Snarky Brides

OMG I would die.

Holy shitz.  This is why I would never do anything like this.  Ever. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/25/woman-80-falls-from-skydiving-harness-and-lives

CN: 80 year old woman goes skydiving and slips out of the harness.  The instructer hold onto her for dear life..  Good lord.
045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
BabyFruit Ticker
DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!

Re: OMG I would die.

• NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I saw that on the news lastnight. The video is freaking terrible.
  • This is why I can not convince myself to skydive, bungee jump, etc..
    imageVacation
  • Whoa. No thank you. How does one slip out of a freaking safety harness? 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • This is why I will never do this.  Also, I would have been dead regardless of whether or not my instructor hung on for dear life because I would have had a major heart attack.  
  • I will never skydive, bungee jump, etc. Too scary for me.
  • Yup.  EXACTLY why I won't jump out of a plane.  BECAUSE SHlT HAPPENS.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_omg-i-would-die?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:47937128-d519-4916-8339-287a4c301170Post:c6d50977-1352-4061-b01e-729e0c1e5aca">Re: OMG I would die.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Whoa. No thank you. How does one slip out of a freaking safety harness? 
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it wasn't fastened correctly. There's no reason that anyone should slip out of a properly secured harness.

I went skydiving once and didn't think it was very scary, though it was kind of surreal. And windy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_omg-i-would-die?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:47937128-d519-4916-8339-287a4c301170Post:22e0d493-55a7-466d-81c5-7506239cdccd">Re: OMG I would die.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yup.  EXACTLY why I won't jump out of a plane.  BECAUSE SHlT HAPPENS.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Yes.  This is the type of thing that would happen to me.  I have the worst luck.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • I wonder if the instructor is rethinking his chosen career path right now.  i know I would be if I'd spent an entire sky diving excursion holding some poor old women in a vise grip in order to prevent her from tumbling to her death.  Yeah, kind of hard to come back from that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ahh!  That is so scary!  It wouldn't let me view the video though, so I'm assuming it was taken down.  I would never sky dive because I hate the feeling of my stomach dropping.  I don't even like roller coasters because the drops make me sick.
  • Yep, I still want to do it too, jcb.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • They've made the video private now. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_omg-i-would-die?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:47937128-d519-4916-8339-287a4c301170Post:ecfd57be-262a-4417-a98c-9d8430bcf2b9">Re: OMG I would die.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ahh!  That is so scary!  It wouldn't let me view the video though, so I'm assuming it was taken down.  <strong>I would never sky dive because I hate the feeling of my stomach dropping.</strong>  I don't even like roller coasters because the drops make me sick.
    Posted by brilibby4[/QUOTE]

What's funny is that you don't feel that when you're skydiving, because you're in free fall rather than on the trajectory of a roller coaster track. That's one of the reasons that I found it skydiving a little disappointing. It doesn't FEEL like you're falling. It just feels windy.
  • arwo that is interesting.  I never even thought of that!
  • LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    That video is horrifying.  Poor lady is screaming 'NO!' and they shove her out the door anyway.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Holyfuck - I just watched it through a different link.  That poor woman!

• Gosh, she thought that was normal?  Well, I guess here's to not noticing vs. having that be the most horrifying few minutes of your life.  
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNjVe_xyjoI&feature=related

Probably the best to the actual video. You can tell she's demanding she doesn't want to go, and the instructor was holding on to her from the start because of pushing her out
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I still wanna go too. Poor lady though :(
    June 16, 2012
  • ohdeargod. Yeah, f.ck that.

I have a friend from college who's a jumpmaster. First rule- the second someone shows any change of heart, you stop the jump. FFS, don't pry their hands off of the doorway.

Plus, you can see the harness doesn't fit right even before they jump!
  • I would have crapped my pants.
    Anniversary
  • That's crazy, I don't get how she could have fallen out of her harness though, did they not have it secured properly?  Very scary for her.

I still want to go though.  H went before we met and said it was a lot of fun.
    Anniversary
  • You can see that the harness isn't tight around her shoulder when she is sitting there before the jump. I think I would have sued that company for making her jump after refusing and not double or triple checking that her harness was secure.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I went skydiving once. I went tandem, as this woman did but ~ we fell straight out and down for a short time, and then pulled the cord to open the shute. There was no crazy spinning, or what looks like flips in the video of this lady's jump. Also based on the experience that I had doing it, I cannot imagine that I would have been forced to do it if I showed any reservation at all. They definitely would have kept me in the plane.This was one crazy jump...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went skydiving once also.  We did a static-line set-up, where the chute opens as you are coming out of the airplane, like in the old war movies.  We had smaller planes though, 3 of us jumpers to a plane.  I made sure they stuck me up front, because I knew if there were not 2 other people to push my arse outta the plane, I would not do it.

I loved it, but I will not do it again.  H has always wanted to go handgliding, so I am buying him a package for a combo Father's Day/Anniversary gift sometime this year. 
    Anniversary
  • I went skydiving in New Zealand and even after seeing this video I would do it again - for me at least it was a wonderful experience.

Like PPs have said, if you change your mind and decide you don't want to jump, the companies have a legal obligation to not force you. If I were that poor woman I likewise would have sued the pants off the company for their actions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards