Snarky Brides
Options

Does anyone watch Animal Planet?

And is anyone around?

I'm slightly obsessed with Pit Boss, Last Chance Highway, and Whale Wars.
I really hate Pitbulls and Parolees. I think that woman is both mean and irresponsible.

Thoughts? Anyone else want to talk to me this fine Saturday?

Re: Does anyone watch Animal Planet?

• Options
    I used to but I don't anymore. How are you? I am still sick with the flu. I really don't want to do research. Yay for grad school crap  :(
  • Options
    Hi Ricks. The flu sucks. I've got a cold as well. I tried to kill it with alcohol last night. Now I'm just hungover with a cold.

What are you researching?
  • Options
    I have to research COPD and nutrition. It has to be something specific to nutrition b/c my teacher wants me to narrow my topic. I also need to find five articles on elementary children and nutrition education. Bleh!

It sucks being sick, no?
  • Options
    FYI Theraflu cinnamon apple, not too bad.
  • Options
    It especially sucks because we only have a few weeks of nice weather left.

Do you need peer reviewed articles? I can dig around a bit.
  • Options
    I can't watch Whale Wars. Those people piss me off and I think they do more harm than good, kind od like PETA.

Sorry you're sick, ricks. That's no fun. I have a sore throat today and am hoping it doesn't turn into something worse.
  • Options
    ricksangricksang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2010
    Yeah they have to be peer reviewed. You don't have to do that. It's not a big deal. At least I don't have to study for a huge test or something.

It's fallish out right now and it the perfect day for an outside run, bummer.

When do you start grad school?
  • Options
    Do you do any natural medicine Seshat? Sambucus works wonders for preventing colds when you start to feel sick.
  • Options
    I used to watch Animal Cops, but I can't anymore because it makes me too sad. 

Ricks, the flu sucks, as does COPD, or so I have heard. I imagine there are some diets that can help COPD, like those that limit milk (milk tends to thicken mucus) or foods that can cause inflammation (tomatoes, eggplant, etc). It should be interesting. 

I was watching an episode of Swamp Men today, and it was pretty darn cool. I think I'll have to add it to my TiVo list.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Well I finish undergrad this spring, so I really need to start looking at grad schools. And yet, I haven't found that ambition yet. H and I have to live here for at least another year while he finishes undergrad.

I work at the University library, so I have access to a shitton of journals.  Just putting in "children" and "nutrition" I found 409 peer reviewed, full texts articles. Let me know if you want me to send you any.
  • Options
    I don't have a TV, so I only speak Dexter. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I don't, Jas, but I'm not opposed to it. I typically fight through a cold sans-medicine. The only time I use any is when it's asthma related, since I have to go on steroids for my lungs.

I do use melatonin supplements to help me sleep. I'll have to check into Sambucus, never eve heard of it.
  • Options
    I only use "real" medicine for my asthma too. I take a lot of herbal supplements, because at the very least they won't make me feel funny.

Reddy- I've never seen Dexter, or any of those Showtime/HBO shows. Is that the one about a serial killer?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-watch-animal-planet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b25dc43-0d4d-4b4b-8751-63faa5bd03e1Post:c7606262-2fce-4709-8879-8354211378e6">Re: Does anyone watch Animal Planet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I used to watch Animal Cops, but I can't anymore because it makes me too sad.  Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

Me too. That show makes me both sad and angry.  can't stand seeing all those animals abused.

Have you seen that new show about the husband and wife in the wild? Man, Woman, Wild, or something like that? H and I meant to check it out but forgot about it, but I'm still curious as to how good it is.
  • Options
    I haven't seen that one yet, Sesh. It sounds interesting, though. I'll have to check it out. 

I hate taking meds as well. Naturopathy is so much better for most things, except acute asthma of course. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thanks Jas!

Sarah the milk one is a good idea.

Grad school isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Getting in was a chore!
  • Options
    I need to get better about herbal supplements and vitamins. I buy them, then forget about them. My mom puts the Flintstones vitamins in my Christmas stocking every year, and I admit, they're still pretty tasty. I'm supposed to be taking iron supplements, but I'm bad about it.
  • Options

I usually don't take OTC meds for a cold or flu because they supress your body's natural defenses but I needed something to knock me out. I could not breath.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-watch-animal-planet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b25dc43-0d4d-4b4b-8751-63faa5bd03e1Post:c3dc6714-5782-493f-bed8-d782033c37d2">Re: Does anyone watch Animal Planet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I only use "real" medicine for my asthma too. I take a lot of herbal supplements, because at the very least they won't make me feel funny. Reddy- <strong>I've never seen Dexter, or any of those Showtime/HBO shows. Is that the one about a serial killer?</strong>
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

<div>omg, I just died a little inside reading this. Yes, it's the one about the serial killer and you must watch it ASAP. Rent it, or read the book, Darkly Dreaming Dexter. I'm not the "serial killer' show type (I don't like CSI or any of that) but I love Dexter and the theme of moral and psychological lines being blurred. </div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Dexter is the shizniz. Can't wait for season 5.
  • Options
    Seshat- I take Centrum chewables, which are a gigantic adult version of Flinstones. 
    Photobucket
  • Options

I think I'll read the book because alliterative titles are my favorite.

Dayquil and things like that make me feel totally drunk.

• Options
    Me too Jas. Since I am not drinking on this diet, yay to cough meds :P j/k
  • Options
    Perfect way around it Ricks!
  • Options
    I love Animal Planet. I have to disagree with you Sesh on Whale Wars. I love that show. I feel like they are the only ones actually doing anything about that situation down there. This campaign saved over 1000 whales. I just wish they would take on the dolphin garbage that is happening too. But i am an aggressive confrontational person so that may be why i like them :)
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I go through my AP phases about once a month. Then the last one I saw was about a kid in Miami who was killing and mutilating people's cats in two Miami area neighborhoods. I kept crying and squeezing Demon because it was really graphic and they were interviewing the owners. When they caught the kid he said he was just bored. Wtf?

I don't know, I group the Whale Wars people with PETA too. Yes they are doing something about it, but I also think the methods they use get a lot of eye rolls and don't help the "Crazy animal people" stereotype that is out there. I also hate PETA with a passion though, so I am biased.
  • Options
    To be honest, the Australian guy is hot. It is 2010 and he is a pirate. That's just a bodice-ripper waiting to happen.
  • Options
    I see your point Blue, and I agree that they do actually save whales and that aspect is great. But their methods and attitudes also turn off a lot of people, which in turn means they don't get a lot of support. Like PETA. I like what they stand for, but their methods are so extreme that people don't want to support them.

I remember in the first season 2 guys went on board the Japanese ship and got themselves basically held hostage. So suddenly, instead of it being all about saving the whales, it was about saving 2 guys who were stupid enough to board an enemy ship. To me, that completely shifted the focus off the whales and made it all about them. I'm sure to them, it brought the whale plight to center attention, but to me it seemed selfish. But I hate the main guy, so like katie, I'm bias.
  • Options

The only one that I've seen do some questionable stuff is the Australian  guy. Other than that, I think it's fairly harmless. I only started watching this season though, so I don't know what they've done in the past.

I keep seeing ads for The Cove, but I don't think I can stomach it.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-watch-animal-planet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1b25dc43-0d4d-4b4b-8751-63faa5bd03e1Post:9bb80e2e-e8b3-40f7-9ef1-fc2c72f8509a">Re: Does anyone watch Animal Planet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I see your point Blue, and I agree that they do actually save whales and that aspect is great. But their methods and attitudes also turn off a lot of people, which in turn means they don't get a lot of support. Like PETA. I like what they stand for, but their methods are so extreme that people don't want to support them. I remember in the first season 2 guys went on board the Japanese ship and got themselves basically held hostage. So suddenly, instead of it being all about saving the whales, it was about saving 2 guys who were stupid enough to board an enemy ship. To me, that completely shifted the focus off the whales and made it all about them. I'm sure to them, it brought the whale plight to center attention, but to me it seemed selfish. But I hate the main guy, so like katie, I'm bias.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

I totally see your point but i just look at it different. I think of it like the first seasons boarding forced that harpoon ship to go back to port which in turn stopped them from whaling. The second boarding that guy had every right. His ship was dead in the water and the japanese ship rammed it. I would have done the same thing.

But like i said, im aggressive and a little nuts like that.

All things being said, that area is a whale sanctuary and the japanese are breaking the law. Im glad at least.someone cares enough to try and stop it. Their methods don't bother me. Well at least not yet.

I did hear that the Australian government is starting to take some action about it. That makes me happy. Maybe they will put a.stop to it and Sea Shepherd wont have to go back.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards