Snarky Brides
Options

PITA FMIL - Help Guys!

Hey Knotties, 

I need some advice. My FMIL is a royal pain in the butt. Her and FH have never had a good relationship, but lately it's just gotten worse and worse. It has gotten to the point where FH would like his father, who is an alcoholic and hasn't seen him in 10 years, at the wedding and would like his mother to not be invited. This will probably just be a really long rant, because I'm hoping it gets some of my frustration out, but if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly FMIL threw a major fit because her and FH went to the bank to make some changes to his loan from school, which she had co-signed on, and FH was talking to the ladies at the bank about the wedding. Her fit was that she "had no clue about anything for the wedding" because we don't tell her. We had told her the wedding date and location, and she was so negative, FH refuses to tell her anymore about our wedding plans. On top of all this, she wanted him to move a vehicle he had at her house, and so we did. She's now throwing a fit about the fact that he also moved his racecar, which she claims to own, although we have the bill of sale and everything.

Rewind to his Uncle in England dying. She sent him a public message on facebook to tell him that since she had no way of contacting him to tell him, she didn't try. Conveniently, she forgets that he sent her his new number in a text message, which she ignored. She also conveniently forgot, until today's hissy fit (and yes, that is what it is) that she has my telephone number, and could call me if she doesn't have his. WE LIVE TOGETHER, it's not like I couldn't get a message to him.

I am really not sure what to do in this situation, FMIL is driving me up a wall, FH falls asleep crying after their fights, and doesn't know what to do, and the rest of his family (cousins, grandparents, aunts and uncles) are super excited for the wedding. It is to the point right now that FH doesn't speak to his twin sister, because she lives with FMIL and tells her everything. We have gone so far as to move, and not tell them what our address is, because FH doesn't want them showing up at the house. 

These next 9 months should be the happiest of our lives, and it seems like they will just be a nightmare. We have our dream wedding planned, and have the money/ability to have it, but I have been considering elopement alot lately. I think it would be the best choice, given our situation, but it will break my family's heats. What to do.....
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: PITA FMIL - Help Guys!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_pita-fmil-help-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2ba75c0f-8b06-4dcb-b5c4-9ff9ef4976d4Post:8d85ba7a-86e6-4cd6-a3f6-efcc6b4a6fee">Re: PITA FMIL - Help Guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry. My advice is to not get married since it will end the happiest time in your life. Might as well just stay engaged your whole life to remain happy.
    Posted by kodakitty[/QUOTE]

Hehe,,,I miss you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_pita-fmil-help-guys?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:2ba75c0f-8b06-4dcb-b5c4-9ff9ef4976d4Post:8d85ba7a-86e6-4cd6-a3f6-efcc6b4a6fee">Re: PITA FMIL - Help Guys!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry. My advice is to not get married since it will end the happiest time in your life. Might as well just stay engaged your whole life to remain happy.
    Posted by kodakitty[/QUOTE]

Ha. :)

OP - tell your FI not to talk to her, since it only leads to him getting upset. Since you are paying for the wedding, you can invite whoever you want. If he doesn't want to invite her, don't invite her. If you want to elope, elope, but don't have a fake wedding later just because you regret not having the big party and wearing a dress in front of everyone. (Not that you would, but I've seen that on here a LOT.)

Talk to your FI about all of this. It's his mother, so it will be his decision in the end.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys! The FH is pretty upset about it all, and I think he's planning on waiting to decide what to do about it. Luckily, we have almost 9 months to go, so it isn't a huge issue yet!

To ease your mind wrigleyville, if we elope, we won't have a fake wedding later, but my mom's family will have some form of reception, I just don't get to wear the white dress and what-not. They just like an excuse to get together. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards