Snarky Brides

What are you reading?

We have not done one of these in awhile.

I just finished The Handmaids Tale and I wasnt a huge fan.  The story was ok, but the writing style irked me.

I just started Midwives.  Im only about 20 pages in, but it looks like its going to be good.  Its about a midwife in VT whos patient had a stroke giving birth and she thought she was dead so she did a C-section to save the baby.  They are saying she killed the mom.
045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
BabyFruit Ticker
DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!

Re: What are you reading?

• I just barely started Shadow of Night, the 2nd in the All Souls Trilogy.  Before this, I read State of Wonder by Ann Patchett, which I loved.  A medical researcher goes to the Amazon to try and found out how her coworker died there.  He had been sent to get the status on fertility research being done on a tribe where the women continued to have children into the 70's. 
  • Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (I'm, like, 15 years late!)

• Blue, that second book sounds interesting.  I just finished reading the new Emily Giffin book, "Where We Belong," which was a good fast read.  I usually like her books.

I also have Cokie Roberts' "Ladies of Liberty" to finish reading.  I read that on the train home when I'm not about to pass out from being so tired.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Button- I read (well audio cd in my car) 3 of her books in the last month.  Baby Proof, Love the One Youre With, and Heart of the Matter.

I wish I liked her stuff better or that she had stronger female characters.  I cant relate to them. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just finished the Wool series.  Dystopian, of course.  That's all I seem to be interested in this year.  It was one of the better dystopian series that I have read.  Oh, and I just finished The Kill Order, which is the prequel to the Maze Runner series.  I actually really enjoyed it, but I didn't quite get the end.  They were trying to wrap it into the beginning of The Maze Runner, but it didn't seem to fit.
  • I'm reading Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, per your review. I just finished Walk the Red Road, which I loved.

I was going to look into Handmaids Tale (per you again ;), but I'll pass if you didnt like the writing style. My next book is the sequel to The Hangmans Daughter by  Oliver Pötzsch, called The Dark Monk.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • KD- the writing style really turned me off.  She doesnt use quotations so you get confused about if someone is really talking or not.

Also, she would tell a page long story and then be all "thats actually not what happened, just kidding, this is what happened"
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-are-you-reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e8ff05c-55cd-4aea-bb0e-9bbb9decd375Post:b05c2600-9ffb-4686-bcb2-d612e1156625">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]KD- the writing style really turned me off.  She doesnt use quotations so you get confused about if someone is really talking or not. Also, she would tell a page long story and then be all "thats actually not what happened, just kidding, this is what happened"
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll pass.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-are-you-reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e8ff05c-55cd-4aea-bb0e-9bbb9decd375Post:013df0b7-f18e-4fa4-a817-b7d703ad5e4f">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm reading Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, per your review.
    Posted by kd.joseph[/QUOTE]

How is it?  I"ve been so tempted to buy it.
  •              Fiction- Graceling by Kristin Cashore. It's a YA fantasy , not dystopic and I like it a lot.
                Non-fiction-Hitlerland by Andrew Nagorski. It's the thoughts and stories of various Americans who watched Hitler rise to power in Germany during the 20s and 30s.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-are-you-reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e8ff05c-55cd-4aea-bb0e-9bbb9decd375Post:e460f767-e96f-43ad-8d93-e5d7d458fb77">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading? : How is it?  I"ve been so tempted to buy it.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

I loved it.  Like really loved it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just finished the 3rd book in the Wideacre trilogy by Phillipa Gregory.  "Meridon"  I really enjoyed that series.

I'm also finishing up "Let's Pretend this Never Happened," which is a pretty funny read. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-are-you-reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e8ff05c-55cd-4aea-bb0e-9bbb9decd375Post:ab557f4d-71be-4b10-86d2-826d2707e120">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading? : I loved it.  Like really loved it.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Oh man.  I have no restraint and will probably stop at Barnes and Noble to buy it tonight.
  • I'm reading The House at Riverton by Kate Morton. So far so good. I finished her other book The Forgotten Garden a few weeks ago and LOVED it. One of the best books I've read. 

I also have Mrs. Kennedy and Me by Clint Hill. I read the first few pages, and it's a really easy read. I think it'll be interesting. My grandpa read it and loaned it to me. 
  • Blue, I hated Baby Proof and Heart of the Matter.  I was so disappointed with Heart of the Matter.

I read a biography of Anne Morrow Lindbergh last month that was really good, too.  And I thought What Alice Forgot was an interesting quick read.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-are-you-reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e8ff05c-55cd-4aea-bb0e-9bbb9decd375Post:e460f767-e96f-43ad-8d93-e5d7d458fb77">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading? : How is it?  I"ve been so tempted to buy it.

I'm really enjoying it, and it's a really fast read. Easy to get into, I love it when a book hooks me right off the bat. KWIM?
  • Leisel, I got the Mrs Kennedy and Me book for my birthday from FMIL.  I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-are-you-reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e8ff05c-55cd-4aea-bb0e-9bbb9decd375Post:56e6346b-08fa-4459-89f5-19a471808c70">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading? : Oh man.  I have no restraint and will probably stop at Barnes and Noble to buy it tonight.

Get a Kindle, you'd have it in 60 seconds ;)
  • Blue, I read A Handmaid's Tale a while ago & while I liked the storyline, I agree with you about the writing, the quotations especially. 

I just started Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. My aunt and a couple friends have been raving over it so I dowloaded it the other day. Has anyone read/heard of it?

• AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-are-you-reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e8ff05c-55cd-4aea-bb0e-9bbb9decd375Post:47063368-9ab3-4d03-8246-fe9b8b5b043d">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading? : I'm really enjoying it, and it's a really fast read. Easy to get into, I love it when a book hooks me right off the bat. KWIM?
    Posted by kd.joseph[/QUOTE]

YES.  I've actually had a really hard time finishing books recently because they haven't hooked me.  Angela's Ashes, At Home (Bill Bryson), Elizabeth the Queen, and The Emporer of Lies have all left me so dissappointed and somewhat bored.  I'll still read them, but I want something good, fast, and interesting that makes me want to read past 10pm.

EDIT: I'm very anti-Kindle :-)
  • celticmysscelticmyss member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I'm reading Gone Girl and I am loving it. It's about a wife who goes missing and it's mainly told from her husband's perspective and her diaries. As the husband is recounting all the aftermath it never (so far at least) clarifies if he did it or not but you can see how it could go either way. 

I read Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and was pretty meh about it. The first half I enjoyed and then I was just tired of it. No good reason, I just couldn't wait for it to be over. 

I read Midwives ages ago and loved it. 
  • Hi!  I haven't read anything great in a while.  I did read Shadow of Night when it came out (on my b-day) and loved it.  I want to read Midwives and Handmaiden's Tale, they're on my list.  Liesel - I too loved The Forgotten Garden.  I picked it up on our honeymoon in Italy (there were only so many books in English to choose from LOL) and finished it before I got home (lots of plane time).  I didn't know she had a new book out.  I'll have to add that one to my list too.  I've been reading a lot of easy free Kindle downloads, but none of them have really peaked my interest, other than "meh".  I've started and not finished like 3 or 4 books this year cause they didn't draw me in at all.
  • ^^ I just finished Gone Girl and I loved it. I'm about to start Sharp Objects by the same author
    Anniversary
  • I am reading "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"- it's a true story about a black woman whose cervical cancer cells were scraped and donated to science without her knowledge. Hre cells were the first cell base to ever continually reproduce and they've been used in every major modern advance in medicine ever since. Her family has never seen a dime and she died from her cancer. So far it is REALLY good.

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Loopy, I think she has a few that came out before The Forgotten Garden, I just had never heard of her until that book. I like her writing style a lot. 
  • I don't know why but I loved Abraham Lincoln the Vampire Hunter!
    and I just read the Life before her eyes and Escape. Both pretty good.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Star - that book was interesting too.  I read it this spring.  My mom recommended it after her book club read it.
  • Meegles4Meegles4 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited August 2012
    I read Gone Girl, per Rach's recommendation (and then, shortly after, everyone else's recommendation). I liked it, but thought it could have been SO much better. I felt like she glossed over a lot of the really suspenseful stuff that she could've dragged out for even more suspense.

I'm reading The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton, but haven't gotten very far.

ETA: I read The Handmaid's Tale in high school and remember loving it. I'd like to read it again, but I'm afraid I'll hate it. That happened with Lolita -- read in college and loved, tried reading a couple years ago and couldn't even finish it. :-(
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I am just wrapping up The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. I really enjoyed it, and am still really enjoying it, but I haven't had much reading time lately so I have been struggling through this last one. It's fantasy, about assassins, and a young boy who apprentices as an assassin. A little like Game of Thrones, but much more to the point, and I liked the characters better.

Next up is Gone Girl, and then perhaps the Mortal Instruments series. My reading has been kind of all over the place lately.
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-are-you-reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:4e8ff05c-55cd-4aea-bb0e-9bbb9decd375Post:8466de7f-e418-45f8-877d-e1fb85b0beb5">Re: What are you reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are you reading? : YES.  I've actually had a really hard time finishing books recently because they haven't hooked me.  Angela's Ashes, At Home (Bill Bryson), Elizabeth the Queen, and The Emporer of Lies have all left me so dissappointed and somewhat bored.  I'll still read them, but I want something good, fast, and interesting that makes me want to read past 10pm. <strong>EDIT: I'm very anti-Kindle :-)
    </strong>Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

My H and I used to be that way as well. And we still LOVE books. But the Kindle is so easy to use.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards