Snarky Brides
Options

Dear WikiLeaks Guy...

Thank you for setting US diplomacy back just so you can get your stupid ugly mug in the papers again, you giant twatburger.  Not only was there nothing in those documents that needed to be leaked for the "good of the people" (except for Hillary's shenanigans with the UN, that was f*cked up), but you have managed to A) out Saudi Arabia as wanting to bomb Iran, which is probably going to both seriously undermine any efforts we're making to get other Middle Eastern countries on our side (because who is going to want to work with us when their bidness might be splashed all over the NYT), and alert Iran to that fact, possibly putting them in danger.  And B) to out China, the ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD that is in a position to back Crazy McCrazypants over in North Korea off his crackpipe and away from the "bombs away!" button because it's the ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD that he trusted, as secretly being tired of NK and wanting a rejoined Korea.  Thanks.  Jerk. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

Re: Dear WikiLeaks Guy...

• Options
    Uh-oh...the U.S. got some 'splainin' to do!

• Options
    Cosigned,
    Betrothed

I'm all for transparency, but some secrets need to be kept for the safety of people worldwide.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Co-signed - ichellemay
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I have to be honest, I havnt bothered to read any of these wikileaks, and I dont really care.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-wikileaks-guy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7db5a86a-78ce-430e-b451-617efd69dae6Post:214cbada-cc61-47ce-89c4-83ffc5c56a71">Re: Dear WikiLeaks Guy...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to be honest, I havnt bothered to read any of these wikileaks, and I dont really care.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

TBH, If I lived in Canada I don't think I'd care either.  : )
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-wikileaks-guy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:7db5a86a-78ce-430e-b451-617efd69dae6Post:214cbada-cc61-47ce-89c4-83ffc5c56a71">Re: Dear WikiLeaks Guy...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to be honest, I havnt bothered to read any of these wikileaks, and I dont really care.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    One more thing. On top of being a global shiit-stirrer, this guy is also a possible rapist.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/19/world/europe/19assange.html?_r=2
  • Options
    I have mixed feelings because, as B pointed out, transparancy is usually a good thing.  While it is uncomfortable and maybe very dangerous for this info to come out, perhaps if there were less underhandedness and more openness, the world would be safer in the long run.

If, for example, instead of just pretending to like Iran or NK while secretly plotting against them, the countries in question would actually state their real positions to those countries, things might be better.  Maybe not, but maybe.

I have a bad feeling about just trusting the governments to do what's best, esp. knowing that they have absolutely no problem with openly lying about what they are doing while trying to carry on clandestine operations.  I am not comfortable with that at all, even though I know it happens every single day and probably always will. 

I think the wikileaks guy is a douche, but I'm not convinced that this latest leak is an unmitigated harm.  I can see some positive in forcing openness.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-wikileaks-guy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:7db5a86a-78ce-430e-b451-617efd69dae6Post:56340a17-2c3e-41aa-aa0c-1a7ba6f2e8e4">Re: Dear WikiLeaks Guy...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>That is fairly old news LTZ.</strong> While I don't disagree that the man behind wikileaks is a foul piece of humanity, I don't think that a lot of what has been released is that much of a surprise.  Of course China wants stability in the region...it's about economy, not politics there these days.  And I don't think it comes as a surprise to anyone that Saudi Arabia is not too happy with Iran either.
    Posted by rhonwynv[/QUOTE]

Ok. I wasn't saying it was fresh off the presses, but for people that aren't paying too much attention to the full story, thought I'd get some background info.
  • Options
    Even if more openness is needed, this is not the way to go about it.  The purpose of a diplomat is to be brutally honest about the people they work with to their superiors.  Sometimes that entails saying things that you don't want to get back to them.  There's a reason why stuff like this is kept "secret".  Because there's no need for the president of France to know that we think he's an emperor with no clothing.  The only thing that's doing is helping us better understand how to work with him diplomatically.  Some world leaders like candor, some don't.  Some are more open to negotiation, some aren't.  In order to do their jobs, diplomats and members of the government need to know who they're working with. 

Everybody doesn't like something about everybody else.  Can you imagine the social chaos there would be if every negative thing you had said in the past two years about your friends and loved ones was suddenly out there for everyone, including them, to see? 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-wikileaks-guy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:7db5a86a-78ce-430e-b451-617efd69dae6Post:56340a17-2c3e-41aa-aa0c-1a7ba6f2e8e4">Re: Dear WikiLeaks Guy...</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is fairly old news LTZ. While I don't disagree that the man behind wikileaks is a foul piece of humanity, I don't think that a lot of what has been released is that much of a surprise.  <strong>Of course China wants stability in the region...it's about economy, not politics there these days.  And I don't think it comes as a surprise to anyone that Saudi Arabia is not too happy with Iran either.
    </strong>Posted by rhonwynv[/QUOTE]

Maybe not to you, but I would imagine NK very well thought China was on their side. Which gave China an in on negotiations with them.  Now they're going to know they've been played, and anything China says to them they're going to side-eye.  You're talking about one of the most narcissistic meglomaniac leaders in the world, of COURSE he wants to believe China's on his side until he sees otherwise.  Now he has. 

As far as Iran and Saudi Arabia, double-dealings are unfortunately par for course in the Middle East.  It's like having the crazy neighbor next door - are you going to storm over to his house, tell him that you're calling the police on him, and then do so standing in his living room?  Or are you going to do it where he can't see, because he's crazy and while you want him gone, you don't want to put yourself in harm's way while doing it?

• Options
    I understand that, but I also believe that if, say, the US was known for its' candor, that would be a good thing.  If the US is known to be duplicitous, how does that work in our favor in the long run? 

Obviously this is not the way to go about promoting openness, but like I said, I see some possible good coming from it.  I can hope, anyway. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-wikileaks-guy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:7db5a86a-78ce-430e-b451-617efd69dae6Post:28f38750-0b3d-4297-ac2f-4ef6ecf1468e">Re: Dear WikiLeaks Guy...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear WikiLeaks Guy... : This isn't just affecting the US.  He outted other countries' secrets as well.  There's a difference between "candor" and "being insulting".  Do you think negotations or diplomacy would have gone well with, say, Russia if we'd sat down at the table and said "Hey, Putin, so we think you're definately the BMOC, but this "president" you've elected is pretty much the Robin to your Batman, and we plan on treating him as such." 
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

Do you think it's better that the people with whom we deal think that we are being straight with them, or that we might be just blowing smoke up their butts and they can't really be sure? 
  • Options
    NuggetBrainNuggetBrain member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-wikileaks-guy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:7db5a86a-78ce-430e-b451-617efd69dae6Post:56e27509-24ae-4a5f-836d-d3ddb9d12cfa">Re: Dear WikiLeaks Guy...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear WikiLeaks Guy... : Do you think it's better that the people with whom we deal think that we are being straight with them, or that we might be just blowing smoke up their butts and they can't really be sure? 
    Posted by ohwhynot[/QUOTE]

We are being straight with them.  I don't understand your reasoning - it's absolutely no different than when you're at work, and you have to work with a client that's a douchebag, so you and your coworker get together and go "okay, so this guy is kind of a douchebag, so we have to handle him differently than Client Y, who's more easy going."  Should you go tell your client that you two talked, decided he's a douchebag, and are therefore going to handle him in XYZ fashion?  Do you really think anything productive is going to come from that?  You aren't NOT doing business with him because he's a douchebag.  You aren't going around telling EVERYBODY that he's a big douchebag.  You're figuring out how to best deal with him and get his business in a way that makes everybody happy without pissing him off.  I have a coworker who is a horrendous know it all.  But I'm not going to go tell her that I think she's a horrendous know it all, because then she would be pissed off, and it would do absolutely nothing to stop her from being a horrendous know it all.  In fact, it would only serve to make her dislike me, which would put a strain on our working relationship, and possibly affect the company negatively.  So I asked my husband how I should handle her, we discussed ways I can deal with her, and I went from there.  Apparently, though, I should tell her that i talked with my husband, decided she's a horrendous know it all, and so I'll be doing XYS from now on.  Yeah, that'll work.

• Options
    My biggest issue with this is the possibility of putting American soldiers, etc. in more danger than they already are.  I'm with OWN - I hope something good can come of it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-wikileaks-guy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:7db5a86a-78ce-430e-b451-617efd69dae6Post:7f3610e9-32d1-496f-a474-0643c3d1563f">Re: Dear WikiLeaks Guy...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always hope something good will come from things, but I still think this was not at ALL the correct way to try and gain more transparency in our government. 
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

Agreed. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards