Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Dresses- Weight loss??

Hi Ladies,This may seem like a silly question, so I am sorry in advance. I am a border-line plus girl and extremely unhappy with my body right now. I have started a strict diet and will be exercising 6 days a week until April 10 for my wedding. So, David's Bridal is having a sale right now and I would really like to go try on some dresses. But, I know that I will hate what I look like right now in my future wedding dress. Do I go try some on even though I am praying I lose weight? Or do I wait until I do lose the weight?Thanks for the advice. Ashley

Re: Dresses- Weight loss??

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I say lose the weight, but buy the dress that fits you now.  Nothing is worse than buying a dress a size too small and then stressing yourself to fit into it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know a girl who brought a dress several months before her wedding that was several sizes too small and it was her payoff and goal for losing weight.  And she did it!  She just changed her eating habits and started exercising.  With that said please don't be doing no crazy diet or starving yourself:)I'm losing weight (slowly) and I went ahead and went shopping and surely they will have more sales between now and when you plan on buying your dress.  I say give it a few months, see how exercising and the diet is going for you and go from there...you're about 9 months out.
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My recommendation would be to start losing weight now but I would go into maintenance mode as you hit the end of February.  I say that because, at some point, you have to stay at a size that isn't going to change during alterations.  Also, please remember that you didn't put all this weight on during the course of six months.  There have been many studies that say a slower, steadier weight loss is better for your body.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Keep in mind that the right dress (especially corset backs) can go down 2-3 sizes with some alterations. Buy what fits you now--you can easily go down, but it isn't so easy to go up. I was in a similar situation--the dress I loved went on sale for 20% so I went ahead and bought it even though I wanted to lose a lot weight. I think I could still lose 20 lbs, though and not need alternations for it to still fit okay. It would be miserable if it was too small, though.
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • Options
    DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Mariah.  You never know how your body is going to lose weight (what area is going to shed the most), so it's safer to wait, at least wait until your weight loss starts to plateau so you know approximately what a realistic end result goal is. David's has the 99 dollar sale all the time (I know this is like the 3rd sale this year), so I wouldn't fret.  And yeah, there's hardly any dresses that are actually $99.  
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    almoyoalmoyo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try to buy a dress about 5-6 months out. Some special order gowns take several months to come in. I ordered a Maggie Sottero dress in January 2009, and didn't receive it until June 2009.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say, if you're ready to start looking at dresses, go.  If you find the one, buy it.  If you lose the weight, great.  But your FI obviously loves you the way you are.  Lose the weight (in a healthy way) to be healthier and feel better about yourself.  You will be a beautiful bride no matter what size you are.
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You said it, stephiehall!
  • Options
    mandasue178mandasue178 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Stephie, she said it perfectly. Also remember that wedding planning is high stress, and stress and weight loss don't often go hand in hand. Our brains can only deal with so much! I'm plus sized, and I found a dress that I loved, and while I'm still not happy with my body, I was more than happy with my dress.
    Becoming My Mother
    Names for our Currently Non-Existent Baby Anniversary
    Dx: PCOS 3/11
    **TTC buddies with Browneyedhunni85**
  • Options
    rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm literally in the same situation. My date is April 10, and am losing weight as well. From what I've gathered from the ladies here the best thing to do is just wait to buy. Go shopping enjoy the experience, but wait til the 1st of November, AT THE LATEST, to buy your dress. That way you should have just enough time to order and alter the dress for "our" date. When you buy your dress buy the size that fits that day. As it has been said it is easy to take it in, but not the other way around. Also, keep in mind corset backs they can come in tight if you lose more weight from order date to wedding date, or can be let out if need be. Sorry this is so long, HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the same boat- trying to lose the weight before I buy my dress. I went shopping this weekend- partly as motivation to lose the weight! A little hard on the ego, but great for motivation. I haven't found "the one" yet, but if I do, I'll buy it to fit now and then alter it to fit when it comes in. Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    callie_knotcallie_knot member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am in the same boat as you. I went ahead and ordered the dress in the size that fit me not the size I wanted to be. And sadly I have not done the WW program the way I shoudl have or worked out very much. And we even changed the date back so I thought I would have more time. I thin kyou can always take it up easier than make it bigger.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would wait a bit on the dress. You have time. I lost 20 lbs but have lost little to nothing as I've gotten closer to my wedding as I have found less time to workout as it's gotten closer and more stress with details to wrap up so stress and weight loss do not go hand and hand for me. A corset back is quite versatile on size. If you are in between sizes you might go to the smaller one for a little nudget of inspiration if you have plenty of time but I wouldn't go down a size or more- too risky. I did s very tight size on a brides maid dress once and lost the way but Iw as almost into it when I ordered it and had enough time. That and some spanx! wonders.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much for your advice!! I will wait to even go looking for a dress until later this year. And, hopefully I will have slimmed down so I won't have to worry about being "too big" to fit into certain types of dresses. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards