Snarky Brides

Fitness Pal Question

How accurate do you feel this program is calorie wise? Just starting using it today to lose a few pounds. It's pretty cool, like my own personal RD.

Re: Fitness Pal Question

• Do you mean for calorie recommendations?  Or for accuracy of the info in the food database? 

Calorie recommendations are low, IMO.  But I think the database is pretty accurate.  I never trust the estimations for calories burned.  I know that even my HRM isn't totally accurate.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fitness-pal-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4c27ee4e-59e1-4605-9f5d-6d8cd2ba1a48Post:fc89f6fa-6e70-486b-a3b0-11698ae01fdb">Fitness Pal Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]How accurate do you feel this program is calorie wise? Just starting using it today to lose a few pounds. It's pretty cool, like my own personal RD.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

<div>I didn't find it very accurate all the time when factoring in extra calories that need to be consumed due to exercise.  It often puts people below the 1200 cal level if a big exerciser.</div><div>
    </div><div>I find SparkPeople much more accurate although they both have failings.</div>
  • It put me at 1370/day but I am doing TapOut XP and (about 45 min a day) and maybe running. You know I can never figure out how much I need to eat to do these programs lol 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fitness-pal-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4c27ee4e-59e1-4605-9f5d-6d8cd2ba1a48Post:d4b9416b-946a-4237-83bd-2c54d4ebf6d5">Re: Fitness Pal Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you mean for calorie recommendations?  Or for accuracy of the info in the food database?  Calorie recommendations are low, IMO.  But I think the database is pretty accurate.  I never trust the estimations for calories burned.  I know that even my HRM isn't totally accurate.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]
    Kcals JK
  • I found I did better if I ate a little more calories than their recommendation.  I found their daily recommendations to be really low.  I tended not to lose anything when I went with their recommendation, and would actually lose slowly if I upped it by 150-200 calories per day.
      As for the calories in the foods I was eating, most of the stuff in their databases matched the packaging on what I was eating (yogurt, bread, etc) exactly so I think that part of it is fairly accurate.  
  • ricks- I am on there if you want a MFP buddy! :)

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • I like using it, but it definitely overestimates how many calories you burn thru exercise. I take what my fitbit tells me for calorie burn, or if I don't have another option I'll take what the equipment at the gym tells me (it's always lower than what MFP says).
  • I like it.  I mainly use it to track food intake, rather than cal burned.  When I do enter calories burned, I use the tally from the machine rather than their input.  i've honestly never compared to see the difference. 

@entropicbeauty - I just heard about the fitbits and I'm debating getting one. Do you love yours?  Is it really worth the $$?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards