Snarky Brides
Options

Tell me about Ovarian Cysts...

This afternoon I went to urgent care for lower right hand side abdominal pain. I was told to go to the hospital for a CT and bloodwork because the doctor believed I had appendicitis. I just got back from the hospital. I do not have appendicitis but I do have an ovarian cyst. (and bandages on both my arms from being poked). I was told to call my GYNO tomorrow for futher care. Anyone have any ovarian cyst stories to share (what to expect/do they come back a lot)?

I know you are not doctor's and I will be calling my GYNO tomorrow morning to seek further care, I am just curious now.

TIA
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tell me about Ovarian Cysts...

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Ovarian cysts, endometriosis, and fibroids are hereditary in my family.  I could type a novel about my experiences.  (TMI ahead)

When I first found out I had mine, it was the same thing as you, but mine actually were found during a Gyno appointment.  He prescribed me BCP to try and get them reduced in size, and it didn't help.  I did end up having to have a minor outpatient surgery a few months later to remove one on my left ovary and a small one on my right ovary.  

Now, they do pop up on alternating sides (for me anyways) each month and I control them with BCP.  They are fairly small and don't actually cause me pain.  I don't even know they are there.  The only reason I got surgery for the other ones is because they were causing me pain.  They have always been simple and non-malignant.

My biggest piece of advice to you is don't freak out.  Stress can make things worse for you.  And eating healthier and exercising has helped control them for me as well.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about them.  
    knotsigpicture Anniversary
  • Options
    They hurt. A lot. They were actually worse for me when I was on BC. I still have pain but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be.
  • Options
    I used to get them, and they were painful. My Ob/Gyn put me on BC. I haven't had one since I had children.

• Options
    4 or 5 times while my daughter was in college, I would get a phone call from one of her friends that she was in the ER with severe pain, lower right quadrant.  No elevation in white count so they looked for a gyno problem.  She had on each case, had a small ovarian cyst rupture.  Not all the serious but quite painful.

Usually, she was being discharged just as I arrived in Boston having flown from NYC for the emergency.

She found out a several years later when they decided to start a family that she had PCOS.  She called me to find out if there was any history of diabetes in the family.

She was treated with metformin for several months and the PCOS diminished and she conceived on the first round of clomid.

Happy ending
  • Options
    I first started having pain when I was 16, the Gyno put me on BC and I was fine for years. I never had another issue, even when I had my son 22 years ago there were no issues.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have been on BCP since I was 17 (currently 26). This is the first cyst I have had (that I know of). I go once a year for my routine check up and my GYNO has never felt any cysts before. I did recently (4-5 months ago) switch from the BCP I had been on for along time to a new one. Don't know if that could have anything to do with it (I think this new one has lower hormones and it is an estrogen only pill when the old one was a combo). Thanks for the stories everyone! We will see what my GYNO says tomorrow.
  • Options
    They suck. That is all. I wish I could say differently but I've had them come and go for years. They are painful, they make you feel full when you barely eat anything and can get in the way of your regular bowel patterns. They are almost always non-threatening and your doctors know best how to keep an eye on them. Hopefully yours will resolve on their own. Heating pads and aleve are lifesavers!
  • Options
    Yup.  Incredible pain.  Almost as bad as kidney stones.

I've only had one, but I was at school at the time it burst and felt like one of my organs exploded.  The intense, nausea-inducing pain went away after about 10 minutes, but my side continued to hurt the rest of the day and night.

I googled my symptoms, and of course, scared the hell out of myself.  Sounded like appendicitis.  So I went to the ER, and it turns out it was just an ovarian cyst that already burst.

Just FYI, I wasn't on BC and won't be. 

I wouldn't worry unless you get another.  A lot of women get them at some point, but it doesn't mean it's going to become a problem.  (Still talk to a gyno of course anyways--we're not doctors).

SaveSave
  • Options
    I have them and they caused my period to be irregular, which led to me being freaked out thinking I was pregnant every month!  So my gyno put me on BC to help control the problem, and luckily mine are mild enough that with the Rx it's no longer a problem.  But beware, some BC can make things worse.  My Dr. told me that BC that varies the hormones each week can encourage cyst growth while those that apply a steady amount are better for us with that problem.

My mother's were so severe she just had a hysterectomy to get rid of the problem, of course she was at the age where that was a feasible option.
  • Options
    Hey again ladies... I am so glad to see this post this morning...I know I do not usually post...but I had to say something this time.

Let me just say that this post makes me feel a little better/ calmed down a bit. I am in my early 20's and  currently having this same issue. I am FREAKED out, because I am having the same pain, and my period is not here. (So sorry if it is TMI).  I took 4 pregnancy tests, and they all came out negative. But I am slightly comforted to know, that my case is not rare. I am going to the doctor tommorrow. Best of luck to everyone who is going through this! Other than this, I hope everyone has a wonderful day! :) 
    Life Is Sweeter With Icing on Top... Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I used to get them in my teens.  I had to go for a ton of testing because the docs had no clue why I had such severe pain im my stomach.  Once they figured out what it was doc put me on BCP.  I have been taking the BCP for about 11 yrs and I haven't had those pains since. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Thanks for all the responses ladies! I have a GYNO appt for next tuesday with my usual doctor (first available appt). Tried calling a closer doctor (mine is 1.5 hours away) but since I am a new patient it would be a month and a half before I could get in.
  • Options
    The first time I had a cyst in my 20's, I passed out from the pain. My roommate took me to the hospital and I thought I was going to die, or not be able to have children. The stupid doctor told me they were just menstrual cramps. He is lucky he didn't get hit. lol.

I had it removed surgically, and then had another one a year later.

Now I have two beautiful healthy children, and haven't had another one since. I've heard some women only get them AFTER they have children.

You can read a lot online that can drive you crazy, but basically there is nothing you do about them, and you'll be fine, but yes, they suck....
    NeedWeddingFavors.com - A blog of wedding favors
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards