Options

Local stereotypes.

2»

Re: Local stereotypes.

• Options
    Mountains of NC:

We don't have teeth

exploding meth labs

Everyone is inbred (I only know two inbreds, thankyouverymuch)

Confederate flags
  • Options
    we all say yinz. (well, yeah we kinda do.)

our city is impossible to drive in. (umm yeah that one too.)

our city is sports-obsessed. (check.)

apparently we're pretty high on the "cities with bad hair" list.
    (i can see evidence of that. everywhere.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I get mugged every day on the street and the subways aren't safe.

Also, I must know SOMEONE in the mafia.

We all say FUGGEDABOUDIT!!!!!

• Options
    Chicago:  political corruption (oh wait, true!), idiot governors (true again), gangsters, weather changes every five minutes, traffic congestion (it's always rush hour), Oprah runs the city (could be true).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_local-stereotypes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:787ab3de-f6f5-48d3-abbd-37b3402b30dcPost:dc3e68a4-6acb-4fec-a1d2-3c65534585ae">Re: Local stereotypes.</a>:
    [QUOTE]we all say yinz. (well, yeah we kinda do.) our city is impossible to drive in. (umm yeah that one too.) our city is sports-obsessed. (check.) apparently we're pretty high on the "cities with bad hair" list. (i can see evidence of that. everywhere.)
    Posted by msange727[/QUOTE]

Ooh I need to find this list. My city must be on there.  Femullets are still fashionable. 
  • Options
    SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    SOuth Lousiana:
    No teeth
    Unintelligible speech patterns
    Ignorance
    Agricultural
    Corrupt Politicians
    Racism
    Sexism

not saying any of those aren't true for a lot of people.. just not all

Texas:
    We all own boots
    We worship UT and the Cowboys (gag me with a spoon)
    Everyone loves Bush (I happen to live in the only blue county in a sea of red)
    Everyone has oil money

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Roxy, I'll take the dry heat of AZ over the humid heat of LA ANY day.

Hmm - I think NC's covered I'll do my new state.

Iowa - it's all flat, there are no trees. It's nothing but cornfields.
    We have no cultural resources here - you know, because it's like IOWA.
    All the people are overweight slobs.
    Everyone farms
    Everyone drives a truck (there's a bit of truth to that one, because you get a property tax break for that)
    Nobody has an accent here. I AM the odd one here, though.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Oh Missy - yes I forgot the accent...the one we DO have in Chicago.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_local-stereotypes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:787ab3de-f6f5-48d3-abbd-37b3402b30dcPost:997d7884-409d-4d72-baad-4c5cd2609e84">Re: Local stereotypes.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in a trailer and have chickens running around in my yard.. don't wear shoes anywhere.. we also don't have malls here, and have alligators as pets. Yea. Not so much. There are more, but I will stop there. Makes me sad how the movies portray Alabama.. LOL
    Posted by staceytaylor0704[/QUOTE]

Oh dear southern friend. I once was in Florida and was in an elevator with a girl from New Jersey. She asked where I was from and commented on how "cute" my accent was. She then proceeded to ask me if we wore shores in TN. My first response was "hello, try looking down at my feet for a second". I was in middle school when this happened, and I believe she was around the same age, I have tried to blame it on young stupidity.

I also was in the midwest one time and someone said "Oh, you're from TN. I bet you love country music". I wanted to say "Oh you're from the midwest, I bet you're a farmer"
  • Options

I live in TN so:

We all wear overalls 24/7

We have no teeth nor shoes

The ladies chew tobacco like the men.

We talk all country and stuff. ( i dont have much of an accent but I do say ya'll)

We're all racist inbreds.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_local-stereotypes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:787ab3de-f6f5-48d3-abbd-37b3402b30dcPost:c1b4f859-d756-4bbb-b768-38e06c7a9972">Re: Local stereotypes.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in TN so: We all wear overalls 24/7 We have no teeth nor shoes The ladies chew tobacco like the men. We talk all country and stuff. ( i dont have much of an accent but I do say ya'll) We're all racist inbreds.
    Posted by futuredaniel10[/QUOTE]

Thanks for covering these too!

I'll add that we all bleed UT orange. (I say no thank you and I was born and raised in Knoxville).

We all use double negatives. (This is probably true for about 90% of the population.)
  • Options
    I'm from Amish country in PA. So everyone asks "are you Amish?" Um obviously no since I'm wearing a tank top, am in grad school, and don't smell b/c I bathe daily (not weekly).
    Mrs. Wiggins image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_local-stereotypes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:787ab3de-f6f5-48d3-abbd-37b3402b30dcPost:c14248fb-6129-4ec6-9f0b-d877e3e0b072">Re: Local stereotypes.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do imagine you with a sweet Steel Magnolias accent Stacey. :P
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

Haha, I actually don't have a strong southern accent... mostly just when I drink.. :) I even pronounce things like "aunt" correctly.. It grinds my gears when people say ANT.. Do you not see the "U"??? An ant is a creepy crawly.. LOL
  • Options
    We all wear Wranglers and cowboy hats/boots

There are oil wells in downtown Dallas that are constantly spewing oil

Any stereotype related to the show "Dallas"

We have big hair (okay, some of us do)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    BubbalubBubbalub member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    We're all gay. (San Francisco)
    We're all hippies.
    We're all into technology (Silicon Valley).
    I'm from California so I must be tan. (Hi Roxy!) 
    We all talk like valley girls. (Like, Oh My God! I'm like so totally going to the mall!)
    We're all wacky hipsters who drive hybrid cars/electric cars/grease cars.
    We all know how to surf and say "Dude" a lot. (Dude, ok, maybe that last part is true-ish. Heh.)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm from east Texas. think True Blood (western Louisiana culture is very similar to east Texas culture). that's the east Texas stereotype--no teeth, overalls, trailer houses, racism, pit bulls, meth...

which is true to a point... but a large number of people in east Texas are just sweet Southern folk.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    Canadians are all so nice and polite, eh
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_local-stereotypes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:787ab3de-f6f5-48d3-abbd-37b3402b30dcPost:40a17513-905d-4fb1-a86d-23734c1cade4">Re: Local stereotypes.</a>:
    [QUOTE]SOuth Lousiana: No teeth Unintelligible speech patterns Ignorance Agricultural Corrupt Politicians Racism Sexism not saying any of those aren't true for a lot of people.. just not all Texas: We all own boots <strong>We worship UT and the Cowboys</strong> (gag me with a spoon) Everyone loves Bush (I happen to live in the only blue county in a sea of red) Everyone has oil money
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

PUKE!!!!! I worship the Aggies and the Oilers (may they RIP). haha. but actually, I do own 2 pair of boots and am wanting another, and my husband comes from some oil money.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    For CT:
    Every one is white and wealthy.
    Every one works in NYC and only lives here to raise kids in the burbs.
    Every one only wears Brooks Brothers and Lacoste.
    Every mom drives a huge Denali or Escalade and barely knows how to drive.
    You must own a nice string of pearls.

For MA:
    If you wear a Yankees hat in public you might as well be asking for a facepunch.
    We pahk our cahs.
    Of course we have Sam Adams beer as we are a bunch of Irish drunks.
    Fast talkers.
    If you don't see an ATM or Dunks at all times you are probably no longer in MA.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_local-stereotypes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:787ab3de-f6f5-48d3-abbd-37b3402b30dcPost:19511309-2712-4868-a5d9-8791227455c5">Re: Local stereotypes.</a>:
    [QUOTE]For MA: If you wear a Yankees hat in public you might as well be asking for a facepunch. <strong>We pahk our cahs.</strong> Of course we have Sam Adams beer as we are a bunch of Irish drunks. Fast talkers. If you don't see an ATM or Dunks at all times you are probably no longer in MA.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

HAH! FI's family is all from Boston and only his parents' generation has that thick Boston accent. Everyone in our generation or younger sounds just like people from the west coast with the exception of a couple of words like "drawer/draah". We call them the tv generation.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    That we're part of Virginia (separated in 1863, thanks)
    That everyone marries their cousins
    That we're all overweight and unhealthy (kinda true, unfortunately)
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_local-stereotypes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:787ab3de-f6f5-48d3-abbd-37b3402b30dcPost:6c03b7c1-96c5-42d0-9c49-d0f79e8c60ed">Local stereotypes.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tell me some.  A few seconds ago, I realized I was standing at my back door staring at the rain.  OMG IT'S WATER FROM THE SKYYYYY!  I may not be originally from AZ, but I definitely participate in the rain-staring. You go.
    Posted by kimheartsscott[/QUOTE]

I participate in rain-staring too!

Stereotypes though - If you didn't put on sunscreen (it should be next to your toofbrush), and you work outside, pulling weeds or something, you will get super dark tan lines - especially around your sleeve areas!    They are so hard to get rid of!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_local-stereotypes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:787ab3de-f6f5-48d3-abbd-37b3402b30dcPost:d753e115-5ebd-4bf0-9bfe-6de6192d7ca0">Re: Local stereotypes.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Roxy, I'll take the dry heat of AZ over the humid heat of LA ANY day.
    Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]

See, that's the other thing that drives me up the wall. It has been so humid here the last 2 weeks, and it's still been ridiculously hot.  Yes, most of the time it's a dry heat, but the last 2 weeks have been constant swamptits.
  • Options

When I was 7, my pen pal (who was my BM last year) asked if we rode horses to school in AZ. She came to visit when we were nine, and she was honestly surprised that it didn't look like a Western movie.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards