Snarky Brides
Options

WebMD!!!

So, I have an awesome red bumpy rash on my neck and chest and went to the doctor yesterday morning (the rash started appearing on Christmas).  He gave me some antibacterial goo to put on it and I haven't seen any improvement in the past 24 hours.  It still looks the same, still itches and still hurts.   

I'm pretty sure I have shingles. 

My question is... How long would you wait to see improvement before going back to the doctor?  Would you go back to the same person?
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: WebMD!!!

• Options
    Did you see a regular doc or a dermatologist?
  • Options
    I'd wait a week.  And yes, I'd go to the same person. 

I get weird rashes all the time, so far they're not shingles. 
  • Options
    WebMD is the devil. Every time I go to that site, I end up with the plague.

Or smelly balls.
  • Options
    I saw a regular doctor. 

I suspect shingles because it is on one side of my body and pregnancy is a common time for the shingles to make an appearance... and they look like what my sister's shingles looked like. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_webmd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1cd5c5ab-0f87-4910-9bdb-76cee0fafb82Post:f58484d8-f547-4fc6-81a7-a33ffd681c90">Re: WebMD!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]WebMD is the devil. Every time I go to that site, I end up with the plague. Or smelly balls.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

Haha.  I didn't go to the site... mainly for that reason.  I'm sure it would give me far too many horrible options. 
    I just know that most people on here hate medical quetsions, specifically about birthcontrol and they just tell people to go to the doctor.  I did that, and I want to know when I should go back. 
  • Options
    If you're not comfortable with this doc's diagnosis, then go see a derm.  Only you know what he said, what this seems like, etc.  But if it were me, I'd give it longer than 24 hours.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is the rash located on one side of your body (left or right)? If it is, I would go back. 
    ETA: Sorry, I am slow. Yes I would go back to the doctor, and make an appointment with a dermatologist. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_webmd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1cd5c5ab-0f87-4910-9bdb-76cee0fafb82Post:64e50497-f9f2-4875-b6a6-923a368e2285">Re: WebMD!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you're not comfortable with this doc's diagnosis, then go see a derm.  Only you know what he said, what this seems like, etc.  But if it were me,<strong> I'd give it longer than 24 hours.  </strong>
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

I normally would give it 2-3 days, but the 3 day weekend will drag that out to 5 days. 
    I suppose I'll wait it out and if it gets way worse or unbearable I can always go to urgent care. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_webmd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1cd5c5ab-0f87-4910-9bdb-76cee0fafb82Post:b95ff7cc-adf1-4c91-aaed-15289927b80f">Re: WebMD!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WebMD!!! : I normally would give it 2-3 days, but the 3 day weekend will drag that out to 5 days.  I suppose I'll wait it out and if it gets way worse or unbearable I can always go to urgent care. 
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

The fact that you are pregnant has me taking the cautious side. I would go back to the doctor, or see if he can recommend a dermotologist.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yikes. Sounds rotten. :(

Could be PUPPPS though - you're at the right stage of your pregnancy for it, and it's often confused for shingles. Hope you're feeling better soon!
  • Options
    I'd definitely go to a dermatologist!
    panther
  • Options
    I was thinking PUPPS too. You can ask your OB.

And congrats, September's Bride!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sept - Congratulations!  How are you feeling? 
  • Options
    I would call the doctor and just let they know that so far there is no improvement.  If they think you should see some results by now, they will call you back in.
  • Options
    Thanks, Wis! I'm feeling okay (today, anyhow) but am starting to fight the queasies and the sleepies. :) I'm waiting very patiently for the feeling of being blissfully pregnant.
  • Options
    I hate webmd because no matter what's wrong with me, it tells me I have cervical cancer. Like, "pain in your finger? could be cervical cancer"

I'd call either the doctor or the pharmacist and ask how long you should wait to see results.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_webmd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1cd5c5ab-0f87-4910-9bdb-76cee0fafb82Post:611764a2-9baa-491a-9b73-b5108c3194bd">Re: WebMD!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I saw a regular doctor.  I suspect shingles because it is on one side of my body and pregnancy is a common time for the shingles to make an appearance... and they look like what my sister's shingles looked like. 
    Posted by Wiscisbliss[/QUOTE]

I'd go to a dermatologist and tell them this.  And I'd go soon - I can't imagine shingles is good for you.  (I also go to the doctor like once every three months for some ailment or other, so I'm a little more pro-doctor-visits than most.)
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I am going to get a 2nd opinion today.  Someone is able to see me at the end of the work day so I won't have to miss any work. 

Normally I'm not a total germ/health freak, but being pregnant has me being more cautious.
  • Options
    I love WebMD and yes every time I read about some symptom I have I end up diagnosing myself with cancer or some rare disease that occurs in 1 in a billion people. I would wait more than 24 hours. I had this crazy looking rash on one of my fingers, it took two weeks to finally go away. My fiance is a doctor so I go to him with all of my ailments, he tells me how to correct it, I don't listen and go see my own doctor who then tells me the same thing he has told me. If your insurance will let you go straight to a Dermatologist then I guess you could do that but I would wait more than 24 hours. I hope you don't have shingles, I have heard they are SOOOOOO painful.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_webmd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1cd5c5ab-0f87-4910-9bdb-76cee0fafb82Post:7e9cd318-dec4-4146-a0e5-f0d4aa7782d3">Re: WebMD!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, Wis! I'm feeling okay (today, anyhow) but am starting to fight the queasies and the sleepies. :) <strong>I'm waiting very patiently for the feeling of being blissfully pregnant.
    </strong>Posted by september's bride[/QUOTE]

Ahaha.  Ahahahaha.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_webmd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1cd5c5ab-0f87-4910-9bdb-76cee0fafb82Post:4224ffe8-15b2-4c9b-97b1-79661bc1c402">Re: WebMD!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love WebMD and yes every time I read about some symptom I have I end up diagnosing myself with cancer or some rare disease that occurs in 1 in a billion people. I would wait more than 24 hours. I had this crazy looking rash on one of my fingers, it took two weeks to finally go away. My fiance is a doctor so I go to him with all of my ailments, he tells me how to correct it, I don't listen and go see my own doctor who then tells me the same thing he has told me. If your insurance will let you go straight to a Dermatologist then I guess you could do that but I would wait more than 24 hours. I hope you don't have shingles, I have heard they are SOOOOOO painful.
    Posted by teralicious[/QUOTE]

So being married to a doctor doesn't mean you can stop with co-pays and doctor's visits?  Welp, there goes my fantasy of marrying a doctor.  lol

Seriously, Webmd diagnoses me with lupus or cancer everytime I visit it.  It's only been right one time, and that's when I had the flu.

OP, I hope your rash gets better soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards