Snarky Brides
Options

WWYD?

Ok, so my friend is starting up a photography business and I asked her fee for doing some maternity pictures. I really wanted to have some done, but I told her I'd think about it since we are trying to save money. Well I talked it over with DH and we decided it would be best to save the money so I told her thanks, but I'd have to pass. She said she'd do them for free since she is trying to build her portfolio and I'm a good friend, I felt bad, but she insisted. Well now, I feel bad and feel like I should do something. Would a $50 gift card and a thank you card be ok? Or any other suggestions? I don't want it to look like well you can buy me a gift card, but can't pay the fee kinda thing.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WWYD?

• Options
    I think the gift card i lovely. If she is going into the business she has to understand a lot of clients are going to have a bottom line budget and may move on. If she still insisits I don't think doing it will take advantage of her because she is the one asking you. If she is a good friend she will understand the balance between money, your wants, and the appreciation you show.
  • Options
    Maybe invite her over for dinner or something... or treat her to a double date. That way it seems like you're super appreciative and making it personal without breaking the bank. 
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The gift voucher is a nice idea, so is the dinner. You could do a mani/pedi gift certificate too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_wwyd-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6d116f0a-e34f-45fd-acce-cf839fbce665Post:be719ead-7ebc-43c7-a215-4ecdd615a404">Re: WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe invite her over for dinner or something... or treat her to a double date. That way it seems like you're super appreciative and making it personal without breaking the bank. 
    Posted by bakekiwi[/QUOTE]
    I like this idea. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    i think the gift card idea is a good one.  plus, if you get your pics taken, you are helping her out.  don't feel bad b/c most photographers need a "guinea pig" and you just lucked out to be that.  she is your friend and understands! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i'd give her a bottle of wine...because, if she's using your shots for her portfolio, she's getting some good use out of them too.  and you might want to make sure you're OK with how they're going to be used...if you don't want to see pics of yourself all over the internet / facebook, you should probably make that clear to her.
  • Options
    Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2011

Can you possibly buy some of the prints later?

If budget is really tight, I'd try for that and cook her a nice dinner. Then, with her permission, share pictures and give her some great word of mouth advertising.

My mom is a photographer, and when she gets a new background, prop, idea, or something she just grabs the nearest willing person and plops them in front of the camera.

ETA: Spelling error

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If she did a good job with the pics, the best compliment you could give her is to tell everyone how great a job she did and show off her pics, post a couple on FB, whatever the case may be.  Word of mouth is the best advertising for small businesses.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards