Snarky Brides
Options

Where is Bosnia?

Re: Where is Bosnia?

• Options

Gotta give a shout-out to Google on this one!

• Options
    Im not going to google but isnt it in eastern europe, towards russia/georgia/turkey area?
  • Options
    What point are you proving?  I am interested.  Also, I knew where Bosnia was.
  • Options
    SE part, to be specific.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    We are currently watching Clueless and H laughed when Cher (Alicia Silverstone) thought Bosnia was in the Middle East. I said I doubted most people in the US knew where Bosnia was without googling.
  • Options
    Huh, I kinda wasnt all that close. Its nowwhere near russia or turkey.
  • Options
    Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited October 2010
    FI and I know, but only because our next door neighbors are crazy Bosnians who occasionally kidnap us and force Bosnian music videos and pictures of their dead son's grave on us.

I'm not exaggerating what so ever. :)
  • Options
    I hate it when people don't know general geography (yes, that's me, judging). The last country I couldn't place on a map was Bhutan. I was in front of thirty grade 8 students and I was horrified. But then again I consider that kind of geography to be common knowledge that all people should know, like the capitals of European countries, or what languages are spoken in South America (and in which countries). I remember when I was 12 I was in Jamaica on holiday and I made a comment about Mexicans speaking Mexican. I was quickly corrected and told that they speak Spanish and that Mexican isn't a language. I felt like an idiot and swore to myself that I would never say anything dumb like that (in public) again.
  • Options
    Well, I admit that I only know because of the mass genocide that took place there when I first entered high school (sometime around 95-96?).  We had to do current events journals, so I was following the Serbia-Bosnia story pretty closely.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bosnia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:27285e93-fde0-446c-ad59-26d199870f0fPost:c3150b26-6954-4386-b336-a66ad99ee0e2">Re: Where is Bosnia?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is Bosnia? : I know!  I couldn't get into that book to save my life.  And I had my dept. chair order it for one of our electives, thinking it would be a great bok to get them interested in current events.  Yeah, not so much. 
    Posted by NatesGirl16[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't think I read the entire thing. Granted I was around 12ish when I read it, but I do remember it being kind of boring.

I took a Holocaust and Genocide class in college and a guy in my class was from Bosnia and had immigrated after the war. It was interesting listening to his stories.
  • Options
    Yeah, wrong "A" country....
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    i worked for an international aid organization that had a program in bosnia so i know exactly where it is.

we also studied the conflict in school...  but then again i'm in canada.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bosnia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:27285e93-fde0-446c-ad59-26d199870f0fPost:38f4a78c-1880-431b-9f43-ebd24afb95ef">Re: Where is Bosnia?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is Bosnia? : <strong>Yeah I don't think I read the entire thing. Granted I was around 12ish when I read it, but I do remember it being kind of boring. </strong>I took a Holocaust and Genocide class in college and a guy in my class was from Bosnia and had immigrated after the war. It was interesting listening to his stories.
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

When I was 15 I had to read a book called "All But My Life" by Gerda Weissman Klein. It's another Holocaust book, but it was fabulous and not boring. It made me cry.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Thanks mery! I know this sounds bad, but I love Holocaust books. I think it's the idea that people can go through something so horrific and come out on the other side. It was also such a different time back then, but not forever long ago like the Civil War or something.
  • Options
    Okay I'm feeling a little clueless, lol
    Embarassed
    Geography isn't my best subject.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I first learned of Bosnia and Serbia while dating the most beautiful boy I ever dated...a male model who was Serbian.  Too bad he was a box of rocks.  Not much to talk to, but he sure was nice to look at:)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ha!  This reminds me of when LindaUSVI or whatever thought I was lying about the time difference between me and Scott when he was in Uganda.  hehe.

I have to admit I only know where it* is because Scott is INCREDIBLE with geography.  It's freaky how well he knows his countries.

*it being bosnia herzegovina, not uganda.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bosnia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:27285e93-fde0-446c-ad59-26d199870f0fPost:0bfc472c-44f2-4526-bd2d-375ed18983f7">Re: Where is Bosnia?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks mery! I know this sounds bad, but I love Holocaust books. I think it's the idea that people can go through something so horrific and come out on the other side. It was also such a different time back then, but not forever long ago like the Civil War or something.
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. It's more about the positive of what came out of it for me. Has anyone ever read or heard of the book "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas"?

I haven't read it, but I know what it's about (thanks to wikipedia) and it brought tears to my eyes just reading about it. It's on my reading list for sure.
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    I only knew because I dated a Marine who served in Bosnia for NATO duty...
  • Options
    {QUOTE]Now, Kristi, if you asked what continent Russia was on, that would be a harder question...
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]
    Could-be-better-quality clicky
  • Options
    We actually talk about Bosnia in our house a lot.  I have one dog who is deathly afraid of red laser pointer pens.  So we say that it reminds her of her childhood in Bosnia during the war.  If she sees one or even hear you pick one up, she runs out the dog door.  It is so bad that she flinches if you even say Bosnia now.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    aaaaahhahaha i am an a$$ ... my brother was stationed there so I SHOULD know this but NOPE. I am the one who guesed africa. BTW I am also that girl who went out driving one day in my new neighborhood to find a car wash and ended up downtown somewhere shady. I am not the one you ask where something is!! hilarious Cool
  • Options
    I didn't know.

I also didn't like Zlata's Diary at all. But I did *love* Persepolis. It's a graphic novel about the Iranian Revolution. It is awesome.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bosnia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:27285e93-fde0-446c-ad59-26d199870f0fPost:e34f264f-7837-4c22-9a37-05a92576921b">Re: Where is Bosnia?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are currently watching Clueless and H laughed when Cher (Alicia Silverstone) thought Bosnia was in the Middle East. I said I doubted most people in the US knew where Bosnia was without googling.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

Heh, I bet a lot of people in the U.S. also don't know where the Hai-ti-ans live. ;) I love that movie.

p.s. I knew where it was without googling too, yay!

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    I was born in Bosnia and immigrated to USA in 1997. It was interesting reading all these posts and somewhat shocking that people don't know where it is. Also funny what the girls who have Bosnian neighbors say..it's all true!! Lol

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bosnia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:27285e93-fde0-446c-ad59-26d199870f0fPost:abaaa71b-afce-4aed-99e7-329f91e74bc0">Re: Where is Bosnia?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was born in Bosnia and immigrated to USA in 1997. It was interesting reading all these posts and somewhat shocking that people don't know where it is. Also funny what the girls who have Bosnian neighbors say..it's all true!! Lol
    Posted by MissBrightside[/QUOTE]

<div>srsly? this had to have been at least 25 pages back.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bosnia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:27285e93-fde0-446c-ad59-26d199870f0fPost:b9241634-232e-4e29-8e3c-49a42eff076c">Re: Where is Bosnia?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is Bosnia? : srsly? this had to have been at least 25 pages back.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

This.

And. I love you.
  • Options
    Damn, another chance to see that no one laughed at my Haiti-ans reference. As if.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards