Snarky Brides
Options

Could you graduate 10th grade?

2»

Re: Could you graduate 10th grade?

• Options
    I got them all right so I'd pass 10th but I'm certain that's as far as I'd go. I took AP Calc in high school and now I'm sure I couldn't even do any pre-Calc. 10th grade math can still be reasoned out. Calc gets crazy! I don't love standardized tests. I've always been good at them but I don't think it's a fair way to assess smarts. Some people test well and some don't. I did better on the SATs then people that I think are way smarter than me.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I didnt even attempt the math, but I got 6 out of 7 of the Reading. And the one I missed was stupid. I sucked at math.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I hate math tests.  I got 7/7 on the reading test, and 5/7 on the math. 

I wrote my own math problem the other day that I think most people could understand (this while talking my BFF off the ledge while she was studying for her math final):

Johnny walks into a bar with $10.  There is a happy hour special with $2 Jagerbombs.  If Johnny wants to pick up a hooker on his way home tonight that costs $4, how many Jagerbombs can Johnny buy and still have enough left over for his special lady?

Too bad it wouldn't make it into a textbook.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    I agree with maratea!!! they should have to know real life stuff to wonder off into the real world!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think that, in general, most of the english questions are common sense (ie, you can figure it out if you think about it and the answers provided) and are used more widely on a daily basis because everyone talks/writes every day.  Math on the other hand, generally requires memorization of specific formulas, so outside of things that relate to daily math necessities (addition, subtraction, etc), it's much harder to pick back up once you are out of practice.

I did well in both English and math in high school/college, but these days I could more readily tell you what the meaning of a word in context is than figure out math proof that I haven't even glanced at in 10 years.

So really, it's not surprising that most adults would fail (or at least score lower than a 10th grader) in the math portion of standardized tests because we don't necessarily use it as often in our lives.  But I'd definitely be astonished to find any adult who couldn't at least pass the english portion.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_could-graduate-10th-grade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3bd5dcc9-e816-48c6-951b-0b9c91899d61Post:6f941bcb-99a4-40b6-8be1-44da666a509e">Re: Could you graduate 10th grade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]5/7 on reading 4/7 on math.. and I stink at tests..
    Posted by Nattie24[/QUOTE]
    I scored the same. Is 50% considered a pass? If not, what is a passing grade?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I got 6/7 on the math, but I just finished all my college math--high school was 30+ years ago.  Got tired of circling around for the reading, so I didn't do it...
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_could-graduate-10th-grade?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3bd5dcc9-e816-48c6-951b-0b9c91899d61Post:6f872b79-ad49-4803-b21f-e3e2eb6a9fe7">Re: Could you graduate 10th grade?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Could you graduate 10th grade? : It wasn't testing an actual square root, just the process of factoring it out. sqrt(50) = sqrt(25) * sqrt(2) = 5 * sqrt(2)
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]
    yeah, i got this one wrong too. I dont remember anything about doing stuff wih square roots. I know the Pythagoren theorum though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards