Snarky Brides
Options

Extreme Couponing

I'm watching this show on TLC. This lady just bought $1100 in groceries for like $50, but its all processed crap. Like 100 boxes of pasta and gatorade bottles. Then she hoards it at her house. Her H is not happy about how much stuff they have because she keeps buying for the thrill of getting a deal.

I love to use coupons, but I find that there aren't coupons for most things we buy (fruit, veggies, meat and dry beans and rice). All the coupons are for the processed foods. 

Any thoughts? DO you use coupons? How far would you go to get a deal? 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Extreme Couponing

• Options
    I use coupons everywhere, for everything.  But I agree, there aren't coupons on fresh fruits and veggies, which makes it harder to "score a deal" in that regard.  Other than that, I will use coupons everywhere I can.
  • Options

I don't use them as much as I should. I usually make my list and am pretty brand loyal so it's rare that I actually have / find a coupon for what I actually need at the store. I find that buying things just because I have a coupon is an enormous waste of money for me.

However, I won't do any clothes shopping with out some kind of coupon in hand.

• Options
    I never use an excessive amount. I remember being a cashier and having to process all that bullsh*t, and I'd never do that to someone. 
  • Options
    I don't use them in the grocery store but I do use them online. I use retailmenot.com to find deals for random websites. I also deal shop for most things I buy beyond the usual household items. If it's a big purchase I make sure I get the best deal.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This next lady is dumpster diving in the newspaper bin to get more coupons. She spends many hours a day organizing the coupons. AND her garage is already stocked with a years worth of food.

When I was right out of school and lived in houston, my roomie and I would get the sunday paper and the wednesday ads and hit all 3 grocery stores near us to get the best deal. But now I don't find as many that I can use. However, I use Groupon ALL the time. 
  • Options
    Coupon hoarders and sweepstakes junkies scare me. They crazy.
  • Options
    Yes, expecially when you have a year's worth of food and still go to the store 3x a week and make your kid dumpter dive with you.
  • Options
    That's all kinds of freakiness.I saw the previews for this show on  GMA this morning thought those people were nuts. I generally only use coupons when they are convenient or if they are from Macys. By convenient, I mean the grocery store taped them to the item I already intended to buy.
  • Options
    THis next lady hasn't paid for toothpaste, deodorant or toothbrushes for 32 years. She walks 2 hours a day picking up coupons, but at least she's getting exercise. 
  • Options
    I'm big on coupons for restaurants and I skim through the mail for grocery store coupons but I only use them for things I was going to buy anyway. I'm not such a crazy couponer that I'm like "YES! Buy 4 boxes of Gushers, get 1 FREE! I'm there!!!" when I know darn well I'm not going to eat 5 boxes worth of Gushers. 

But I also shop at the Dollar Tree fairly often so you know I love my deals. 
  • Options
    Yeah, that's beyond just using coupons.  That's just another form of hoarding.  Weird. Plus she's spending more since she's buying so much food, chances are they won't use all of it (even if it is dry goods).
  • Options
    I love when Dollar Tree has overstock of name brands. 
  • Options

Have they said if any of these people have actual jobs? How do they have the time to clip all of these coupons and still make money?

• Options
    Miss roach, you should add a siggy
  • Options
    I use coupons online all the time ... but I rarely use them in actual stores. I know when you do the math, saving $0.50 here and there really adds up ... but I'm really just too lazy to actively seek out coupons.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_extreme-couponing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4b2f26e2-a5a1-4a28-ab80-5cf2fe066a4aPost:8b4b320f-3c82-455f-8408-9126983a19e4">Re: Extreme Couponing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have they said if any of these people have actual jobs? How do they have the time to clip all of these coupons and still make money?
    Posted by nroach78[/QUOTE]

<div>No. One is a SAHM and the other is a retired nurse.</div>
  • Options

And they are both full time crazy.

• Options
    agreed CEW
  • Options
    This show is nuts.

I dont use coupons.  Sometimes I cut them out, but then i forget i have them.

I am a coupon fail.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    But it is awesome that this guy donates the extra free stuff to his church.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    Miss roach, you should add a siggy

done and done.
    that makes sense...sahm. the only way you'd have time, even so...
  • Options
    Love it!

Yes, Blue, I'm glad he donates things. That's pretty awesome. It makes me wonder why food pantries and shelters don't hire someone to do this full time. 
  • Options
    Ok, this next lady is addicted to sleeping with her hair dryer. FFS. Since when has TLC gotten so Jerry Springer  weird with their topics? 
  • Options
    One of my friends became a super coupon clipper when she was a military sahw. She would regularly purchase $300 worth of groceries for $5. I just don't have that level of time or commitment!

And like Any, I've done the cashiering bit and hated dealing with coupons. I also hate getting stuck line behind a crazy coupon person because it takes so long to process them (and then they inevitably write a check).
  • Options
    Are you guys watching the lady now who is addicted to eating toilet paper? She eats half a roll a day.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_extreme-couponing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4b2f26e2-a5a1-4a28-ab80-5cf2fe066a4aPost:46df5931-1375-4593-9441-2e012abbe861">Re: Extreme Couponing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you guys watching the lady now who is addicted to eating toilet paper? She eats half a roll a day.
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]
    That's just bad for you..
  • Options
    It is estimated she has eaten 23,000 pounds of tp in 21 years.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_extreme-couponing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4b2f26e2-a5a1-4a28-ab80-5cf2fe066a4aPost:46b087de-2ab9-42cd-83be-1fd21187bad7">Re: Extreme Couponing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Extreme Couponing : That's just bad for you..
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

Maybe she gets the kind that has extra fiber. :)
  • Options
    "There's no escaping toilet paper".

Best.Line. Ever.
  • Options
    I wish I could get a better deal out of coupons. But the most money I spend at the grocery store is on veggies and fruits. We don't buy processed stuff (unless we're splurging on a bag of chips or something), so the coupons don't really do me any good.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards