Snarky Brides
Options

Rant...craziness...don't know what to call it

I hear of all the post wedding blues and many women have one thing in common, they regret not spending enough time with their hubbies during the reception. I have a situation with a far cousin who likes my fiance and unfortunately is invited to my wedding. She has a child and he is very close with my fiance. Usually when they have gathering, the mother dumps the kid on my fiance's hands and he carries him around (child is 5 yrs old) like it is his child. I am afraid that this will happen during my wedding. The mother of the child has no consideration whatsoever for anyone so I am not expecting much from her. Anytime I bring up the conversation with my fiance, he gets offended. I am not trying to compete with a 5 yr old but I want to enjoy my wedding without having to worry about anyone's child and being able to dance with my then husband when I please. Thoughts?

Re: Rant...craziness...don't know what to call it

• Options
    will you have other children at the wedding?
  • Options

If this ends up happening, tell your new husband in no uncertain terms to put that kid down and get back to the other guests.  Then tell the kid (nicely but firmly) to go back and sit with his mom.

• Options
    I will have other children at the wedding and I even created some wedding activity books for them. My hope is that he will play with the other children (only 3) and as far as telling him to put the kid down I'm afraid it will ruin the moment but I see no other way to stop this situation if it arises.
  • Options
    I think she'll be entertained with the activity books and the other kids. well hopefully. Good Luck. Seriously though, you two willl be waaay too busy the day of the wedding to be carrying around a child all day. We have two kids and we didn't even have time to play or talk to our own. they played with the other kids and sat with Grandma's while we did our dances, toasts, and guest pictures.
  • Options
    Heading off the unlikely problem of your FI carrying around someone else's kid all day won't likely inoculate you against possibly having a difficult period of adjustment to your new married identity.
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
  • Options
    Heading off the unlikely problem of your FI carrying around someone else's child all day won't inoculate you against the possibility of a difficult period of adjustment to your new, married identity.
    "I wish yo azz all tha dopest up in yo' marriages"
  • Options
    unless you've been to another wedding where this cousin dumped her kid with your future-hubby then i wouldn't even worry about it.

most people wouldn't dump their kid on the relative who's wedding it is.
  • Options
    You -- and your Husband -- are Not on Babysitting duty that day.
    Enforce that rule, and let other family members know what's up.

FYI -- I had 12 kids ranging in ages from 18 months to 11 years old at my wedding. I bought a box of large foam dominoes and had a specific play corner for the kids within eyeshot of the parents to keep them occupied.  It was the best twenty dollars I could have spent for my reception. The kids had a means to playt, stayed in one spot, and the parents took turns checking in and could still enjoy themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards