Snarky Brides
Options

Please don't do this....

So fiance and I got a wedding invitation on Friday for a woman fiance works with. He's talked to her maybe 3 times in his life, and it's a really large company (more than 200 people). He didn't even know she was engaged lol. Anyway, that's not the point. 

In the invitation was this "poem":

For a couple of years we’ve lived in sin, 
We have a Toaster, a Kettle and a Stainless Steel Bin. 
Saucepans and Towels we have many, 
Corkscrews and Flannels we don’t need any,
We just want you with us to celebrate our day.
But if you insist on a gift anyway, 
What we’d really like is a gift of money,
We hope you don’t think we’re being funny! 
We’ll put it all together and buy something that’s best, 
as a reminder of our day and our wonderful guests!

Is it just me or is that this in really poor taste? I logged onto facebook today, and one of our friends has already sent me an OMG DID YOU GET THEIR INVITATION POEM?! message.

Who in their right mind thinks this is a good idea??? I wonder how long they took to come up with that catchy poem, but now by the looks of it it's really back firing on them. 

So, to the point of my message: please don't use poems like these! IMO asking for money via word of mouth is fine, but asking for money this way from people you barely know is yuck.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Please don't do this....

• Options
    That would be enough for me to respectfully decline. Unbelievable.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    That is really awful
  • Options
    Decline, and send them a knitted toliet paper cozy.
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
    redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    I would decline & send them a cheap corkscrew with the poem attached.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    That's just so....wrong.  Give them a Monopoly game and explain that there's money inside.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    That is hilarious and absolutely inappropriate.  I would decline the invitation but send them something REALLY crappy (that they can't return)!  I don't know who in their right mind would think that it okay. 
  • Options
    Ohy that's horribly tacky lol. I live on my own and there's plenty I could still use! It's called registering ask for gift cards or something not a tacky poem for cash. Wow!
  • Options
    wow. That is unbelievable. My FI and bought an apartment and have lived together for years, I mean who on earth doesn't before they're married, or at least a lot of modern day couples? That doesn't give people the right to be completely inappropriate. Completely tasteless, therefore, decline and send oven mitts.  
  • Options
    wow!! it took me a few minutes to figure out what to even say!! That is just so rude. What went through their heads that would make them thing it was acceptable to say all that?!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Its amazing that they put so much thought into the poem and didn't realize how rude it was. Amazing.. I hope they get NO gifts.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Go to Bed Bath and Beyond.  Find something on the clearance shelf that is incomplete and/or broken and way cheap.  Gift that without a gift receipt.  
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    The living in sin part would turn me off right away. That's horrendous! It's a figure of speech that, IMO, is a bit on the offensive side to those who chose to live together before marriage.
  • Options
    Wow... what amazes me is that they honestly thought THAT was a good idea?? Do they have no etiquette?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_please-dont-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4288530e-f722-478a-b905-c2d8f2fab62dPost:bd57247f-2afc-46c2-a3fd-ff567596f855">Re: Please don't do this....</a>:
    [QUOTE]The living in sin part would turn me off right away. That's horrendous!
    Posted by vgmartinez[/QUOTE]

No kidding!  OMG, that entire poem makes me want to barf.
    weddingcollage
  • Options
    horrible.

in all the wedding planning do brides never search for advice? I mean, I had a question on etiquette that was 1/10th and embarrassing as asking for money in a invitation poem and all it took was posting a question on this board to get a million NOs back and it was problem solved.
  • Options
    We dropped our "NO" reply in the mail this morning. Fiance was tempted to make another little "poem" for them, but we aren't creative enough to come up with something clever :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We do not think you poem is funny.
    Do not expect us to give you money.

• Options
    Wow that poem is so insanely wrong that it seems like a joke. I really hope it was a joke.

But, it certainly makes for a great conversation piece!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    To insult your "guests" in this way is base
    You should be informed it's in very poor taste
    When considering what gift befits such a "host"
    May I suggest you read Emily Post!

I would gift wrap her book and send it with the decline. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_please-dont-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4288530e-f722-478a-b905-c2d8f2fab62dPost:e9116cd2-75d1-4bba-a02e-ca089e4a5b04">Re: Please don't do this....</a>:
    [QUOTE]To insult your "guests" in this way is base You should be informed it's in very poor taste When considering what gift befits such a "host" May I suggest you read Emily Post! I would gift wrap her book and send it with the decline. 
    Posted by Soon2BeMrsTing[/QUOTE]

That's awesome.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Wowzers! I'd get them something from Things Remembered so they can't return it and have it engraved with their names misspelled... or maybe even an ex's name instead if I'm feeling especially catty that day.
  • Options
    Wow these people are idiots. That was a terrible poem and extremely rude.
    I'd right a stupid poem back to them on their RSVP.
    " I feel badly that I must decline. I'm sorry I just don't have the time. You will get no gifts or money from us. Your rude and tastless poem through you under the bus."

Ok so i'm cheesy and bored :)  Love the idea Daffodil
    Anniversary
  • Options

O....M....G....

No, no no no no and oh yeah, no.

Decline. For sure. Lol. Who does that?

Wouldn't it be funny if this person was on TK and saw this, btw?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_please-dont-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4288530e-f722-478a-b905-c2d8f2fab62dPost:75845f02-ab6f-4f83-b273-7748c1f57fb8">Re: Please don't do this....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wouldn't it be funny if this person was on TK and saw this, btw?
    Posted by kaynix21[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>HAHA I was actually thinking that.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in the college library and I was just asked to not laugh quite to loudly because it might disturb the other students who are here to study. That poem was so horrible it was hysterical. Thank you for the laugh.
  • Options
    If they were on these forums... then surely they know by now that asking for cash outright like that is inappropriate. I loved the idea of the Emily Post book as a gift. Attach the poem and five bucks to the card.Laughing
  • Options
    PiruPiru member
    First Comment
    Ew. I'm considering leaving a way to give us money but certainly not in that tacky of a manner!
    And if you should die before me, ask if you can take a friend. Pick a flower, close your eyes,and drift away- STP
    June siggy challenge!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_please-dont-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4288530e-f722-478a-b905-c2d8f2fab62dPost:e5f95012-f1fd-4bd4-9452-07d5192dd87f">Re: Please don't do this....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would decline & send them a cheap corkscrew with the poem attached.
    Posted by redheadfsu[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>YES!!!

</div>
  • Options
    I am totally using that poem.  I mean, I should be able to tell my guests what gift to get us.  And they better send enough cash to cover their cost of attendance at our wedding, or we will throw them out of the reception.  No cake for you!!!

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards