Snarky Brides
Options

Talking about your wedding on FB

13»

Re: Talking about your wedding on FB

• Options
    I think I've done a small handful of updates, but not in quite some time, which I'm very proud of because I've been tempted to sooo many times :)

My last update was with 200 days left lol

But it does get annoying because I've had other friends who have gotten married recently posting every single minute detail....ugh. And I hate to say it, but same with my pregnant friends. Yay that they're pregnant, but do I really need to know that baby is giving you diarrhea or making you extreeemely tired??
  • Options
    I have to say I don't agree with any of this...

Not really surprising cause I do tend to live my life how I want to. I have invited pretty much everyone I know to my wedding. By that I mean people who are still in my life. Once they pass that not getting invited to crucial parts of my life point they get nixed completely, why even have them around? My wedding is something that means a lot to me, it's one of those moments every bride should feel excited about and understand that it's not just something you do, and I wont treat it as if it was.

That said, I post regularly about all aspects of my life. It's my FB I'll write what I want. There is this lovely thing called "hide" for people who don't wish to read about it. Someone said on here that they have a friend that post 10 times a day, and it annoys you? Not trying to be rude, but are you really being a good friend to that person if you can't delight in her joy? Have you given her a chance to be excited for you?

Also, I don't want to come off rude srsly, but if my friends can't be happy for me or supportive, if they feel necessary to hide me because they don't like my post, then they aren't really friends, are they?

This is for me personally how I would feel. I'm one of those brides that says "Yay!! 28 days to my wedding, I love you baby!" My friends and family are very supportive and are as excited for me as I am for myself. Embarassed Though that isn't everything I talk about.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_talking-wedding-fb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:71a22645-ce96-43f8-8c09-ae10d3f2aaa9Post:76d1471f-59ad-41f0-ab64-4113a586dfed">Re: Talking about your wedding on FB</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow. If you don't want somebody invited to your wedding that you have on fb then maybe you shouldn't have them as a friend on fb. ya'll are saying not to post anything that goes on in your life then what exactly is fb for????? People are way too worried about what other people think.
    Posted by Savannahwells[/QUOTE]

ehh? Too funny. I have a former boss on there for keeping a reference. I have people I used to be close to but now they are acquaintances. I'm not invinting 'acquaintances' to an intimate moment in my life.

I don't think it's rude to talk about wedding stuff. Hell, I wish more girls on my FB would update about their weddings! But it is avoiding the awkward conversations that is more important to me.

FI committed the faux pas for me. He posted "SEND US YOUR RSVPS PEOPLE" hahahah. oh I love him. But he is friends with mostly guys so obviously none of them will start the dramz.
  • Options
    Agree with all those that say keep it light. I put "running around and making wedding plans" ONCE... and then nothing since. I too have people on there, too many people on there that are not invited. I don't want details of the event or date or ANYTHING that could prompt those type of reponses. SO, keep it simple or just don't do it at all if you already know that you will get reponses that put you in an uncomfortable position.

After the wedding is a WHOLE other topic! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Future Mrs. Shaifer
  • Options
    It's YOUR wedding and YOUR fb page...post whatever you want to post.  Who's to say what's "overboard"? What seems as "gushing" to one person might be the post that makes another person smile.

I post about wedding stuff and honestly, no one should assume they're invited just because you post about it. How does that even make sense? People getting offended or annoyed because of what you post is ridiculous when they can simply choose to not view it. There's this neat little button that allows them to HIDE your posts. They can click it and get on with their day.

My youngest son has autism and the majority of my fb friends are related to autism in some way. I had one person tell me I should focus on posting about autism and not my wedding. Seriously?? I post about all sorts of things (I happen to have a life outside of autism). For that one idiot, I can tell you that I get comments on my page ASKING if there's any new wedding news. Some people like feeling as if they're sharing in your moment - even if it's only vicariously via a computer screen.

I post only what I feel comfortable sharing with others. If I know I don't want comments on certain things, I don't post info on those things. Share what YOU feel comfortable sharing. People don't HAVE to view it.  Wink
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Visit seattle.Weddings.com
    Our soulmate is the one who makes life come to life. - Richard Bach
  • Options
    After seeing this I had to check my profile and see how many times I've post WR posts.  Twice.  I posted when we got engaged in June.  And last week I posted asking other brides in my area where they got married as I'm doing the frantic narrowing down of options.  But I do get other people turn my posts into wedding related things. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    One way to solve the problem is to create an event and mark it PRIVATE and invite only the FB friends/family that you are inviting.  I've had to do this since we are going from engaged to wedding day in 5 months and had to get some info out quick!  Don't post status updates or else be prepared to delete a lot of contacts first.  I think it's a little too impersonal for such a personal event.
  • Options
    I agree, with taking it easy on FB with giving too much info.  I did update my FB to engaged and post a few pics of my engagement ring a few days after we got engaged this June but, I haven't said anything since.  A few friends have messaged me andI respond in private message.
  • Options
    I say post away.  If you want to post ten times a day about wedding details, do it!  People repeatedly post much less meaningful words and opinions I don't agree with all the time on FB and with one swift click I am able to hide their posts or unfriend them.  It is YOUR facebook page and YOUR wedding and if YOU want every post to be about the big day as an outlet to your energy and stress (and are aware that people stopped reading months ago), go right ahead! 

• Options
    J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    How the fuuck did you even FIND this thread?!

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I've been posting regular coupon codes and other things to remind people we've invited to book their travel and hotel since it's a DW and people like to forget to do that, which could cause their price to be double what it is if they had booked earlier.  Of course I'm not a facebook friend hoarder so that helps; a significant chunk of my 'friends' are people who actually got invited and the rest are ones who I'm friends with but would not likely expect an invite to begin with, like old high school buddies I don't actively hang out with, etc.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards