had an indoor wedding and reception this year on April 30th ... and it was pretty hot. I know the weekend before the wedding (and pretty much on and off that week) it rained like crazy and I was kind of nervous about rain happening on the wedding day (just because we were planning to take pictures outside). We had perfect weather, but I was pretty sticky and uncomfortable just during the two hours of picture-taking before the ceremony ... and my relatives, who flew in from the midwest where I'm from, couldn't stand to be outside for more than 10 minutes at a time. They were definitely not used to it being that hot in April. So that might be something you consider if you have guests who are not from Texas.

4/30/2010, we took engagement pics outside (2 hours in the Botanic Gardens) and it was very hot that day too. If I recall correctly, the first two weekends in April were actually quite cool that year, so I was super bummed that it had gotten so hot by the time we took our e-pics.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Correction: I meant April 2011 was windy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding was April 23 of this year and we had the ceremony outside and the reception inside at the Tribute.

The weather held off (although it was very windy) and ended up pouring during our reception so if you do have an outdoor wedding you should probably really look into an indoor backup plan.  If the rain had started earlier we would have been married inside the ballroom, which was plan B.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!  Oooh, outdoor/no plan B ceremonies at any time of year in Texas terrify me, but girls have certainly done it.  It just depends on how much risk you are willing to take.  However, anytime in April seems so dicey to me--my birthday is 4/25 and it seems like it rains every year.  Good luck!
  • Options
    angelsong21angelsong21 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!!! We are planning our wedding for May 2012.  We are at a venue where we can do an outdoor or indoor ceremony followed by an indoor reception.  Our plan is to have an outdoor ceremony, but if next year is like this year, it will be incredibly hot so we'd move it indoors if that's the case.  ALWAYS have a plan B option available!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    MBS0310MBS0310 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  Congrats!  We are planning our wedding for April 7, 2012.  Our plan is to have an outdoor wedding, but our venue has a Plan B for inside if we need to use it.  We are getting married in gardens that are kinda down a hill and shady.  When we first visisted at the end of March, it was pretty warm and windy, and down where the ceremony takes place, it was calm and cool.  I would definitely have a Plan B if you want an outdoor wedding, b/c you never know with the weather!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1.) Who has had or is planning an outdoor wedding in April?  Ours is outdoors on April 28, 2012.  We will be having it at night though to avoid the heat of the day.

2.) Did you have a plan B and did you have to use it? Or what is your plan B?  We do have a plan B if the worst happens.  Our venue is an outdoor garden, indoor ballroom.   That being said, most (not all) storms in April pop up around 3-5pm and move out by 7pm as the air cools off for the day.  I am hoping our 8pm start time is late enough.

3.) What was the weather like? Temp, wind, precip? (This April 2010 was WINDY!)  When we were picking our date, I went and looked at the historical data for the months of April and May.  Generally, April was more rainy and had a bit more wind, but the temps were more mild.  May on the other hand was more straight humidity in the air without the relief of rain, hotter, and more dead in terms of wind.  On average most of the storms in April (for the last 5 yrs) have come in the middle 2 weeks or so of the month.

4.) Did any of you hold your ceremony/ reception inside an enclosed tent if it was raining? (my concern is humidity)  Mine won't use one, but I have been inside on during a wedding. While it's obviously a bit sticky, if you have high quality fans/Portable A/C units, it isn't that bad at all. You will sweat. but you won't melt.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your input thus far!

We are planning for an afternoon wedding for budget and clean up reasons. And our plan B, although I hope we won't have to use it, is a church that's about 15-20 miles away from plan A.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was married this year on April 8th.  We had an outdoor ceremony with an indoor reception.  I didnt find that it was too hot and there wasnt a rain drop in sight but it was EXTREMELY windy.  I would definitely plan on a back up for both ceremony and reception, we were okay with the wind for the short 15 min ceremony but you can tell in the pics and video how windy it was and there is no way we could have done an outdoor reception.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married on April 16 of this year.  Our wedding day was absolutely perfect!  But the day before, during our rehearsal, it was SUPER windy and there was no way we could've had the ceremony out there if it had still been that windy.  We did have a back-up plan and no matter what time of year, I would highly suggest you have a back-up plan just in case.  You just never know what could happen!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011

What do y'all think about this:

For the ceremony (assuming it doesn't rain) just deal with the wind for the 15 minutes, then for the reception, enclose the half of the tent where the wind (or rain) is blowing from? If it's raining during the ceremony, just have it under the tent?

If y'all have any input or warning or experience, please share it! I'm willing to do whatever it takes to keep it outside! (although, there will still be a plan B)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll be honest--I hate the idea of anything outdoors if it is raining, tent or no.  I picture it dripping, the noise, lightening, mud, if you have to go outside the tent for any reason (like to go to the bathroom).  It all sounds miserable. April storms can be vicious and it's just not worth taking the chance IMO.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_intro-outdoor-texas-april?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:01fa67a8-8fa5-48fc-bb2a-01836431ccc3Post:b6ce9b58-86a6-4f62-a81a-7a01bf0c027e">Re: Intro/ outdoor in Texas in April?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll be honest--I hate the idea of anything outdoors if it is raining, tent or no.  I picture it dripping, the noise, lightening, mud, if you have to go outside the tent for any reason (like to go to the bathroom).  It all sounds miserable. April storms can be vicious and it's just not worth taking the chance IMO.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

<div>This times a million.</div><div>
    </div><div>Especially if it is the least bit warm.  The humidity in that tent would be killer.</div>
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks, ladies!

I looked at weather patterns for April for my zip code and the precipitation was very minimal, so I'm feeling optimistic. If I do end up using a tent for any reason, it will be an open tent with no sides so we can get a breeze. There's already a small pavillion at the venue, so I'll have to judge if it will fit everybody under it for shade.

I really appreciate all of your input!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually have a similar situation. April 14th, 2012, inside ceremony, outside reception in the country. It'll be in my grandparent's backyard since they have a lot of space and I can do a lot of things design wise. I too though am worried about the chance of rain, because due to budget, there is no plan B. Opinions?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_intro-outdoor-texas-april?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:01fa67a8-8fa5-48fc-bb2a-01836431ccc3Post:f4d0c422-6ae8-4ab7-97b1-e740e90504a2">Re: Intro/ outdoor in Texas in April?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually have a similar situation. April 14th, 2012, inside ceremony, outside reception in the country. It'll be in my grandparent's backyard since they have a lot of space and I can do a lot of things design wise. I too though am worried about the chance of rain, because due to budget, there is no plan B. <strong>Opinions</strong>?
    Posted by kay1091[/QUOTE]

<div>Having an outdoor party with no option to move inside if the weather turns is a bad idea.</div>
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_intro-outdoor-texas-april?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:01fa67a8-8fa5-48fc-bb2a-01836431ccc3Post:f4d0c422-6ae8-4ab7-97b1-e740e90504a2">Re: Intro/ outdoor in Texas in April?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually have a similar situation. April 14th, 2012, inside ceremony, outside reception in the country. It'll be in my grandparent's backyard since they have a lot of space and I can do a lot of things design wise. I too though am worried about the chance of rain, because due to budget, there is no plan B. Opinions?
    Posted by kay1091[/QUOTE]

There is NO WAY I would have an outdoor wedding, at any time of year, with no Plan B.  IMO, that is a recipe for disaster.  That being said, it has been done--rcpm had her beautiful wedding at La Buena Vida which is 100% outdoors and everything was just fine.  However, that was in October--a month with much less rain historically than April.

It's just a question of whether you feel you can risk it.  I for one would be worried sick the entire time and thus, it just wouldn't be worth it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kay, Have you looked into local community centers? Or maybe a church fellowship hall? My plan B will be a church fellowship hall. I haven't looked into pricing, but surely neither of those would be too pricey if they cost at all. Especially if your ceremony is at that same church.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been thinking about doing that possibly. My church sadly doesn't have a fellowship hall big enough to hold everyone so I'd have to go somewhere else. But the tough part is the reception decor and overall feel heavily relies on it being outside. I'm trying not to stress too much but come on, we're all brides-to-be here, stress is mutual.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards