Snarky Brides
Options

6 days before the wedding and the Groom has black eye

At the second half of his b-party on Saturday night one of Dan's oldest friends came into our house and punched Dan in the face twice.  His cheek is swollen and he's got a black eye.
Please advise.  I'm at a total loss of what to do, on all issues.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 6 days before the wedding and the Groom has black eye

• Options
    Why'd he throw a punch!?  Douche lord.

I dunno, have you tried a raw steak? 

He will probably still have a little bruising or discoloration this weekend so - I hate to say it since he may not like this idea - bust out some good concealer.
    panther
  • Options
    Ice will help swelling go down.  Is the zygomatic broken?
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    What?  That's crazy.

Ice then heat and concealer is all I know.  Maybe alert your photog that you'd like that photoshopped out. 
  • Options
    Um, maybe press charges? 

Ice, ibuprofen, and green tinted makeup can work wonders. Hopefully the swelling goes down by this weekend. Avoid foods that can cause inflammation like tomatoes and eggplants. 

I had a large bruise on my forehead for my first date with FI. He didn't notice ;)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    omg!! WHY would a friend DO THAT?! Get him on IB Profin it has an anti inflamatory, then take him to a make up counter to get cover up!

ugh I would kill that friend.
  • Options
    why did he punch him?
  • Options
    WTH?  Why did he punch Dan?  That's crazy.  Ditto ice, ubuprofen, and Eucerin redness relief (has a greenish tint that offsets redness in the skin).
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Aww that sucks. Definitely icing and heating the area will help. Also, concealer. He might not like the idea, but it's better than having an obvious black eye on the wedding day. Like a PP mentioned, the photog could probably photoshop the pics at least.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_6-days-before-wedding-groom-black-eye?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5f572866-2aca-4c34-aae8-d66fe86c2346Post:97bb0b57-a49a-4796-8d6d-7ac6fc45fe01">Re: 6 days before the wedding and the Groom has black eye</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ice pack for 1/3 of every hour- but if that was Saturday, the damage has likely already been done. Other suggestion would be to take Aceteminophen for pain/swelling- as an analgesic it will constrict blood vessels, and decrease the size of the bruise. (In comparison to aspirin, which will thin the blood & make the bruise larger). <strong>Oh, and avoid using a steak! That's just a bacteria laden bad idea. If you want it to form to the shape of his face, use a bag of frozen peas wrapped in cloth, but it's just never a good idea to put raw meat on your face.</strong>
    Posted by mrs.jesse[/QUOTE]

Haha - make sure you read that Sadie!  Don't listen to me about the raw meat thing :)

But definitely get some good concealer - hopefully something that's not too cakey.  Other people have suggested ibuprofen and that should help the swelling go down a bit.

I would be so sad if one of Ben's friends popped him like that.  Like seriously what kind of friend does that!? 
    panther
  • Options
    I got a drunken convuluted version of the story, but this is what I think happened:

The bparty was at a local bar from 6pm until closing.  After that, they were going to a restaurant/strip club (I heard both things, not sure which, if either, is correct).  My best friend's BF (Jeff) was driving, and his car was full so one of the groomsmen (Scott) and this other friend (Hugh) took a separate car. 
    When Jeff and the guys got to the restaurant/strip club, it was packed and they decided not to go in.  Dan offered to just have everyone back to our house; we had lots of food from the first half of my b-party left over and we had stocked the liquor cabinet for the night.  Jeff's car left and they didn't immediately call Scott to tell him the plan changed, but someone eventually did get in touch with them and left them know to come to our house.
    By the time the limo dropped my friends and me off, the guys in Jeff's car were at my house and we were all having fun.  I was in our office with my best friend and Jeff putting the pictures from my party on my laptop when I heard banging and yelling and fight noises.  I went into the dining room and saw Dan and Hugh hitting each other and basically in headlocks.
    One of our other groomsmen, Alan is built like a brick shithouse, (over 6'3" and really broad shoulders), he got in the middle, then Jeff came running (he's a police officer) and he got Hugh's arms restrained behind his back.  Dan was screaming and freaking out and went into our bedroom. 
    The whole fight lasted no more than 45 seconds by the time we got them separated, but Hugh managed to get two good punches in.  He was bleeding all over the floor, which Alan cleaned up, and I picked up a big clump of Hugh's hair. 

So that was the fight.  Scott and Hugh felt like they got ditched, even though they got a phone call letting them know where everyone was. 
    Dan's not against wearing some cover-up and one of my besties is a makeup artist and she offered to show him what to do. 
    What an effing night.
  • Options
    I love that you used the words "brick shithouse."  I think that phrase is just really funny.

Epic night, indeed - but jeez.  Sometimes boys get drunk and aggressive and act like children.  Too bad he had to get a shiner out of the whole deal.  I hope the guy who punched him at least apologized.
    panther
  • Options
    HAHAHAHA  an apology?  Nah, that's too close to mature, grown up behavior.  He'll probably show up to the wedding on Sunday and say "Hey Danno, what the hell happened to your eye?"  Diick head.

There are few phrases that describe Alan's build better then brick shithouse lol.  He's a good guy, I like him. 
  • Options
    Yeah well, that's just too bad then.  Ben has had a few friends over the years that I didn't get along with but they at least were able to apologize for things.  Guy needs to grow up.
    panther
  • Options
    lol... also loving the brick shithouse description...

but really- he punched your FI because he got left behind? Honestly... IMO I would just tell him not to come to the wedding and have him booted if he did... thats just MO tho.

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_6-days-before-wedding-groom-black-eye?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5f572866-2aca-4c34-aae8-d66fe86c2346Post:4086c293-70e0-4037-85e3-5fcc09fd2dfe">Re: 6 days before the wedding and the Groom has black eye</a>:
    [QUOTE]HAHAHAHA  an apology?  Nah, that's too close to mature, grown up behavior.  <strong>He'll probably show up to the wedding on Sunday and say "Hey Danno, what the hell happened to your eye?"</strong>  Diick head. There are few phrases that describe Alan's build better then brick shithouse lol.  He's a good guy, I like him. 
    Posted by 526SadieSadie[/QUOTE]

Well the rule number one in Fight Club is that you don't talk about Fight Club.   : )

That's a crazy story Sadie. I'm pretty sure if that happened to my FI, in my home, then his friend might have had a black eye himself. Courtesy of moi.
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    This is seriously the best non-cakey concealer i have ever used. If your MUA friend doesn't have other suggestions, you should go over to Sephora and pick up a tube. It's awesome.
    http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P231113&categoryId=B70
  • Options
    I can't picture any of FI's friends punching him. In fact, I'd be surprised if FI has ever been punched in the face. I really just can't picture anyone getting that mad at him. Or him hanging out with people who would do that. Don't get me wrong, some of his friends are assholes, but not the drunken violent kind.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Whoa that's intense. I certainly hope Dan doesn't plan on inviting Hugh to hang out with them ever again. That's a friendship-ending move to me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_6-days-before-wedding-groom-black-eye?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5f572866-2aca-4c34-aae8-d66fe86c2346Post:7fd912fa-a9e9-4424-9530-00e6b01c45c6">Re: 6 days before the wedding and the Groom has black eye</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't picture any of FI's friends punching him. In fact, I'd be surprised if FI has ever been punched in the face. I really just can't picture anyone getting that mad at him. Or him hanging out with people who would do that. Don't get me wrong, some of his friends are assholes, but not the drunken violent kind.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Uh...yeah.  This.  I really can't imagine dating anyone or hanging out with anyone who got in fistfights.  Angry people scare me and it is a huge turnoff.  I refuse to hang out with people with really bad tempers.

</div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Firstly, I hope that this advice is reaching you too late, and I hope the swelling has already gone down. If not, I'm sure hes been icing, but make sure he is taking Acetaminophen, not Aspirin, as you dont want to thin the blood, as it causes a risk of clotting. Also, see if a doctor will prescribe an NSAID anti-inflammatory.

If it is really discolored, and you can get him to agree to it, see if you can find an airbrush makeup artist. Aestheticians can use airbrushes for many purposes, from covering unwanted tattoos or blemishes to evening out skin tone. The good thing about airbrushing is that it looks extremely natural, an you can get extremely thorough coverage without your groom feeling like he has more makeup on than you!

You will want to find a corrective concealer for underneath whatever type of skin-colored makeup you use. If the bruise is blueish-red, use a yellow concealer. If it is yellow-brown, use a mint green. While it seems kind of strange, it will neutralize the skin color before you try to blend the foundation in.

Best of luck to you, and I hope the day is joyous!

-Whitney
  • Options
    I got a black eye last Sunday night, and it's darn near gone (just barely yellow) today, so I hope your FI's is gone too!

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I've heard that eggs will take a bruise away.

Strange I know, but a woman I know told me about it.  

Apparently you hardboil an egg, and then while its still warm you rub it over the bruise to help it disappear.  I don't know how this works or if it does for sure, so you might want to google it for more details, but it's definitely worth a shot.  Good luck!

Worst-case I might buy makeup for him for the ceremony and pictures.  CoverFX has the best coverage I've come across and is used on burn victims to cover up scars.  A little pricey, but worth it for your wedding day.  You can get it at Sephora, or if you're in Canada, some Shoppers Drug Marts.
  • Options
    If your make-up artist friend hasn't already suggested it, try bare minerals or something similar.  It has amazing coverage and since it is a powder, it doesn't look lie you are wearing make up.  But he might want to skip the "mineral veil" which gives you that dewey look.  :-) 

Geez, just what you need right before the wedding!! I'm sure it will all be fine!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you have a Sephora's near your house go and buy Kat VonD's tatoo concealer kit- it will help cover up some of the bruising. I have used it as a make up artist before for photo shoots- just never on a man's face. I know men are funny about make up but it is worth a try. - It is pretty heavy based make up but  I have had sucess covering a shoulder to hip full back tatoo with it and you couldn't tell the model had a tatoo on film.- Good Luck!
  • Options
    you could try arnica in gel form so you could rub it on the bruised area; its a nartural herb remedy so i think you can probably get it in health food places etc? cleared a bruise on my arn (fridge door swung back and wacked me-saved only by my bingo wings) within 2 days
  • Options
    Bathe the eye frequently in Witch Hazel. I had a black eye the day before grad and it was gone by the next day.
  • Options

I swear by baby but cream it make bruise go away 2 -3 times faster .I some how manage to hurt myself everyday. and it always works for me. also alternate hot and cold on the area it it will also take time of the healing. if you do only cold it will make it last longer.

• Options
    you might try a tattoo cover-up kit, they work well for covering darker colors and keeping a natural look to the skin, if concealer doesn't work. Good luck!
  • Options
    Ah - that sucks. I was a boxer for 3 years so I have had a black eye or two in my time and the best thing I ever found was ice for the first two days and heat after that. Apply each for about 20 minutes at a time. The green tinted makeup helps and if it is really baggy/swelly preperation H - sounds gross but it helps firm the skin up so it doesn't look so swollen. Good luck!
    PS: I have never had a problem with putting a steak on a black eye - some say the properties of the meat (proteins and salts) help pull the bruise out. Do wash the steak in cold water and dry it with paper towels but as long as you keep your eye closed I've never seen a problem with it. Although I am sure that someone will say they knew someone who got a horrible infection from it.
  • Options
    Like others have said--for the swelling you'll want ice. I don't know if a little hemorrhoid cream would go amiss; that stuff will do wonders for under-eye puffiness, maybe it'll help with this kind as well.

For the bruises you'll want some colored concealer--yellow will neutralize the purple, since they're opposites on the color wheel, green will neutralize red, peach will neutralize blue, and vice versa. (If it's turned an awful yellow-green, a touch of light purple and a dab of warm but not too bright red should take care of it.) There are also various brands of tattoo cover, which will certainly cover up a bruise if they'll cover up a tattoo. Make sure to set it with some powder, whatever you choose, and a little blast of waterproofing spray will probably help it stay in place and avoid smudging (since guys are probably not as used to being gentle with their faces to protect makeup).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards