Snarky Brides

do you celebrate Sweetest Day?

We don't.  Every day H is with me is like a gift to him.  Lolzzz.It just seems so "manufactured" and it's always so close to my birthday, so we just don't bother.

Re: do you celebrate Sweetest Day?

• I got married on it!!  I had never heard of it.  People kept commenting on it and I was all "the whositwhatsit?"
  • I've never heard of this 'holiday'
  • I'd never even heard of it until Jules and Babbs were talking about it.  I couldn't even tell you what day it falls on.
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • I believe it is a midwest thing.
  • I think Ohio made it up.
  • Never heard of it either.
    DSC_0768
    Claire Elizabeth 12/31/2011
    Married Bio
  • Hallmark made it up!  It's stupid.  I have never celebrated it and I actually laughed one year when I got flowers on it because it's so D-bag worthy.  BTW - I'm in Ohio.  So maybe we did make it up.  LOL.
  • it's this Sat, Oct 17.  It's always the third Sat in Oct or something.  Basically, Hallmark wants you to send the very best.  Maybe a small gift item.  Hey, it's a slow month for them.  
  • Noisy - for lack of better terms it's a generic Valentine's Day.
  • I didn't think it was Hallmark but the candy industry--cause you know, you're supposed to give your "sweetest" something sweet.
  • i'd never heard of it until i went to college... in ohio (i grew up in indy, it's not like i'm real far away).  the only people that were like "omg, you've never heard of sweetest day?!?" were people from ohio... saying this to everyone else not from ohio.  so yeah, pretty sure ohio made it up.no, i don't celebrate it.  valentine's day has become silly enough. sweetest day is just dumb.
  • I've never heard of this 'holiday' before, but if it involves eating cake, then I'm game for celebrating.
    image Mabel the Loser.
  • I've never heard of this made up day, either
  • I will eat cake on Saturday. But I won't do it for Sweetest Day. I'll do it out of spite.

• I didn't realize it was so Midwesterny.  Maybe it WAS Fanny May and not Hallmark. 
  • Apparently it was candymakers in Cleveland and we're all supposed to be giving our males sweets. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetest_Day  
  • According to Wikipedia, it was created by Cleveland candy manufacturers 84 years ago.  So it was an Ohio created holiday that just never caught on.  But it was originally supposed to be "a day to spread love and cheer to the unfortunate".  So please, give the homeless some candy on Saturday.
  • interesting to read the history.  anytime I read about candy given to poor children makes me think of that one M*A*S*H episode where Frank tries to give the orphanage children a boatload of candy and the priest sells the candy for food and Frank's all mad about it until he learns the lesson that food will go a lot longer than candy and be more helpful in a starving orphan's life. 
  • okay, will you guys be surprised that not only does Car's mom celebrate, but she expects GIFTS?  This year she is getting a Wii.  She emailed me this morning about it.  Sometimes I think she takes "keeping up with the Burgers" a little too far (I got my Wii two weeks ago).
  • I want to do a study on Car's mom.
  • I'd never heard of it until I saw the cards in Target this weekend.  So, we don't.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
  • I'm so glad you're continuing the friendship, Tasty.  Is it just me, or is a Wii a pretty big gift for Valentines Day II: The Quest For More Stuff?  I wouldn't expect anything that spendy for such a minor holiday.
  • Mike proposed on Sweetest Day, unbeknownst to him.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • It always reminds me of the episode of the Simpson's with love day and Marge gets homer the Sir Hugs a Lot bear but he wanted the Lord Huggington bear and she says "It's the same basic bear". My H and I say that alot. On sweetheart's day...
  • Never heard of it, but tomorrow is our anniversary so I guess that can be our sweetest day. 
  • You know me, any excuse to give a gift and be romantic!!!!  HUGZ!
    "As of page 2 this might be the most boring argument ever. It's making me long for Rape Day." - Mouse
  • That is the dumbest thing i've heard of but at the same time I hate valentines day! Never had a reason to hate it! Just think it's a pointless holiday. THey should be that sweet everyday!
  • anytime I read about candy given to poor children makes me think of that one M*A*S*H episode where Frank tries to give the orphanage children a boatload of candy and the priest sells the candy for food and Frank's all mad about it until he learns the lesson that food will go a lot longer than candy and be more helpful in a starving orphan's life.Tasty, I love M*A*S*H.  That episode was with Charles, though, not Frank.  Frank was too cheap to even give candy to a baby.
  • Sweetest Day is dumb.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards