Snarky Brides
Options

Anyone with laminate floors, a cleaning question?

Ok, so random, but I'm having the worst luck with cleaning our laminate (fake wood) floors. Anyone found anything that works? Everything I've tried has left it streaky or sticky, we have lighter floors. I've tried a regular mop with several different types of cleaning products and a steam mop. I'm reading good things about the Bona or some kind of microfiber mop, so that might be something I try out next unless someone has better advice :) TIA!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone with laminate floors, a cleaning question?

• Options
    Regular Pinesol (sometimes watered down) is the best I have found so far, but I totally know what you are talking about! I HATE floor products that leave residue.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I use a steam mop!  Works great.  I can fly across my floor on my socks after steaming the shiit out of it.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-laminate-floors-cleaning-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8b5cefe5-1a48-404c-9d2d-7386e6889862Post:6194cef4-7532-4a84-9769-0c7b4f5527d9">Re: Anyone with laminate floors, a cleaning question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I use a steam mop!  Works great.  I can fly across my floor on my socks after steaming the shiit out of it.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

This! My steam mop works fabulously.  If they're really gunky (like mine are thanks to Christmas) I use a bit of white distilled vinegar and water.

i have this one: <a href="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eureka-Enviro-Steamer-with-Bonus-Mop-Pads-Bundle/15188877?dest=9999999997&sourceid=37168328691294213923&wmlspartner=Q1FHRDakJ6Q" rel="nofollow">http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eureka-Enviro-Steamer-with-Bonus-Mop-Pads-Bundle/15188877?dest=9999999997&sourceid=37168328691294213923&wmlspartner=Q1FHRDakJ6Q</a>
  • Options
    I love my steam mop with a little vinegar in it like Anna said.  Did you use distilled water in yours?  You've GOT to use distilled water.

Otherwise, a microfiber mop and a cleaning solution for laminate is the best.  I really like the Pledge hardwood and laminate spray.

The big thing is to make sure you only use a little.  Get it too wet, and it will get streaky, and it's bad for the laminate.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I use Kaboom on everything because it's the most amazing cleaning agent the world has ever known.  (I used it on the laminate floor in our bathroom and you could eat off that shiit.)

Bio
    "You wore a tit dress at an AIDS party??? You need to go to the whore corner with Mara " - Blue
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-laminate-floors-cleaning-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:8b5cefe5-1a48-404c-9d2d-7386e6889862Post:fb53d8da-77c4-40f4-9982-6db88fa0b688">Re: Anyone with laminate floors, a cleaning question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love my steam mop with a little vinegar in it like Anna said.  Did you use distilled water in yours?  You've GOT to use distilled water. Otherwise, a microfiber mop and a cleaning solution for laminate is the best.  I really like the Pledge hardwood and laminate spray. The big thing is to make sure you only use a little.  Get it too wet, and it will get streaky, and it's bad for the laminate.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

I've just been using regular water in mine, so I'll give the distilled water a shot with a little vingar. I haven't tried using vinegar yet.

I think I have been using too much water with a regular mop. I've been researching and everyone says using a regular mop on laminate is bad, so that's why I'm trying to find a better solution. My floors get dirty fast with the dogs, so I like the idea of using the steam mop.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, if you're using tap water, that's the likely culprit.  Distilled water should work a lot better. 

When I use the microfiber mop and spray, I seriously just mist it once in the area so the floor is barely damp.  You really don't need much, and once you run the mop over it a couple times, the floor should feel dry. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I have a Shark steam mop (it's purple) and has purple reusable/washable pads.)..and I've used that on my cheap ass outdate kitchen floor and my beautiful hardwood floors. :) I'd steam it to clean it, and then I used wood floor cleaner (basically a polish) to make it shiny :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_anyone-laminate-floors-cleaning-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:8b5cefe5-1a48-404c-9d2d-7386e6889862Post:fb53d8da-77c4-40f4-9982-6db88fa0b688">Re: Anyone with laminate floors, a cleaning question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love my steam mop with a little vinegar in it like Anna said.  Did you use distilled water in yours?  You've GOT to use distilled water. Otherwise, a microfiber mop and a cleaning solution for laminate is the best.  I really like the Pledge hardwood and laminate spray. The big thing is to make sure you only use a little.  Get it too wet, and it will get streaky, and it's bad for the laminate.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

I like the Pledge Hardwood spray too...but now I'm really intrigued by the steam mop. I think I'll add that to my wedding registry.  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    I use Bruce's brand cleaner. It is in a green bottle. LOVE IT! The only bad thing is that I use a rag and clean on my hands and knees. There is no better way to make sure my floor is really clean.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards