Snarky Brides
Options

Rough diamond engagement rings

2»

Re: Rough diamond engagement rings

• Options
    If I were to get a diamond, which I won't, because I don't like the trade and what it's done to Africa (or some Americans, for that matter), that's what I'd get. Or one of the older antique cuts, like a rose cut or a mine cut or something without all of the ridiculous facets that are cut into diamonds now. I looked at a jeweler in LA who handsculpts rings and buys estate gems, and she had this gorgeous rose cut diamond engagement ring. But the rough diamonds are pretty, because that's what diamonds look like naturally!

But we're looking into ethical sapphires for my ring. I didn't want a ring, but he is very traditional, so we compromised. Yes, I'm slightly a hippie, but you have to feel good about what you're wearing forever. I didn't want to be wearing something that cost us a couple thou and some poor abused kid only got paid pennies for 12 hours a day of labor to dig it up.

*sigh* jewelry...
  • Options
    Girlie1030Girlie1030 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rough-diamond-engagement-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:68b44e34-f7d8-4248-ad10-c6afe9736b3cPost:fd349674-1249-4547-8895-59825845abfa">Re: Rough diamond engagement rings</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I were to get a diamond, which I won't, because I don't like the trade and what it's done to Africa (or some Americans, for that matter), that's what I'd get. Or one of the older antique cuts, like a rose cut or a mine cut or something without all of the ridiculous facets that are cut into diamonds now. I looked at a jeweler in LA who handsculpts rings and buys estate gems, and she had this gorgeous rose cut diamond engagement ring. But the rough diamonds are pretty, because that's what diamonds look like naturally! But we're looking into ethical sapphires for my ring. I didn't want a ring, but he is very traditional, so we compromised. Yes, I'm slightly a hippie, but you have to feel good about what you're wearing forever. I didn't want to be wearing something that cost us a couple thou and some poor abused kid only got paid pennies for 12 hours a day of labor to dig it up. *sigh* jewelry...
    Posted by runpipparun[/QUOTE]

I happen to love my ridiculously faceted ring.  Ooh sparkles! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rough-diamond-engagement-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:68b44e34-f7d8-4248-ad10-c6afe9736b3cPost:be00b010-c7a1-4524-ba7b-5903af6e918c">Re: Rough diamond engagement rings</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rough diamond engagement rings : I happen to love my ridiculously faceted ring.  Ooh sparkles! 
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

Yup.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I saw THESE on pinterest a while ago and thought they were super pretty. IMO rough diamonds work better when theyre in a necklace or earings or something. I just feel like they dont "flow" with a ring. Those all looked nice, but I can think of a lot of stones that would look nicer.
  • Options
    Nebb, I love those!
    imageVacation
  • Options
    Ooh nebb, I like that stuff

"Smash's balls are the biggest balls of them all." -AATB

• Options
    I like them but I like different unique things.  I wouldn't want it rough though.  It at least has to have a shiny surface like a tumbled rock.
  • Options
    I think it might be ok as a cocktail ring but I would never want one as my e-ring. 

Maybe I'm vain, but I like the sparklies :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rough-diamond-engagement-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:68b44e34-f7d8-4248-ad10-c6afe9736b3cPost:fd349674-1249-4547-8895-59825845abfa">Re: Rough diamond engagement rings</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I were to get a diamond, which I won't, because I don't like the trade and what it's done to Africa (or some Americans, for that matter), that's what I'd get. Or one of the older antique cuts, like a rose cut or a mine cut or something without all of the ridiculous facets that are cut into diamonds now. I looked at a jeweler in LA who handsculpts rings and buys estate gems, and she had this gorgeous rose cut diamond engagement ring. But the rough diamonds are pretty, because that's what diamonds look like naturally! But we're looking into ethical sapphires for my ring. I didn't want a ring, but he is very traditional, so we compromised. Yes, I'm slightly a hippie, but you have to feel good about what you're wearing forever. I didn't want to be wearing something that cost us a couple thou and some poor abused kid only got paid pennies for 12 hours a day of labor to dig it up. *sigh* jewelry...

<div>So... no, you woulnd't get one of the ones OP posted? Was that the jist of your patronizing spiel?</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    And to Boobs- this sounds like someone figure out a way to make a bunch of money off of stones that would otherwise be worthless. Genius marketing. (just like how Diamonds got their value in the first place.)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rough-diamond-engagement-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:68b44e34-f7d8-4248-ad10-c6afe9736b3cPost:823f84f6-267a-49e2-8047-765f1b387b46">Re: Rough diamond engagement rings</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rough diamond engagement rings : So... no, you woulnd't get one of the ones OP posted? Was that the jist of your patronizing spiel?
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

<div>Seems to me like you took offense at it. I am allowed to have opinions on diamonds that are different from yours. As I said, I didn't want a diamond ring, but my fiance wanted us to have one, so we compromised. No diamond. Had he pushed it, I would have gotten a rough diamond or something antique. My personal preference is not for the sparkly disco ball diamonds. I find our general obsession with diamonds, from bridal jewelry to the bling in hip hop music to be excessive and wasteful considering what it takes to get the things out of the ground. If you disagree with me, then so be it.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm allowed to offer a dissenting view and say, Hey, I think that rough diamonds are pretty. The rough diamond is the gemstone equivalent of the Tinsley Mortimer make-under.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rough-diamond-engagement-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:68b44e34-f7d8-4248-ad10-c6afe9736b3cPost:823f84f6-267a-49e2-8047-765f1b387b46">Re: Rough diamond engagement rings</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rough diamond engagement rings : So... no, you woulnd't get one of the ones OP posted? Was that the jist of your patronizing spiel?
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

<div>Seems to me like you took offense at it. I am allowed to have opinions on diamonds that are different from yours. As I said, I didn't want a diamond ring, but my fiance wanted us to have one, so we compromised. No diamond. Had he pushed it, I would have gotten a rough diamond or something antique. My personal preference is not for the sparkly disco ball diamonds. I find our general obsession with diamonds, from bridal jewelry to the bling in hip hop music to be excessive and wasteful considering what it takes to get the things out of the ground. If you disagree with me, then so be it.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm allowed to offer a dissenting view and say, Hey, I think that rough diamonds are pretty. The rough diamond is the gemstone equivalent of the Tinsley Mortimer make-under.</div>
  • Options
    I do not have an e-ring - not a big jewelry person (I like it, the cost of real stuff just freaks me out a little). If I had one though I would consider one of these. I think they are interesting and that after the trend went away you would still have something kind of different.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rough-diamond-engagement-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:68b44e34-f7d8-4248-ad10-c6afe9736b3cPost:9c5c79d4-8bd7-49e7-9648-4c4ef8b19e1a">Re: Rough diamond engagement rings</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Rough diamond engagement rings : Seems to me like you took offense at it. I am allowed to have opinions on diamonds that are different from yours. As I said, I didn't want a diamond ring, but my fiance wanted us to have one, so we compromised. No diamond. Had he pushed it, I would have gotten a rough diamond or something antique. <strong>My personal preference is not for the sparkly disco ball diamonds. I find our general obsession with diamonds, from bridal jewelry to the bling in hip hop music to be excessive and wasteful considering what it takes to get the things out of the ground. If you disagree with me, then so be it. I'm allowed to offer a dissenting view and say, Hey, I think that rough diamonds are pretty. </strong>The rough diamond is the gemstone equivalent of the Tinsley Mortimer make-under.

Of course you're entitled to a dissenting opinion, but it just sounds a little judgy of you when you describe cut diamonds as "sparkly disco balls."  I would never judge any woman who did not want a diamond for her engagement ring, so I likewise think it's kind of stupid to get uppity about your super special reasons for <em>not</em> wanting one.  So you don't want one.  It doesn't elevate you to a superior realm of existence.
    panther
  • Options
    These are neat, but I definitely love my sparkly diamonds!  Also, it helps that it has a lot of sentimental value, as my diamonds came from rings belonging to my great-grandparents, making them at least 75 years old!

• Options
    I actually think the are really pretty and I would wear one for an ering. I love the Victorian style.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_rough-diamond-engagement-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:68b44e34-f7d8-4248-ad10-c6afe9736b3cPost:e22c6f74-9474-41b2-a298-918feb10664c">Re: Rough diamond engagement rings</a>:
    [QUOTE]No.  I'm shallow and I want my diamond to sparkle harder than Edward Cullen.
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

HAHA ditto!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

• Options
    I have a rough diamond engagement ring and what I love about it is that it will be timeless!  I feel like I can look at the engagement rings of the generations above me and immediately place them--- whether they got engaged in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc.  And lately I've noticed that every girl has been getting an engagement ring that looks the same!  They all are that "antique" look with the diamond surround on a cushion cut or some other rounded center diamond.  They're beautiful and I can't argue that.  BUT in 20 years I'm going to know within 10 years of when you got engaged cause it's going to look dated, like bell bottoms= 70s.  But rough diamonds are going to be really difficult to place and will always look unique.  When mixed with other cut diamonds-- like pave--- they can be equally beautiful and sparkly without being boring and cookie cutter!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards