Snarky Brides
Options

People who bake

Do any of you know anything about sorghum syrup?

We're having a BBQ here at work in honour of the US TG next week (our GM is American, but lives here, so I bug him) and we're doing a dessert potluck.

I intend on making the Smoky Bacon-Ginger Cookies from the Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies magazine (seriously, you need to buy this magazine) and the recipe calls for sorghum syrup with a suggested alternative of unsulfured molasses. 

Is it worth the effort to try and track down some sorghum syrup?  Or should I just sub the molasses?
We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: People who bake

• Options
    Just use the molasses. I imagine it would be like cane syrup. Molasses is yummy!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'm the type of baker who would look at the possible substitution and just go with it because it's easier, so I doubt you want to ask me.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_people-bake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:93011037-d80e-4113-91ff-27e31d690996Post:08938d7c-6110-457c-949c-ffab44ecf5a7">Re: People who bake</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm the type of baker who would look at the possible substitution and just go with it because it's easier, so I doubt you want to ask me.
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

^ I've never even heard of this stuff, so I'd just use molasses, lol.
  • Options
    That's ok b, I'm the type that tries to find the most obscure ingredients for the challenge.  Subsequently, I have 4 different kind of flour in my pantry.

Sarah, I'm not a huge fan of molasses on it's own.  To me it sorta tastes weird.  But in stuff?  Magic.
  • Options
    Molasses is easier to find, so I would personally go with that.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Molasses is probably easier to find, but Sorghum can be used interchangeably in any other recipe in the future, so its not a complete waste of time/money to find it. It is also equal  calories. I have never used it myself, but if you like to try new ingredients I'd say go for it! And let us know!
  • Options
    Just sub the molasses.  It's not quite as sweet as the sorghum syrup but it works just fine.  I can't find sorghum syrup out here as we don't have any kind of specialty groceries.  We need a Whole Foods here badly.
  • Options
    Hmmm, do you think WF would carry it anna?  'Cause we have one here by my work.  It's one of the few in Canada.
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm no help...but now I want some cookies!

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_people-bake?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:93011037-d80e-4113-91ff-27e31d690996Post:69736263-fc46-4614-bdc0-ac0feaede6fa">Re: People who bake</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmmm, do you think WF would carry it anna?  'Cause we have one here by my work.  It's one of the few in Canada.
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]

I have seen it at the WF in minneapolis. It's excellent drizzled over buttered biscuits.  If they don't have it, molasses is really you're best bet.
  • Options
    I have never heard of sorghum syrup.  Although I am a recent fan of agave nectar. 
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Alright, I'll take a look there.  Thanks anna.

Les, agave is awesome.  So sweet.  I've got a recipe starred in my reader for "clean" marshmallows that uses agave instead of a refined sugar syrup.
  • Options
    Read this

You can replace it will mol. or honey

http://www.ehow.com/about_5033039_sweet-sorghum.html
  • Options
    Thanks ricks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards