Snarky Brides
Options

Would you do this?

I get to my classroom early so I can leisurely get organized.  I then read for a few minutes.  It's either really early or barely on time because of buses, so I choose early.  I'm an anal retentive crazy person.

Anyway, this girl comes in and then proceeds to say she's leaving and isn't taking he backpack with her "I'll be back in about 10 minutes."  Is she assuming that I will protect her backpack?  What if someone comes in to steal it?  I have no incentive to protect her backpack.  I don't even know her name.  Is this a common courtesy I don't know about? 

This may be a post and run as class begins in  20 minutes.  
my read shelf:
Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale

Re: Would you do this?

• Options
    She's not too smart, I wouldn't trust my backpack with a stranger.
  • Options
    That's bizarre. Maybe she just said it so that you wouldn't think she was dropping off a bomb or something.

I was crazy too. I would get to class either 30 minutes ahead of time or 60 depending on bus schedules. I figured I could always use the time to catch up on reading or start on the next chapter.
  • Options
    Sounds like by telling you she'll be back in 10 mins that she's assuming that you'll look after the backpack.  I'd tell her that just like in the airports - unattended luggage will be reported ;)  Seriously, I don't feel you are under any obligation to babysit it.
  • Options
    I kind of feel like I should go through it, just to teach her a lesson about how people are psychopaths.  I would, however, have to be the psychopath myself, so I am refraining.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    She is being rude and foolish to ask a stranger to watch her stuff so she can run off unburdened. That said, I would probably keep an eye on it as long as I'm in the room out of common courtesy. As in, if I see someone else coming up to mess with her stuff, I'd say something like, "I think she's coming right back." But if I had to step out for something, then it's no longer my problem.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    Weeeeiiiird
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't think that's crazy so much as it is stupid. I saw that a lot in high school and college. People would come in a bit early, put their stuff down and go to use the bathroom or grab a snack at the vending machine. For some reason, they develop a sense of security because they think, "I doubt this person is going to steal my stuff".

Or maybe she just has nothing that she considers to be of value in there and so it doesn't matter to her if your were some psychotic kleptomaniac.

The world is a very strange place. No actually, humans are a very strange race.
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    Describing backsides sounds like a fun hobby.  High, firm, bouncy.  So many good adjectives.
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-this-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:58167034-d40f-4bee-8598-e43ae0e6a001Post:0883ff6b-bdc2-4330-8710-d8d9d426fc55">Re: Would you do this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I see this happen all the time. Like at the library. "Hey, can you watch my stuff?" I'll do it for other people (um, to the best of my ability?) but that's rather trusting. Unless they think that by looking you in the eye it makes you less likely to steal from them. Or they trust other people will be around and keep you accountable (like at the library).<strong> I've often wondered what would happen if I said no. Or if they came back and me and their stuff was gone</strong>.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

You told me to watch it, I watched it while a guy in a grey hoodie ran off with it. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-this-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:58167034-d40f-4bee-8598-e43ae0e6a001Post:e36ce7f6-6081-43b9-a41d-fa45ad7de19f">Re: Would you do this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you do this? : Oh, it's behind you? What a PITA. Never mind then. If you hear someone running off with her bag, <strong>try to get a description of their back side. ;)</strong>
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

Tell them the person had Kim Kardashian's ass and Justin Biebers haircut.
  • Options
    I would hide it on principle.
  • Options
    yeah that's just stupid to assume someone you know will watch your stuff. If you were friends, okay, but just a random classmate? I wouldn't stop anyone from stealing it, not my responsibility. It's a backpack. Take it with you.

I always went to class early too. I hate being rushed, so I'd rather be there really early then running to be on time.
  • Options
    Also, two possible defenses:

1.  The one armed man took it (if she doesn't see you hiding it).

2.  The Devil made you do it (if she does catch you hiding it).
  • Options
    Take all of her pens, and pencils.  That way she's unprepared for class...

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    I'd prob. watch it because that's how I am but that is not your job and she should not assume you would take care of her stuff.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-this-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:58167034-d40f-4bee-8598-e43ae0e6a001Post:022801d6-7b9a-44a5-9eb7-8452ec578b1d">Re: Would you do this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you do this? : Tell them the person had Kim Kardashian's ass and Justin Biebers haircut.
    Posted by Shaye526[/QUOTE]

That's quite a rear view.
  • Options
    See, I went to college on a campus where you could leave your backpack on the front steps of the main building, walk to the post office, come back 1/2 hour later, and it would  still be there.
    Our exams were all self-scheduled, and you took what you want during one of two exam periods of each day during exams. Need more time to study for psych stats? Put it off for the last day. Walk in with some pencils/pens, they hand you an envelope, you sign it out, find a room in the main building, take the exam, then turn it in by the time stated and sign the Honor Code.

It is very hard for me to not trust my bags in the airport. I have to consciously take them with me.  But, the one lady who asked me to watch her bag in the airport? No effing way.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-this-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:58167034-d40f-4bee-8598-e43ae0e6a001Post:18ebfed2-1a1a-4af3-b879-92c8d2fb4a48">Re: Would you do this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you do this? : That's quite a rear view.
    Posted by TheCranberry[/QUOTE]

It sure is! They'd never find that bookbag thief!!
  • Options
    I had a guy do this today with his laptop and ipod.  I don't understand it.  Its not like he knows me.  People are so silly.

How are classes going now? 
  • Options
    Maybe it's a MN-nice thing, but people do that all the time on campus.  I've done it... just a "hey, do you mind watching this for me quick?" to the stranger sitting next to me.  Granted, it's more to save my seat with a pile of books; I usually take my purse with me still.

• Options
    Well, classes are going okay.  I'm spending lots of time on homework, but at least I'm doing well on graded content so far.  Although my reading list isn't looking good.  These are all different chapters of content:
    C++ 2
    C++ 3
    C++ 4
    C++5
    C++6
    HI 4
    HI 21
    HI 2
    IOM 4
    Python 7
    Python 4
    my read shelf:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards