Snarky Brides

My dog just ate

A toothpick. Is she going to die!?
panther

Re: My dog just ate

• Is she showing any signs of choking or gagging? My guess is, if she isn't, it probably has traveled to the stomach where such a tiny piece of wood can be softened and somewhat dissolved by stomach acid. My dogs eat pointy wood chips from our log pile all the time. They just poop them out later. Unless she is showing signs of vomiting or something, she will probably be ok. I'm not a vet though so this is just one dog mama to another.
  • Nope she just ate it and that was that. I just resigned to the fact that her stomach acid would dissolve it like you said but I got a little freaked when I though about it being pointy. Ugh I am so pissed she ate it. I saw her with it and she knew she wasn't supposed to have it so naturally by the time I got to her she had swallowed it. But no choking or gagging, I guess I will just keep my eye on her for the next day or two. Ugh damn dog
    panther
  • Just watch her poop and butt for blood. She should be ok.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • My stupid dog chewed up and ate the majority of a wooden skewer with no ill effects.  I'm thrilled that my BIL left it where she could reach it...  If you ever read the comic strip "Get Fuzzy", you'll relate.  The dog "Sachel" eats anything on the floor so that he can find out if it's edible.  Sounds about typical.
  • If you're worried about the points, feed her a piece of bread or 2.  My dog at a mouse toy once, we took an x-ray and saw that there was a piece of wire along with everything else.  My boss said to feed bread and or canned food, he passed it just fine.  If her abdomen seems painful though she needs to see the vet asap.
  • My puppies will eat toothpicks, lincoln logs, pine cones, sticks,flip flops, basically anything they see lying around to chew on.  As PPs said, watch her for signs of pain. 

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards