Snarky Brides
Options

Am I a bad friend? LONG

CN: I was looking forward to spending some grown up hang out time with my BFF this weekend, but now she wants to change plans so her 12 year old daughter can be there because she wants to see me too (I just saw daughter 3 weeks ago). I love her daughter, but I was looking forward to some alone time with BFF, so I lied and told her I couldn't do the day with her daughter.

Long version: Let me start by saying I love my BFF (let's call her Jen) and her daughter (Mary). Jen was my MOH, threw my bridal shower and is throwing me a baby shower. I love Mary too like she is family. She did a reading in my wedding and is an awesome kid, and mature for her age. Jen is divorced and her and ex share custody, and Jen has Mary Saturdays and Sundays. She lives where my family's vacation house is about an hour and a half away, so they will come up once or twice for a weekend during the winter, and I see them a lot during the summer. Since we are usually there weekends, Mary is usually there when we see each other.

Jen messaged me and asked if we were coming down this weekend, and that she was free Friday night, and would have Mary Sat-Sun. I messaged back and said we would be there, and asked if she wanted to meet for dinner Friday night. I was looking forward to some adult fun with Jen, because obviously we are somewhat limited when she has Mary.

She replied back and asked if we could do Satuday instead, eating  takeout from a nearby place, and then playing games at my place because "Mary wants to see me". First of all, the house has to be worked n before it is livable for the summer (patio furniture has to be moved out, major, major cleanup, etc.) To do this, H & I would have to spend all night Friday getting it ready for Saturday. Never mind that the lawn has a foot of weeds to be addressed. As for games, we were not planning to bring down the flatscreen and Wii for the weekend (which we have done before for vacations). Second, and this is selfish,  I wanted to see her, not Mary. I love Mary, but she is a 12 year old girl, with all that goes with it (short attention span ("I'm borrreeddd!"), some whining and moping if things don't go her way, etc.). I wanted to just hang without having to censor my conversation and plan around a kid being there, KWIM?

So I said Saturday night wouldn't work because H & I have dinner reservations (not really true). She asks about Saturday day, and I told her we had to work on the house (which is true). So now she is kind of pissed at me. I feel bad, but a little annoyed and aggravated. As a side note, she is throwing my shower later than I would have preferred (36 weeks) so Mary can be there (she be with Dad the two previos weekends). It leaves us very little time for getting everything ready, but I was so grateful that she was doing this for me I didn't say anything.

So am I an ungrateful beyotch? Should I suck it up and go nuts Friday night getting the house ready so we can hang out Saturday and put up with Mary? Thanks for anyone that read this whole thing, and if I am being a beyotch, flame away.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Am I a bad friend? LONG

• Options
    There is nothing at all wrong with wanting grown up time.  Soon enough, grown up time isn't going to be easy to come by.  You should enjoy your friend now.  I don't think you sound ungrateful at all.
  • Options
    I'd just say "Hey I'm really sorry that Mary won't get to see me but we have to make this a working weekend.  We are not bringing the TV up and need all the daylight hours we can get to work on the house and yard.  I'd still love to see you Friday night as we originally planned if you can make that work?.  Tell Mary she'll see me next time"

• Options
    I don't see a problem with it. You had originally agreed to an adults-only Friday night dinner, now she wants to change the plans. I say stick to the original Friday dinner, if she's still willing. I don't get why she's mad at you though for being busy. That doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    I don't think you're being a bad friend at all. I think your friend needs to realize that the world does not revolve around her daughter's schedule.
    imageimage
  • Options
    haha, IDK if your a B or not, but I know that I'd be annoyed with Jen for moving Fri plans to Sat. 

Can you ask her if y'all can have a grown up night on Fri and meet for pizza w/mary and your FI on Sat?  I'm sure y'all will need to eat lunch at some point anyway.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree with Anna. I know my best friend is the kind of girl who brings her boyfriend everywhere, so I occasionally had to be like "Hey, can we just do a girl's night?" to get to hang out with her. It's not that I didn't like the guy or anything. I know how you feel.
  • Options
    marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_am-bad-friend-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1f86faf5-452f-4681-ab77-62951ac5cbfaPost:1765f16f-2980-487a-aaaa-03b539291f6c">Re: Am I a bad friend? LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think you're being a bad friend at all. I think your friend needs to realize that the world does not revolve around her daughter's schedule.
    Posted by JenGin74[/QUOTE]
    I agree with this, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with adult time. You aren't going to have a whole lot of that soon, so I understand why you want it now and your friend is being a butthole.
  • Options
    I don't get why she would set dinner plans for Friday, try to change it to Saturday which doesn't work for you and then get pissed at you.  I think you have every right to be annoyed, and honestly even if it would make me ungrateful, I would be annoyed about the late shower thing too (assuming she knows it's later than you would have liked).
  • Options
    allisong23allisong23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Thank you guys, I was feeling very guilty. This sort of thing pops up from time to time, and it annoys me a little. Last summer we all had brunch plans on a Sunday morning (with Mary). H & I get up, get dressed and ready to go. Last minute she texts and cancels because "Mary doesn't want to go". Tough shiit, she is a child. Tell her she is going. Like I said, she is usually an awesome kid, but my adult play time is running thin. :)
  • Options
    My parents had a vacation house when I was a kid (my dad lives there full time now) so I know all about the work that goes into opening it up for the summer. Like, my parents would go up there by themselves and leave us kids with grandma at some point in April because the utilities wouldn't even be on yet. So no, I don't blame you AT ALL. A nice dinner with a friend is entirely different than getting your entire vacation house ready to entertain 2 people for an entire afternoon. Especially in your third tri.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_am-bad-friend-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1f86faf5-452f-4681-ab77-62951ac5cbfaPost:2bb82c5d-98d5-4661-96f9-bdddc4d6806b">Re: Am I a bad friend? LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thnak you guys, I was feeling very guilty. This sort of thing pops up from time to time, and it annoys me a little. Last summer we all had brunch plans on a Sunday morning (with Mary). H & I get up, get dressed and ready to go. Last minute she texts and<strong> cancels because</strong> "<strong>Mary doesn't want to go".</strong> Tough shiit, she is a child. Tell her she is going. Like I said, she is usually an awesome kid, but my adult play time is running thin. :)
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]

That would piss me off.  Seems like Mary is in charge of that house. 

I am all about adults time. 
  • Options
    No your not, you makde plans fri not saturday. Its understandable to want grown up tim ewith her. I can see her asking but not getting mad that you won't see her on saturday

Ps-Kieran is sucha  cute name!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I don't think you're being a bad friend at all!  I know I'd be frustrated and just a little bit hurt if my best friend tried to rearrange our plans to include her child when I'd been looking forward to some one-on-one time.  I like the suggestion of dinner with Jen on Friday and then a quick lunch out with Jen and Mary on Saturday or Sunday, if that works for you and your H.  It sounds like a reasonable compromise -- but I might not bring it up until you're already at dinner on Friday, so it becomes an "in addition to" rather than an "either/or." 

I'd love to friends with you IRL, Alli.  Does that sound creepy?
  • Options
    Thanks Emily! We wanted an Irish name, but not one like Aiden that everyone is using.

Celles, not creepy at all, my darling! Damn you for living so far away! Are you on FB? If you are, I am friends with a bunch of people on here and pretty easy to find.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else.  I don't understand these parents that have their lives completely revolving around their children.  Its not like a 12 year old is nursing or anything and needs to stick to a complete schedule.  I think its perfectly natural to want adult time and I'd find it strange that Jen couldn't get that you wanted some time with her and just her.
  • Options
    I know part of it is that the divorce from her ex was a nightmare, as was custody, and she cherishes all the time she can spend with Mary. She doesn't like getting a sitter very often because she feels like it is lost time. For that, I admire her. She is an awesome mom and has done an incredible job bringing up her daughter. And Mary is a good kid, but it is what it is - she is 12. And when she is so close to the day that she could stay home alone, I will have my own so my free days will be over! :)

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. H & I did just make reservations for Saturday at the restaurant we got engaged at, so at least I am not lying anymore!
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_am-bad-friend-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1f86faf5-452f-4681-ab77-62951ac5cbfaPost:0bf55b48-64d5-4a60-9c1c-0aa58e4d39d2">Re: Am I a bad friend? LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with everyone else.  I don't understand these parents that have their lives completely revolving around their children.  Its not like a 12 year old is nursing or anything and needs to stick to a complete schedule.  I think its perfectly natural to want adult time and I'd find it strange that Jen couldn't get that you wanted some time with her and just her.
    Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]

I wanted to answer everyone with this similar opinion.

I don't know that her life revolves around her daughter although I would prefer that to parents who ship their children off any chance they get. (or leave them alone at home. We don't really have all the information.

I'm not sure how many people here have kids (around 12yrs old or even older) and how many of them are divorced BUT it makes a huge difference in how things in your life go and how much time you get to spend with them.

I turn down going out many times to be with my kids and my life revolves around them by choice. Now the world I understand does not revolve around my kids however, it's my choice to spend my time with them. If someone really wants to see me they will. I do understand the grown-up time thing but when your on limited time to begin with (if you work full-time for example and you kids are in school or at an age where they do their own thing) then the time you do get is very special and sometimes you don't want to take an afternoon off. We only get so long before the kids grow up and move out or they are too cool to want to spend time with mom. Will one afternoon make a difference, we don't really know their story or the point they are at in life or any reasons she might have for not wanting the afternoon off from her daughter. We aren't in her head.

Maybe I am in a different situation than most on these boards but I am divorced and I work full time and I have kids so I can understand a mom wanting to make her kids happy. No, a 12 year old isn't nursing but who knows how much time they really get to spend together, who knows how often the child wants to do something with her mom. (that starts to get really rare)

Some people will never want to live that way and others will but I think it's really unfair to judge with very little information and even if she happliy chooses to let her daughter be the centre of her world, it's her choice. As long as she isn't trying to live again through her.

If someone were throwing me a shower the last thing I would do is complain about when they threw it no matter what the reason. My shower for my oldest was about a week and a half before he was due. I was just grateful. Showers are a gift and if the timing was that bad why not just decline it. They are a lot of work and if you aren't feeling only grateful then why put her through the planning and paying.

There is a HUGE difference between living your life through your kids and making them the center of your life. 

So bottom line in my opinion, neither person is wrong, they are just coming from different places right now.

OP you feel like you want that grown-up alone time and soon you will have little, that's ok as everyone said. But it's also ok if she doens't want the grown-up alone time right now. Why is it more selfish for her to not want to spend an afternoon away from her child than it is for you to get her time alone before your own child is born. You both want what you want. None of us can judge how much time is enough for another parent to spend with their own child. (unless we are moving into abusive or weird circumstances or the parent is actually living through their kids)

EDITED
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_am-bad-friend-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1f86faf5-452f-4681-ab77-62951ac5cbfaPost:821c555c-9dbc-4b58-bc26-e27b7f21e82f">Re: Am I a bad friend? LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Am I a bad friend? LONG : That would piss me off.  Seems like Mary is in charge of that house.  I am all about adults time. 
    Posted by DNAtime[/QUOTE]

Again, we can't really say Mary is in charge of anything because we don't know them. We know only what has been posted and it doesn't seem like the OP is seeing these people all the time either.

You can be about adult time all you want, I just think we could also respect people who aren't because that is their choice. And it's as fine a choice as any.

EDITED
    Sorry to everyone, I just don't see things the same but it could be because I am not in the same position as most here. She can change her mind about friday if she wants, you certainly don't have to be ok with Saturday but really, let it go. Just be straight with her, tell her this weekend didn't work but at some point you would love to get together alone and she can check her schedule as well so as not to miss her daughter.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_am-bad-friend-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1f86faf5-452f-4681-ab77-62951ac5cbfaPost:731b749f-3c77-44d1-8e99-54808988294c">Re: Am I a bad friend? LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Am I a bad friend? LONG : Again, we can't really say Mary is in charge of anything because we don't know them. We know only what has been posted and it doesn't seem like the OP is seeing these people all the time either. You can be about adult time all you want, I just think we could also respect people who aren't because that is their choice. And it's as fine a choice as any. EDITED Sorry to everyone, I just don't see things the same but it could be because I am not in the same position as most here. She can change her mind about friday if she wants, you certainly don't have to be ok with Saturday but really, let it go. Just be straight with her, tell her this weekend didn't work but at some point you would love to get together alone and she can check her schedule as well so as not to miss her daughter.
    Posted by blush64[/QUOTE]

I have kids (3 teens in fact) and I am divorced.  And I cherish the time I have with my daughters.

Sure it is fair for Jen to want to spend time with Mary - but then she should have declined when it was suggested they get together.  This isn't about not spending time with her kid.

If you re-read the OP - she doesn't have her daughter on Friday night - hence why it would be perfect for adult time.  It was the friend that suggested changing to Saturday so the kid could come along. 

I think OP has every right to be peeved that her friend is wanting to change not just the date but the type of time they spend together. 

I would die for my kids - and they know it.  But they also understand that for me to be an AWESOME Mom I have to have some ME time with my girlfriends that allows ME to be completely silly. 

OP - I think you are perfectly well within your rights to do as you've done.  I might even explain to your friend that with the baby coming soon - you are trying to get in some quality adult time beforehand.  She should recognize the value of that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_am-bad-friend-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1f86faf5-452f-4681-ab77-62951ac5cbfaPost:d1fa5226-9ef3-40ec-9a0d-c2fdc7258a06">Re: Am I a bad friend? LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Am I a bad friend? LONG : I have kids (3 teens in fact) and I am divorced.  And I cherish the time I have with my daughters. Sure it is fair for Jen to want to spend time with Mary - but then she should have declined when it was suggested they get together.  This isn't about not spending time with her kid. If you re-read the OP - she doesn't have her daughter on Friday night - hence why it would be perfect for adult time.  It was the friend that suggested changing to Saturday so the kid could come along.  I think OP has every right to be peeved that her friend is wanting to change not just the date but the type of time they spend together.  I would die for my kids - and they know it.  But they also understand that for me to be an AWESOME Mom I have to have some ME time with my girlfriends that allows ME to be completely silly.  OP - I think you are perfectly well within your rights to do as you've done.  I might even explain to your friend that with the baby coming soon - you are trying to get in some quality adult time beforehand.  She should recognize the value of that.
    Posted by shytownkelly[/QUOTE]

Thank you! This was my point. I made the Friday plans so she wouldn't have to make a choice between me and her daughter. And as her the shower part - I think if I was throwing a shower for someone, I wouild want to make it at a good time for them, not basing on whether my son could be there or not.  I said in my OP that I was so grateful that she was doing it at all for me, so I don't like the implication that I was ungrateful.

Anyway, I haven't heard back from her, so I guess I won't be seeing her.
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    I know you made the plans for Friday and she changed them BUT just as you want to spend the time together Friday, have you figured that your friend doesn't want to which is why she changed plans.

Be angry but sometimes we don't feel like doing things. Better to cancel early than to wait until Friday and let you down.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_am-bad-friend-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1f86faf5-452f-4681-ab77-62951ac5cbfaPost:35dd956a-170e-48fd-ab38-70b2d899ee3f">Re: Am I a bad friend? LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know you made the plans for Friday and she changed them BUT just as you want to spend the time together Friday, have you figured that your friend doesn't want to which is why she changed plans. Be angry but sometimes we don't feel like doing things. Better to cancel early than to wait until Friday and let you down.
    Posted by blush64[/QUOTE]

You need some reading comprehension skills. SHE originally suggested Friday. And, BTW, she did wait until 5:30pm on Friday to cancel our plans for Friday night (at 7pm). But apparently you seem to think I am the bad person here. Whatever.
  • Options
    You still around Alli?

I get the annoyance on the baby shower timing. I'm completely grateful that I'm getting a shower at all, but mine is at 34 weeks (next weekend, finally) and it's been stressful. H and I have been trying to budget so we're not having to spend $400 all at once and it's not been easy with the shower so late and relatives going "oh don't buy stuff because we'll give it to you at the shower". I've also been incredibly paranoid about going into labor early, especially given the rate of premie babies July has going on right now.
  • Options
    allisong23allisong23 member
    edited May 2011
    KW, I know. I am also such an impatient person - I want everythig set up now! H has been taking forever to get everything clearwed out of the office so we can turn it into the nursery, and it still isn't ready. So we haven't painted, haven't picked up furniture, nothing.  It makes me crazy, and since the shower is at our house, I would like to have it as set up as much as I can when the shower rolls around to show off. So much to do, so little time!

How are you feeling?
  • Options

Yeah, I gave up and just started buying stuff lol. We ended up purchasing the car seat, stroller, PnP, etc. because I didn't want to chance it not being purchased by the shower. At this point if she comes early we'll be prepared, and just have to order the extra stuff which makes me less crazy.

I've been good. I think we're going through a growth spurt today though because I'm tired and sore. It doesn't help that H was "playing" with the baby this morning by tapping on my belly and then she'd kick, he'd tap, kick, etc. so she was all hyper lol.

• Options
    We have a bassinet, PnP (my aunt sent her shower gift early), the crib and dresser are ready to be picked up, and an infant car seat for big stuff now, so worst comes to worst, we will be okay. We could live without the stroller temporarily.

Kieran likes to headbutt my cervix. Thanks, little guy. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    Ugh, Berry likes to play that game too, although I'm convinced she's just flicking it with her little fingers or something. "Hmm I'm bored and the bladder game is boring, I know! Let's flick mom's cervix" Her latest game is sticking some small part of her anatomy between my ribs. That or I think she's just sprawling so she's got an arm on each side of my hips and legs sprawled in my chest lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards