Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Professional photography - totally worth it?

Hi all.

I came to town this weekend to tour venues and fell in love with one, and we went ahead and put a deposit on it - Village Country Club! Yay, that's good to have done. :)

Now I'm looking into everything else...

I'm trying to get over the sticker shock of the price of all things wedding-related. I know there's a LOT of work and time that goes into being a professional wedding photographer... but I was just quoted $1500 for somebody relatively new to the business, and that's a lot of money to me, so I'm trying to get comfortable with the fact that this is going to be expensive if I want it done right.

Our staff photographer at work, who photographs weddings on the side, said "This is the only part of the wedding you get to keep with you after the wedding." And another coworker said "I paid a budget price for a budget photographer and the photos are so bad I don't even want to look at them now."

I do want nice photos... but that's a hefty chunk of change. I imagine an experienced pro would be even more, though.

So, to all you ladies who got awesome professional photography done - you're happy with it? It's awesome and yay?

Re: Professional photography - totally worth it?

• LoverBean27LoverBean27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For me, that's really cheap. My photographer cost 5,600 but includes a leather bound album.

My wedding has not come around yet, but I definitely say it's worth it. I've heard from so many friends that they only remember their day from the photos because it flies by. I wouldn't recommend skipping in this area.
    image 279 Invited!
    image 137 Are ready to celebrate!
    image 93 Cannot make it!
    image 40 Have not responded! aka: officially uninvited! ;)
    RSVP date 2/17

March 2012 Brides

**SIGGY (March 2012 board) January CHALLENGE

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You don't marry the person you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without"-Anonymous

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am someone who splurged on photography and I don't regret it for one second. 

However, I have seen some great photographers in that range.  $1500 is what most of us would consider the lower end, but we can recommend people that are very good in that price point, or at least close to it. 

It's with anything else--you get what you pay for.  And it's not going to end with photography, I'm sorry to say.  But good photography is money well spent.
  • crash2729crash2729 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've only had my e-pics but already it's so worth the money!
    I'm using Mcgowan Images and you can do their lowest package for $2,000.
  • edited December 2011
    I used Karen Scruggs for my photographer and she was awesome!  I loved my photo!  And she offers a package without an album for $1000.

Anniversary

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_professional-photography-totally-worth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:081eabbd-5dc7-4250-bbb4-c7394aa9b9ddPost:f516bee1-99fd-4be7-90f9-ca4a2ba030aa">Re: Professional photography - totally worth it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've only had my e-pics but already it's so worth the money! I'm using Mcgowan Images and you can do their lowest package for $2,000.
    Posted by crash2729[/QUOTE]

I wasn't sure on their pricing but $2K for McGowan Images is probably the best deal going.
  • winechic25winechic25 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like stephiehall, I am also someone who splurged on photography, and fell it's worth every penny you pay!! I just got married almost 4 weeks ago now, and am dying to see my pics! Like pp have mentioned, the day goes by so fast, and so much is going on, I'm excited to get to relive it through my photos!
  • btweety04btweety04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it is totally worth it. Congrats on finding the venue too. I was married at VCC in September. You'll love working with Chante, she is awesome.
  • aeliza06aeliza06 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As Stephiehall said, I say 1500$ is on the low end- I would get a good look at their portfolio before I would decide. 

We are paying $1500 total for engagements, bridals, and wedding day coverage with two photographers.  She doesn't set a limit on the number of photos that she retouches and doesn't charge for prints. That way I can go and get any of the prints I want without paying ridiculous prices for them. She is new to wedding photography but I liked her portfolio a lot and I was able to see her distinct style through her portfolio- exactly what I was looking for.

Regardless, any photographer should be able to take direction and understand the style you want. If you have ideas- show them to your photographer and make sure they understand what you are looking for. I think this is the biggest thing. There were so many shots from other photographers that I adored and our photographer was actually able to recreate! 

• edited December 2011
    I had the same dilemma when it came to the sticker shock, but I fell in love with my photographer's work and just could NOT compromise. (If you're looking for more suggestions, my photog, Stacie Tatum Photography, has a package for 2k, although I like all the photographers that've been suggested so far.)

For me, what cinched it was going to the photographer's websites and looking at what they had done. Once I saw a wedding on Stacie's blog, I could really picture what our wedding would look like (and what we'd have to take away from it, besides being married). Before that, it was just another thing on my wedding checklist, another item line on the budget.
  • elidellioelidellio member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I completely agree with everything said above. I really struggled with this, also, and fianally decided to cut money elsewhere and get a great photographer. I'm using SixFourteen and he has been amazing. We've only done our engagements but I already feel like it's completely worth it.

You're spending a lot of money on a venue, a dress, decorations, etc. etc. etc. so it just follows that you'll want quality photos to show off and remember all the details by.
    March 2012 Knotties Siggy Challenge - Favorite Engagement Picture Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • angelsong21angelsong21 member
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it is absolutely worth the money.  I went with a budget photographer and it blew up in our face.  You get what you pay for, both in terms of the final product and professionalism.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • prlmrg08prlmrg08 member
    edited December 2011
    ok so a friend of mine, Leslie Spurlock who is as far from a budget photographer is running an 11/11 special: look her up on facebook.If you have sticker shock look into her... I cant believe she is running this deal!!!!!

For one day only, on 11/11/11, you can book my 1 shooter package (6 hrs, 500 max images, dvd of high res images, a la carte items are full price if added on) for $1111. Sale starts at 11am and ends at 11pm. Normal price is $1800.
  • Jen6862Jen6862 member
    edited December 2011
    Mine was $1,200, but it took a lot of work to find somebody I really trusted at that range. If I could have splurged I would have because there are some people who do work that is like art. All said though our photographer was amazing and luckily it did not blow up in our face. =)
  • ejheartejheart member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_professional-photography-totally-worth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:081eabbd-5dc7-4250-bbb4-c7394aa9b9ddPost:b4d8a904-f6b7-40db-968e-68959b1c124c">Re: Professional photography - totally worth it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As Stephiehall said, I say 1500$ is on the low end- I would get a good look at their portfolio before I would decide.  We are paying $1500 total for engagements, bridals, and wedding day coverage with two photographers.  She doesn't set a limit on the number of photos that she retouches and doesn't charge for prints. That way I can go and get any of the prints I want without paying ridiculous prices for them. She is new to wedding photography but I liked her portfolio a lot and I was able to see her distinct style through her portfolio- exactly what I was looking for. Regardless, any photographer should be able to take direction and understand the style you want. If you have ideas- show them to your photographer and make sure they understand what you are looking for. I think this is the biggest thing. There were so many shots from other photographers that I adored and our photographer was actually able to recreate! 
    Posted by aeliza06[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div><span style="font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;" class="Apple-style-span">Aeliza06, who did you use if you don't mind me asking?</span>

</div>
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Dude...that is an awesome deal for Leslie Spurlock!
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • edited December 2011
    YES!!

I have had so many people rave about how good my pictures are. They are definitely worth every penny.
  • edited December 2011
    The price I got quoted was from someone who's still relatively new, but she's assisted our staff photographer (somebody I trust!) and she showed me her not-yet-live portfolio and I do like it. :) The $1500 includes the fact that she'd be coming to Dallas from Austin, but she also would just give me a CD with the photos on it instead of a print book.

So, what is the benefit of having an album vs. getting the photos printed yourself? Is it way more convenient, waaaay nicer than you could have done yourself, or what?

She also says it includes an engagement/bridal shoot, although since I explained to her that we're basically having a vow renewal/reception next year, I'm not sure what I would do with that bonus!

Also, I know I am always thanking you guys, but that is because you're tremendously helpful. I'm looking through these photographers you've recommended at my price point - awesome! Awesome awesome. I like having options so I can find somebody whose style I like, as you recommended.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_professional-photography-totally-worth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:081eabbd-5dc7-4250-bbb4-c7394aa9b9ddPost:ccb22806-c225-4ad8-a506-7a0fa712038a">Re: Professional photography - totally worth it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, what is the benefit of having an album vs. getting the photos printed yourself? Is it way more convenient, waaaay nicer than you could have done yourself, or what? Posted by selie22[/QUOTE]

Having a CD with print rights to your images is important.  You are then free to print as many as you want for yourself, friends, and family, etc. rather than having to buy them.  You can also use the images to make an album yourself--I made a beautiful album for my DH's parents and I have a review in my bio.

You do, however, want to make sure you are getting high resolution images so I would definitely confirm that--usually those are contained on a DVD rather than a CD.
  • aeliza06aeliza06 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_professional-photography-totally-worth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:081eabbd-5dc7-4250-bbb4-c7394aa9b9ddPost:fc38f9ce-e9aa-4dde-958d-4634c5834271">Re: Professional photography - totally worth it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Professional photography - totally worth it? : Aeliza06, who did you use if you don't mind me asking?
    Posted by ejheart[/QUOTE]
    I am using Lindsay Jones from MediaLins. She is just starting her own business but works for other businesses quite often and was able to show me work that she has done.
  • edited December 2011

My main chunk of my budget is going to photography because that's what matters the most to me. I am going with Stephanie Brazzle. Her photographs literally made me cry! She has such a wide array of packages it's easy to find something you like.

I feel like you won't remember what color runners you had on your tables or what color shoes you wore but GOOD pictures will help you remember and relive that wonderful moment over and over again.

• Jen6862Jen6862 member
    edited December 2011
    If you have the CD of high-res images you can put together an album yourself through an online service like Picaboo. That's what I'm doing.

Also, if you are working with an assistant to another photographer or who is part of somebody's studio then you should get good work. Generally these are people who are being mentored by somebody that interviewed them and their portfolios and in some cases have worked with said photographer for years trying to develop their style.

My sister-in-law used an assisant to Liz Linder Studios in Boston. Liz's weddings cost $5,000 and up. The assistant was still $3,500, but the work was just as good because it was still going out under the studio name.
  • jessjones1989jessjones1989 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's very important not to skimp on photography as everyone else has said.  The stories of nightmares are all over the boards here.  Cut something else just slightly, or get "photo gift certs" to help pay for it.  They work sorta like the "honeymoon" gifts people give.  My photog did them for our wedding.  She mades nice little cards and everything.

Check her and her hubby out. They are Grace Ormonde Wedding Style Platinum List photographers.  www.imaginephotoaz.com
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, I'm going to make myself sit on this to make sure I've thought it over. But I've looked at a lot of the links you suggested and while I really really like Karen's photos stylistically, I really think I might go with the first photographer I queried. Her style is very fresh and natural, and I think that fits what I want more than something more "polished" looking. I love it, and even my "not interested in wedding stuff" husband has an opinion for once and likes her best. :)

Thank you guys for helping me feel better about the cost and for explaining the process. Do you recommend talking to a photographer in person so you can get a feel for what they'd be like to work with before settling on anything? If so, are there any questions you recommend asking? (Other than the aforementioned CD vs. DVD)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_professional-photography-totally-worth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:081eabbd-5dc7-4250-bbb4-c7394aa9b9ddPost:02ec78a7-dd79-4f61-b875-b003cc0cdcd7">Re: Professional photography - totally worth it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, I'm going to make myself sit on this to make sure I've thought it over. But I've looked at a lot of the links you suggested and while I really really like Karen's photos stylistically, I really think I might go with the first photographer I queried. Her style is very fresh and natural, and I think that fits what I want more than something more "polished" looking. I love it, and even my "not interested in wedding stuff" husband has an opinion for once and likes her best. :) Thank you guys for helping me feel better about the cost and for explaining the process. Do you recommend talking to a photographer in person so you can get a feel for what they'd be like to work with before settling on anything? If so, are there any questions you recommend asking? (Other than the aforementioned CD vs. DVD)
    Posted by selie22[/QUOTE]

Most people on the board do recommend meeting with them in person to make sure you mesh well, get along, etc.  They also recommend seeing an entire wedding shoot -- all the pictures -- so you can verify they're not just putting the 2 good images from a wedding on their website, and the rest are all awful!

FWIW, I just found mine online, found some good reviews on Weddingwire, and went with my gut. We did have an engagement shoot before the wedding, basically so I could make sure she'd show up and produce the same quality of pictures for us that I'd seen on her website -- so that was my kind of trial run/face-to-face meeting.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_professional-photography-totally-worth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:081eabbd-5dc7-4250-bbb4-c7394aa9b9ddPost:02ec78a7-dd79-4f61-b875-b003cc0cdcd7">Re: Professional photography - totally worth it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Do you recommend talking to a photographer in person </strong>so you can get a feel for what they'd be like to work with before settling on anything? If so, are there any questions you recommend asking? (Other than the aforementioned CD vs. DVD)
    Posted by selie22[/QUOTE]

Yes.  You will spend alot of time with this person on the wedding day and you want to make sure that you "click."  I also absolutely agree that you should see an entire wedding from beginning to end from her portfolio so you will see how she will capture the entire day.
  • molliemguerramolliemguerra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay! We are getting married in the Village Country Club in March! Love it :)

But, PLEASE check Cory O'neal photography. http://coryoneal.com/

He is my photographer and he is amazing, and he is such a great guy! Very budget friendly especially for the quality of photos. I got him right before his prices went up, $800 for two shooters unlimited time. I think he might have gone up to $1000, but not completely sure. Whatever it's worth, please just check him out, he's great!
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't get too hung up on whether or not the images are on a CD vs DVD...DVDs are just more common for weddings because they hold more images. Just make sure they are hi-res and that you understand the reprint agreement completely. There may be restrictions on what you can use the photos for--many photographers will ask that you get permission from them before using the photos for something like a contest or submitting them to a wedding blog. Some may ask that you do not edit or crop the images. I don't think there is anything unreasonable about these requests...just make sure you know what you are agreeing to beforehand :)

Oh...and one last thing! Make sure you are signing a contract no matter what...even if you are using a beginner. A contract protects both you and the photographer, and frankly bad things happen with wedding images too often to forgo one, even if he/she seems super nice!
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • Jen6862Jen6862 member
    edited December 2011
    Most photographers want to meet you and get to know you, so I highly recommend this. The first time I met my photographer was at our engagement shoot, because I knew if the pictures did not turn out or we really didn't mesh there would be time to find somebody else.

BTW, you can display your engagement shots (or bridals) at the reception/vow renewal. I used our engagement shots in a photo guest book that I made online and people loved it. I also framed some pictures for the sign-in table.
  • elisarrrelisarrr member
    edited December 2011
    I'm an amateur photographer (have taken over 7 photography classes) so the wedding photographer was extremely important to me. I would rather have cut everything else than photos.
    I'm paying over $3K for F8 studios but I know it'll be worth every penny. Also really like Celina Gomez but I decided to go with F8 due to more experience (even if they were more $). Celina is awesome and really talented tho!
    http://www.celinagomez.com

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards