Snarky Brides
Options

Bloomberg knows breast?

LINK

CN: Sept 3rd more than 1/2 of the hospitals in NYC will have formula "locked up" to encourage more women to breast feed. New moms won't be refused formula, but they'll get a talking to from nurses each time they receive a bottle of formula. Each bottle will also have to be documented with a medical reason that it's being dispersed. 

This is beyond ridiculous to me. Doesn't this fuckstick have something else to do other than bully people into what choices he decides to make for their health (or the health of their child)? My biggest fear with this is that new moms will be shamed into breast feeding, and if their supply doesn't come in, or they aren't able to produce enough, they'll either harm their baby or end up severely depressed because they feel like a failure for not being able to "do what's best" for their child. 
ETA: fixed weird link
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Bloomberg knows breast?

• Options
    That really annoys me. Dmills you bring up some great points.

It's the same thing with the attempts at banning sugary drinks and stuff like that. It pisses me off when the goverment tries to mold what people do with their lives, how they raise their children and what goes into their own bodies.

If I was a nurse I would be giving anyone a talking to..especially EVERYTIME they get a bottle. Ridiculous.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    I can't for the life of me figure out how/why anyone would vote for this guy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It amuses me that some people I know are outraged over this, but were praising him not to long ago over the soda ban.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I wonder how many nurses will actually uphold  that (at least the "lecturing" part of it)?  They know first hand what moms go though moreso than some ignorant male asshat.  The government seriously needs to take a step away from managing people's bodies.  
  • Options

Ridiculous!

why shame a mom into believing that her choices for HER kid aren't appropriate? there are so many new moms who have painful experiences or can't get their milk in right away. JFC. Hopefully the nurses who are called to the women are understanding.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    OMG. WHY IS A MAN MAKING THIS DECISION? If you don't have lactating tits, step off!
  • Options
    FFS.  I hope this guy chokes on his owndick.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bloomberg-knows-breast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:78f4e9a0-eac0-4847-9172-57dde995d50cPost:4c232da4-f313-46fe-83e1-3e9638aac6c8">Re: Bloomberg knows breast?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I wonder how many nurses will actually uphold  that (at least the "lecturing" part of it)?</strong>  They know first hand what moms go though moreso than some ignorant male asshat.  The government seriously needs to take a step away from managing people's bodies.  
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]
    I wonder this, too. If I were a nurse, there is no way in hell that I'd be willing to push that ish on someone. <div>
    </div><div>If I lived in NYC (which would never happen, because my head would explode) I'd just plan to bring my own damn formula to the hospital with me. If they made a comment about it, I'd go apeshit crazy on them. </div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My favorite talk radio station is saying that there are rumors his next ban is going to be alcohol related.

Im not surprised.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    It's none of his damn business how I feed my newborn, as long as the baby gets appropriate nourishment and care.  There is NOTHING wrong with deciding to formula feed.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bloomberg-knows-breast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:78f4e9a0-eac0-4847-9172-57dde995d50cPost:f236a2cc-0f21-4029-b49d-e4bcbe72208b">Re: Bloomberg knows breast?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My favorite talk radio station is saying that there are rumors his next ban is going to be alcohol related. Im not surprised.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]
    Oh sweet baby jesus, that one might actually get people in NYC a little fired up, but probably not. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would intentionally squirt my brest milk on the floor while drink a 40 ounce Mountain Dew in front of city hall if I could. Fvck you very much.
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bloomberg-knows-breast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:78f4e9a0-eac0-4847-9172-57dde995d50cPost:8cfdb0c1-4347-48e6-a6a4-ddd6cbac9da9">Re: Bloomberg knows breast?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would intentionally squirt my brest milk on the floor while drink a 40 ounce Mountain Dew in front of city hall if I could. Fvck you very much.
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

Nates FTW!

Seriously, this is effed up.  Not surprising though, especially after he changed the term limit law and people voted him back in.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    SEWFSEWF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    He has no right to try to force breastfeeding on people. I plan on trying to BF, but if for some reason I can't, formula is a fantastic substitute. I worry about the woman's psyche if she can't BF for some reason. It's not shameful to not be able to, or even to not want to BF.

But if he tries to ban alcohol, I'm sure NYC would rally against it. When I was in NYC, there were bars EVERYWHERE (I was near Time's Square, though, so maybe that had something to do with it). That would be a blow for a lot of businesses around there.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I really, really hate the shaming that's involved in the whole breastfeeding debate.  As long as the kid is getting fed, I don't care what substance it is drinking.  Seriously.  Women who can't BF or choose not to for whatever reason have every fucking right to do so.  WTF.

"Smash's balls are the biggest balls of them all." -AATB

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bloomberg-knows-breast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:78f4e9a0-eac0-4847-9172-57dde995d50cPost:6ef67a66-987d-4c11-9acb-c6c8237bbb00">Re: Bloomberg knows breast?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's ridiculous.  I think that in many situations, breastfeeding is best. But in a lot of situations, it's not!  (When it stresses the mother out a lot, I think it's more harmful than anything.) Not only is this not the government's business,<strong> but it's going to make mothers who have no choice but to formula feed feel like crap</strong>.  This guy is such a tool.  First the soda ban, now this?  
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]
    It's just as crappy for the women who don't want to BF at all.
  • Options

Yeah, I just don't get this guy's motives for wanting to control formula. There are just so many other things to want control over that would make more sense than the formula/breastmilk debate.

25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bloomberg-knows-breast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:78f4e9a0-eac0-4847-9172-57dde995d50cPost:7c236bfb-8c9d-4fe4-bf36-ccda49805dbf">Re: Bloomberg knows breast?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bloomberg knows breast? : It's a crappy policy for both, but <strong>I think it's going to be more devastating to women who are pretty much being told "Hey, your body isn't working right so we're going to lecture you as long as you're in the hospital."</strong>
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

I really hope they won't actually lecture someone who physically can't BF.  My friend's SIL had double mastitis, I can't imagine what it would have done to her if the medical staff tried to make her feel bad about it.

• Options
    WTF?  I'd like to see the reaction of an exhausted new mom when a nurse lectures her on what she's doing "wrong". 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bloomberg-knows-breast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:78f4e9a0-eac0-4847-9172-57dde995d50cPost:7c236bfb-8c9d-4fe4-bf36-ccda49805dbf">Re: Bloomberg knows breast?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bloomberg knows breast? : It's a crappy policy for both, but I think it's going to be more devastating to women who are pretty much being told "Hey, your body isn't working right so we're going to lecture you as long as you're in the hospital."
    Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]
    Eh, maybe this is a UO, but I think it would/will be very difficult to be a mother who just doesn't want to BF and to be made to feel inferior or less "motherly" because she simply desn't want to. I have no plans to BF at all and there are a lot of "breast is best" people who side eye it (vocally) and look at it as a unnatural attitude.  Getting a lecture about how I should want to BF my child is just as detrimental/devastating, IMO.

Anyway, whatever, this policy sucks either way.
  • Options
    My mom tried to BF me, and I ended up having to be put on formula because I ended up being lactose interolerant (and was losing a lot of weight). 

She might have throat punched (or junk punched) someone if they told her "she was doing it wrong."  FFS, I couldn't even have normal formula...I had to be put on soy formula because of my health issues.   
    knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • Options
    I can't even believe this. I hope some con law lawyers get all up in this shitbox's face with the fact that this is totally against constitutional rights.
  • Options
    I find it totally fucked up that, as an educated woman, I would have to be "educated again" while laying in a hospital bed about my decision to bottle feed if that were to be my decision.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bloomberg-knows-breast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:78f4e9a0-eac0-4847-9172-57dde995d50cPost:04e1f0cb-4e25-48df-8110-3aaf1feffb63">Re: Bloomberg knows breast?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bloomberg knows breast? : <strong>Eh, maybe this is a UO, but I think it would/will be very difficult to be a mother who just doesn't want to BF and to be made to feel inferior or less "motherly" because she simply desn't want to. I have no plans to BF at all and there are a lot of "breast is best" people who side eye it (vocally) and look at it as a unnatural attitude.  Getting a lecture about how I should want to BF my child is just as detrimental/devastating,</strong> IMO. Anyway, whatever, this policy sucks either way.
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

<div>As soon as I started showing people were giving me their opinions. I've kept my breastfeeding opinions to myself but I always wonder what they would say if I told them how I really feel. It's bullshit. </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm late getting back to this, but SEWF and Nates comments riled me up. When topics like this come up, it causes people to feel like they have to defend their choice. Whether either one of you choose or are able to breast feed, is none of anyone's effing business. I know you didn't comment because you felt like you had too, but it does cause people to feel like they have to defend a decision that the government should never EVER be involved in. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bloomberg-knows-breast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:78f4e9a0-eac0-4847-9172-57dde995d50cPost:911c8f44-beed-4811-ab59-89f85ec0adce">Re: Bloomberg knows breast?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bloomberg knows breast? : As soon as I started showing people were giving me their opinions. I've kept my breastfeeding opinions to myself but I always wonder what they would say if I told them how I really feel. It's bullshit. 
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]
    Exactly. I'm not even pregnant, but we're planning on TTC early next year, so I discuss it frequently with my friends. It's ridiculous how militant people are. WTF cares if you want to BF or not? I'm sorry, but I shouldn't feel "unnatural" or like my mothering instincts are incorrect if I just don't want to.

I kind of feel like it's making the mother feel like her mind is not working correctly, the same as someone who can't BF might feel upset because her body is having issues.

ETA: ITA, Dmill.
  • Options
    Dmil- your headline cracked me up. AWESOME.

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bloomberg-knows-breast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:78f4e9a0-eac0-4847-9172-57dde995d50cPost:4d4910eb-6c25-416e-81d0-2faefb9f86d2">Re: Bloomberg knows breast?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really, really hate the shaming that's involved in the whole breastfeeding debate.  As long as the kid is getting fed, I don't care what substance it is drinking.  Seriously.  Women who can't BF or choose not to for whatever reason have every fucking right to do so.  WTF.
    Posted by Smash Adams[/QUOTE]

This.  This policy is making me so ragey I can't even decide what I want to say.  I've seen family and friends beat themselves up over not being able to breastfeed and others making them feel like horrible moms because of it.  Jesus, when did the concept of breast milk being beneficial to a baby turn into you suck as a mom if you don't breast feed?
  • Options
    Sure, because after 24 hours of labor, what I most need is a lecture about how to feed my child!  I remember feeling so dazed, terrified, and in awe of the whole event after childbirth.  While I did plan to breastfeed, if I had had reasons not to, I would not have been in the best frame of mind to be lectured by a nurse about why my choice is wrong.  

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_bloomberg-knows-breast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:78f4e9a0-eac0-4847-9172-57dde995d50cPost:fddbf128-d331-42d4-a4a7-1600f23ef80c">Re: Bloomberg knows breast?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm late getting back to this, but SEWF and Nates comments riled me up. When topics like this come up, it causes people to feel like they have to defend their choice. Whether either one of you choose or are able to breast feed, is none of anyone's effing business. I know you didn't comment because you felt like you had too, but it does cause people to feel like they have to defend a decision that the government should never EVER be involved in. 
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly. Whenever I type something about breastfeeding or bottle feeding is my choice, I always feel like I need to add "but I am going to try to breastfeed" so that people won't jump down my throat. I shouldn't have to add that.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards