Snarky Brides

Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)

H and I saw the new Harry Potter movie last night. I've only seen the movies, and that is probably why I'm confused. So, can anyone who actually knows what's going on clear a few things up? I realize that some of these might be answered in the next movie.

1) Why was Malfoy so scared in the beginning? He always seemed so calm and collected in other movies, then suddenly he turns into a quivering coward when at the table with Voldemort. Did something happen? Was he scared Voldemort would use his wand against him?

2) Who were the guys in the woods that caught Harry and his friends, and why were they randomly roaming the woods? And who was that person they were carrying when that one guy stopped and smelled Hermione's perfume?

3) Are Ron and Hermione officially a couple, or are they still in that "will they or won't they" phase?

4) Who betrayed them when Harry was being moved? Do we know that yet?

Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)

• 1) Why was Malfoy so scared in the beginning? He always seemed so calm and collected in other movies, then suddenly he turns into a quivering coward when at the table with Voldemort. Did something happen? Was he scared Voldemort would use his wand against him?

If I recall correctly, he was outted as a Death Eater publicly and had their house rifled through etc. And Draco pussied out on the whole killing Dumbledore thing. So the whole failure thing is usually punished with death and whatnot.

2) Who were the guys in the woods that caught Harry and his friends, and why were they randomly roaming the woods? And who was that person they were carrying when that one guy stopped and smelled Hermione's perfume?

They're snatchers or something like that. They hunt down the half-bloods and Muggle borns for the corrupt ministry. Presumably, they were carrying someone to turn in for ransom. I can't remember how they're found.

3) Are Ron and Hermione officially a couple, or are they still in that "will they or won't they" phase?

Uh, I don't know about right then, but they're officially a couple by the end of it.

4) Who betrayed them when Harry was being moved? Do we know that yet?

I can't remember. I need to read the book again.
  • edited November 2010
    1) He's scared of Voldemort. Same as his dad. I'm sure he was terrified that Voldemort would do something to them, if something went wrong.

ETA: Also what Any said.

2) They were called Snatchers. They were sent by the MInistry to find Muggle-born wizards. The guy they were carrying, was just a guy.

3) I think they're semi-official.

4) Mandungus (sp?) betrayed them.
  • 4) Isn't it just due to him still having the "underage mark" on him?

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-fans-movie-questions-spoilers-obviously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:49ee8d11-d5af-4e0a-a70e-523aebc6196cPost:0b009755-2a83-41e9-a737-86c3af12fffd">Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)</a>:
    [QUOTE] 4) Mandungus (sp?) betrayed them.
    Posted by cupcakesfrosting[/QUOTE]

Ohhhh ya, thats right!

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited November 2010
    Right, I know why Draco was scared. I meant the father. Lucious, or however the hell you spell that name. I thought he was cool with Voldemort. Did Malfoy failing to kill Dumbledore put the entire family in his bad graces? He was so scared to hand over his wand.

Is Mandungus the guy who complained about not wanting to drink the pologies potion and turn into Harry, when they were moving him?
  • 1) Draco was scared of Voldemort in general. He had always been seduced with the wealth and the power Voldemort promised, but he never really understood the seriousness or terror Voldy also brought. Seeing one of his former teachers murdered in front of him probably didn't help any.

2) Those guys are called Snatchers. Basically, they roam around and bring in witches and wizard they think are not pureblooded. The person the were carrying could have been anybody.

3) Ron and Hermione are still in that will-they-won't-they phase. It's obvious they feel the way they do, but it's hard to foster a relationship when you are moving from place to place trying not to be killed so that you can save the entire wizarding world.

4) (This one I'm a little unsure of, but I'll try my best...) At the beginning, when Snape and Voldy are at the table at the Malfoy's manor, Snape was trying to lead Voldy off of the right course. That other guy (the head of magical law enforcement) had tortured information from one of the minor people in the Order. Then, when Mandungus apparated from his spot with Mad-Eye, it tipped Voldy off that the real Harry was with Hagrid, a belief that was only enforced when Hedwig tried to save Harry.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-fans-movie-questions-spoilers-obviously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:49ee8d11-d5af-4e0a-a70e-523aebc6196cPost:79f3dda4-6f1a-4a46-b7b6-e4875543a23f">Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Right, I know why Malfoy was scared. I meant the father. Lucious, or however the hell you spell that name. I thought he was cool with Voldemort. Did Malfoy failing to kill Dumbledore put the entire family in his bad graces? He was so scared to hand over his wand. <strong>Is Mandungus the guy who complained about not wanting to drink the pologies potion and turn into Harry, when they were moving him?
    </strong>Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

Ya, that's him. He's also the one Dobby and Creature dragged into the house.
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    Any is right about the first one. It was supposed to be Draco's job to kill Dumbledore but he didn't follow through with it and now he's afraid of being punished by Voldemort. It's the same reason Draco's mom is so worried at the beginning of the 6th movie and comes to talk to Snape.

I'm not sure about the other two, but Ron and Hermione aren't really "official official" yet. It doesn't make sense, they're confusing and complicated.

EDIT: Seshat I just saw your reply. I'm pretty sure Lucius is scared for basically the same reasons. The family's just been failing Voldemort in general.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-fans-movie-questions-spoilers-obviously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:49ee8d11-d5af-4e0a-a70e-523aebc6196cPost:79f3dda4-6f1a-4a46-b7b6-e4875543a23f">Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Right, I know why Malfoy was scared. I meant the father. Lucious, or however the hell you spell that name. I thought he was cool with Voldemort. Did Malfoy failing to kill Dumbledore put the entire family in his bad graces? He was so scared to hand over his wand. Is Mandungus the guy who complained about not wanting to drink the pologies potion and turn into Harry, when they were moving him?
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

I'm like 90% sure Malfoy didn't want him to use his wand in case something went wrong and then they did the reverse thingie and knew it was him. And just not having a wand in general. I really need to go reread it.

Yea, that was him.
  • oooo I LOVE CHATTING HP!!!

1) Why was Malfoy so scared in the beginning? He always seemed so calm and collected in other movies, then suddenly he turns into a quivering coward when at the table with Voldemort. Did something happen? Was he scared Voldemort would use his wand against him?
    hes starting to realize he doesnt want to be apart of the brutality. He was really freaked out in the last one because Voldemort ordered him to kill Dumbledore and he couldn't do it. Basically- hes terrified of what Voldemort will ask him to do next basically.

2) Who were the guys in the woods that caught Harry and his friends, and why were they randomly roaming the woods? And who was that person they were carrying when that one guy stopped and smelled Hermione's perfume? They are snatchers. They look for muggle borns and round them up for the ministry. They were carrying someone they captured.

3) Are Ron and Hermione officially a couple, or are they still in that "will they or won't they" phase? Not officially. They care about each other.. they WILL BE together but they never say it really.

4) Who betrayed them when Harry was being moved? Do we know that yet? SNAPE! In the book... Dumbledore ordered him to tell Voldemort when he would be moved so that Voldemort would continue to trust him. However, he confunded Mundungus and suggested the idea of 7 harrys to him so that Mundungus would suggest it to Madeye. That way- Harry remained protected. Snape also cursed off George's ear but it was a mistake. He was aiming for a death eater covertly.

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Lucius was scared because he had failed Voldemort so many times. And no one ever wants their wand taken from them as it's their means of protection. Notice that Bellatrix didn't offer her wand to Voldemort, either, and she's his biggest supporter.
    [QUOTE]Right, I know why Draco was scared. I meant the father. Lucious, or however the hell you spell that name. I thought he was cool with Voldemort. Did Malfoy failing to kill Dumbledore put the entire family in his bad graces? He was so scared to hand over his wand. <strong>Is Mandungus the guy who complained about not wanting to drink the pologies potion and turn into Harry, when they were moving him?
    </strong>Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

Yea.  He's seemed kind of like a character out of the Godfather or something. 

Any - I'm with you, I have to re-read the book.  I got it out when we got home Saturday, but haven't jumped in yet. 
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-fans-movie-questions-spoilers-obviously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:49ee8d11-d5af-4e0a-a70e-523aebc6196cPost:9eaf7803-0d5a-4dc2-ae2a-87b29b9c0c84">Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously) : I'm like 90% sure Malfoy didn't want him to use his wand in case something went wrong and then they did the reverse thingie and knew it was him. And just not having a wand in general. I really need to go reread it. Yea, that was him.
    Posted by Anysunrise[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of it also could be, they're just scared. It's not as though Voldemort is a nice guy. If something goes wrong, he has no qualms about killing his own people left and right. Draco screwed up, so Lucius is worried it's going to come back on him.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-fans-movie-questions-spoilers-obviously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:49ee8d11-d5af-4e0a-a70e-523aebc6196cPost:24d073f8-de1e-4d63-817f-25321a3881c4">Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)</a>:
    [QUOTE]oooo I LOVE CHATTING HP!!! 1) Why was Malfoy so scared in the beginning? He always seemed so calm and collected in other movies, then suddenly he turns into a quivering coward when at the table with Voldemort. Did something happen? Was he scared Voldemort would use his wand against him? hes starting to realize he doesnt want to be apart of the brutality. He was really freaked out in the last one because Voldemort ordered him to kill Dumbledore and he couldn't do it. Basically- hes terrified of what Voldemort will ask him to do next basically. 2) Who were the guys in the woods that caught Harry and his friends, and why were they randomly roaming the woods? And who was that person they were carrying when that one guy stopped and smelled Hermione's perfume? They are snatchers. They look for muggle borns and round them up for the ministry. They were carrying someone they captured. 3) Are Ron and Hermione officially a couple, or are they still in that "will they or won't they" phase? Not officially. They care about each other.. they WILL BE together but they never say it really.<strong> 4) Who betrayed them when Harry was being moved? Do we know that yet? SNAPE! In the book... Dumbledore ordered him to tell Voldemort when he would be moved so that Voldemort would continue to trust him. However, he confunded Mundungus and suggested the idea of 7 harrys to him so that Mundungus would suggest it to Madeye. That way- Harry remained protected. Snape also cursed off George's ear but it was a mistake. He was aiming for a death eater covertly.
    </strong>Posted by Starmusica[/QUOTE]

Hey hey hey. You're cheating! Lol. I really need to read the book.

I didn't want to before I saw the movie, because I'm always disappointed.
  • Star is totally right about the last question. I need to read the book again!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-fans-movie-questions-spoilers-obviously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:49ee8d11-d5af-4e0a-a70e-523aebc6196cPost:24d073f8-de1e-4d63-817f-25321a3881c4">Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)</a>:
    [QUOTE]oooo I LOVE CHATTING HP!!!  SNAPE! In the book... Dumbledore ordered him to tell Voldemort when he would be moved so that Voldemort would continue to trust him. However, he confunded Mundungus and suggested the idea of 7 harrys to him so that Mundungus would suggest it to Madeye. That way- Harry remained protected. Snape also cursed off George's ear but it was a mistake. He was aiming for a death eater covertly.
    Posted by Starmusica[/QUOTE]

Is this something that comes out later, or are people just supposed to know that Snape betrayed them? I've heard from others that he did so, but I wasn't sure if it was revealed later or not. You'd think someone would have seen Snape flying around trying to kill them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-fans-movie-questions-spoilers-obviously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:49ee8d11-d5af-4e0a-a70e-523aebc6196cPost:f0cd7150-7b62-4e50-bbba-1f0f139dd686">Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously) : I think a lot of it also could be, they're just scared. It's not as though Voldemort is a nice guy. If something goes wrong, he has no qualms about killing his own people left and right. Draco screwed up, so Lucius is worried it's going to come back on him.
    Posted by cupcakesfrosting[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I was adding on, not replacing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-fans-movie-questions-spoilers-obviously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:49ee8d11-d5af-4e0a-a70e-523aebc6196cPost:5e381c2f-c5bd-4de9-a0cd-88ddcb6707eb">Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously) : Is this something that comes out later, or are people just supposed to know that Snape betrayed them? I've heard from others that he did so, but I wasn't sure if it was revealed later or not. You'd think someone would have seen Snape flying around trying to kill them.

The whole Snape thing will be dealt with in the next one. It'll make more sense then. At this point, since Harry watched him kill Dumbledore, they all think he's an a-hole.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-fans-movie-questions-spoilers-obviously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:49ee8d11-d5af-4e0a-a70e-523aebc6196cPost:c89e0dfa-bd84-4d46-a923-e1d2116001a8">Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously) : Ohhhh ya, thats right!
    Posted by ReneeJacob[/QUOTE]

Not quite - in the book they actually move Harry just before he turns 17, breaking the trace and leaving him free to do magic.  It was timed in such away that the Dursleys would be safely hidden somewhere and (hopefully) Harry would be safe at the Burrow before the trace broke.  Once the trace is broken - the protection that Harry's mother provided breaks also and leaves the house/family vulnerable.

I don't remember who exactly they said betrayed them - but it was a combo of prearranged betrayal by some folks (don't want to give away who, should be in part 2) and Mundungus disapparating.

Lucious Malfoy is so scared because his family (besides Draco's fumbling of killing Dumbledore) has screwed up many times and has been on Voldemort's sh!t list since Order of the Phoenix.  Lucious also spent time in Azkaban which also doesn't do anyone any good for their mental/physical health.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-fans-movie-questions-spoilers-obviously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:49ee8d11-d5af-4e0a-a70e-523aebc6196cPost:5e381c2f-c5bd-4de9-a0cd-88ddcb6707eb">Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously) : Is this something that comes out later, or are people just supposed to know that Snape betrayed them? I've heard from others that he did so, but I wasn't sure if it was revealed later or not. You'd think someone would have seen Snape flying around trying to kill them.

<div>
    </div><div>hmm sorry if i gave it away. It is later in the book. Whether or not they will explain it I dont know.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>I feel like they failed to explain a lot. Were you guys wondering why the bad guys kept finding them?</div>

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Ooh! New question. Why does Hermione do that obliviate spell? to erase herself from her parents' memory? What does this achieve? I didn't udnerstand why she couldn't just lie and tell them she was going back to Hogwarts or something.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-fans-movie-questions-spoilers-obviously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:49ee8d11-d5af-4e0a-a70e-523aebc6196cPost:40b7d0e6-e523-4306-ac14-f650d4aa9806">Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously) : hmm sorry if i gave it away. It is later in the book. Whether or not they will explain it I dont know. I feel like they failed to explain a lot. Were you guys wondering why the bad guys kept finding them?
    Posted by Starmusica[/QUOTE]

I figured the snatchers caught them the last time because she left behind her scarf.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-fans-movie-questions-spoilers-obviously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:49ee8d11-d5af-4e0a-a70e-523aebc6196cPost:b7ef7ed1-d3df-4407-b31d-806cd9cbb50e">Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ooh! New question. Why does Hermione do that obliviate spell? to erase herself from her parents' memory? What does this achieve? I didn't udnerstand why she couldn't just lie and tell them she was going back to Hogwarts or something.

its to protect them. I think she uses a different charm in the book though. She doesn't erase- she alters. Either way- its to ensure that they know nothing. If they are captured- there is nothing for them to hold back. In the book she sends them away with altered memories so they cannot be found.

my book shelf:
  • Because if she died, they'd remember her.
  • I just re-read the book before the movie came out and I still missed the whole confunding mundungus part to do the 7 Harry's thing so he could tell voldemort the right date but still protect Harry. crazy good observation, Star!
  • Because I reread the book shortly before the movie; I was pretty aware of what was or wasn't clear.

I don't think they ever explained the Taboo on Voldemort's name - which is how they found them in the book.  In the movie they just sort of came upon them by accident when heading to a new location.

• Can someone please either confirm or deny that I swear I saw Madeye flying by himself when he passed up Harry and Hagrid, but later they say Mundungus disapperated and left him vulnerable as if they were on the same broom. I don't remember how they did this in the book.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • They were on a broom together in the book, but yeah, it totally looked like Madeye was alone when they passed Harry & Hagrid in the movie.

• I just figured that meant Mandungus had just disapperated off the broom (or whatever Mad-Eye was riding) right before Harry saw him. That could be totally wrong, though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-fans-movie-questions-spoilers-obviously?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:49ee8d11-d5af-4e0a-a70e-523aebc6196cPost:afe27736-a050-42e4-b45b-7028d987db0f">Re: Harry Potter fans? I have movie questions (spoilers, obviously)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can someone please either confirm or deny that I swear I saw Madeye flying by himself when he passed up Harry and Hagrid, but later they say Mundungus disapperated and left him vulnerable as if they were on the same broom. I don't remember how they did this in the book.
    Posted by Y I Oughta[/QUOTE]

In the book, Mundungus disapparates as soon as the Death Eaters show up, so that's what leaves Mad-Eye vulnerable. Mundungus was one of the Harry Potters, and he was flying with Mad-Eye. In the book, Mad-Eye tells him that he wants Mundungus with him because he "needs to be watched" (or something to that effect - those aren't the exact words).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards