Snarky Brides

Gap Between Church Ceremony & Reception

2»

Re: Gap Between Church Ceremony & Reception

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gap-between-church-ceremony-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4842ed1f-a456-45b7-a236-8e3e8c7603bePost:1c9a2ede-e96d-4788-8b68-512d6c545c9b">Re: Gap Between Church Ceremony & Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gap Between Church Ceremony & Reception : MOST of the weddings Ive gone to were CASH yes CASH bar.....and it didnt bother anyone.....its funny ive never known it to be "BAD ETIQUETTE" to have a cash bar....
    Posted by aquari0216[/QUOTE]

A cash bar is rude.  Period.  Just because other weddings you have been to have done it does not make it acceptable or proper etiquette.

The reception (which includes anything that occurs after the ceremony) is a thank you to your guests for coming and witnessing your marriage ceremony.  When you host an event you should never, NEVER, ask your guests to open their wallets.  You host what you can afford and if that means you can't serve alcohol then you can't serve alcohol.  If that means you can only serve wine and beer then fine.  But you should never expect or make your guests pay for anything at your wedding.  Ever.

• RoxyandJcRoxyandJc member
    First Comment
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gap-between-church-ceremony-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4842ed1f-a456-45b7-a236-8e3e8c7603bePost:0835d1f2-3b6a-4b76-8d24-7abdae61ed25">Gap Between Church Ceremony & Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey there, So, I am getting a lot of different opinions on this when polling my friends/relatives. Our Catholic Church offered a 3pm and a 730pm Saturday wedding.  We are having a Catholic mass so we option for th 3pm option so we can take pictures after during daylight.  We also thought 830pm was too late to begin a reception where dinner wouldn't be until 9pm.  (We don't have a lot of hipsters and others who think it is cool to eat late.) We have a beautiful reception planned at a lovely restaurant which is highly acclaimed and I know once guests get there, they will be completely stuffed and drunk. (My fiance insists on full open premium bar for the entire length of the reception.) The amount of time between the ceremony and reception is probably going to be about 90 minutes for most guests with a start time of 6pm.  We have socked all of our money into the reception and can't really afford to entertain them beforehand.  Is it acceptable to just give them free time? If not, what would be a good plan to give to guests to fill the 90 minutes? Thanks for your advice. S
    Posted by travelchic1982[/QUOTE]

I will be having a 2 1/2 hour gap between my ceremony and reception. The only reason we are doing this is because the reception venue doesn't allow decorating the day before. So our families have to go from the ceremony to the reception venue to decorate. Luckily, the venue is not huge (our guest list is small), and we like things nice and simple so not to much decoration to worry about.
    The venue is in a part of the city that has a lot of attractions and things to do, so our guests will have many options.
    I think it is acceptable to sometimes have a gap if it will help keep within your budget. At the same time you want to be careful how long that gap is becuase then guests might end up deciding at the last minute not to attend the reception.
    RoxyandJc
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gap-between-church-ceremony-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4842ed1f-a456-45b7-a236-8e3e8c7603bePost:18429f16-93a9-42df-904d-8c82e0eec04d">Re: Gap Between Church Ceremony & Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't listen to these people. They did or are doing what they felt was right for THEIR wedding. Now you need to do what you feel is right for YOUR wedding. Don't let anyone tell you that you are wrong. It's your wedding, not their's. Remember that. If you want to have a cash bar, go for it. People might complain, but who cares? If they want a drink, they will buy a drink. Do what feels right to you, to make your day perfect for you.
    Posted by carilynn92[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Wow you give horrible advice.

</div>
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_gap-between-church-ceremony-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4842ed1f-a456-45b7-a236-8e3e8c7603bePost:e05069d3-b073-4f8f-83dd-d28e2ac72a70">Re: Gap Between Church Ceremony & Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gap Between Church Ceremony & Reception : Then u should throw her another $1000
    Posted by aquari0216[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Great, solid, legitimate advice. I love it!
    <div>
    </div><div>

</div></div>
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards