Snarky Brides
Options

Have you seen this?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/19/texas.scouts.gay.dad/index.html?hpt=T2

It makes me really sad.  These two paragraphs are the most disturbing to me:

"We do have a policy that avowed gays and atheists are not allowed to be a registered leader or member of Boy Scouts of America," said Pat Currie, Scout executive with the Circle Ten Council. "It's a longstanding policy."

"We focus on our mission, and our mission is to take young people and prepare them for an exceptional adulthood
{so if you're gay or an atheist you cannot possibly be an exceptional adult??  I'll be sure to tell my gay best friend who is top in his class in med school. thanks.}," he said. "That's it. That's why our policy is the way it is. Our volunteer leadership has elected to keep that policy in place."
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Have you seen this?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_seen-this-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9e241b90-8c77-41e5-9fb9-fdbf047e1312Post:446df14b-64ed-4a49-968d-5fa02b262670">Re: Have you seen this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but fuuck it. This issue with the scouts has been discussed here before.  The scouts are a religious-based organization.  If you do not agree with their views do not join their organization. It's well known how the scouts feel about homosexuality so I don't understand why anyone who is gay would try to be a leader in an organization that feels so strongly against who they are as a person (in so much as I don't understand why you would try to support an organization that clearly goes against what you believe). To me that sends the message "Do as I say, not as I do.  It's not okay to be gay, but I am anyway."  Why would one want to support that? I feel the same way about atheists trying to climb the ranks of the scouts, and I say that as an atheist.
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

I agree
  • Options
    I agree with B. Boy Scouts are a non-profit, religious based institution and are allowed to discriminate on those bases as much as they want. Its the same way at my place of work, but they are fully within their legal rights. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_seen-this-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9e241b90-8c77-41e5-9fb9-fdbf047e1312Post:446df14b-64ed-4a49-968d-5fa02b262670">Re: Have you seen this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but fuuck it. This issue with the scouts has been discussed here before.  The scouts are a religious-based organization.  If you do not agree with their views do not join their organization. It's well known how the scouts feel about homosexuality so I don't understand why anyone who is gay would try to be a leader in an organization that feels so strongly against who they are as a person (in so much as I don't understand why you would try to support an organization that clearly goes against what you believe). To me that sends the message "Do as I say, not as I do.  It's not okay to be gay, but I am anyway."  Why would one want to support that? I feel the same way about atheists trying to climb the ranks of the scouts, and I say that as an atheist.

I'm not going to flame you that, I totally get what you're saying.  My issue is that the article said everything was fine up until recently.  Why the sudden change when everyone knew all along he was openly gay?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_seen-this-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9e241b90-8c77-41e5-9fb9-fdbf047e1312Post:ce7b420b-4b69-42b3-be9d-8f5c98d1d29c">Re: Have you seen this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have you seen this? : I'm not going to flame you that, I totally get what you're saying.  My issue is that the article said everything was fine up until recently.  Why the sudden change when everyone knew all along he was openly gay?
    Posted by shaydenise[/QUOTE]
    Keep in mind you don't know the circumstances.  It's possible the parents of the kids in his den were aware and did not care, but maybe the organization itself did not find out until recently. 
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_seen-this-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9e241b90-8c77-41e5-9fb9-fdbf047e1312Post:98c1696c-1f8e-4ac6-9006-109ac1743bae">Re: Have you seen this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with B. Boy Scouts are a non-profit, religious based institution and are allowed to discriminate on those bases as much as they want. Its the same way at my place of work, but they are fully within their legal rights. 
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto.</div><div>
    </div><div>Technically, YMCA is the same way, I think.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_seen-this-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9e241b90-8c77-41e5-9fb9-fdbf047e1312Post:8bd7edca-ed11-489c-95e3-d9d83338d5e4">Re: Have you seen this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have you seen this? : Keep in mind you don't know the circumstances.  It's possible the parents of the kids in his den were aware and did not care, but maybe the organization itself did not find out until recently. 

Very true.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    B said buttfuck.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_seen-this-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9e241b90-8c77-41e5-9fb9-fdbf047e1312Post:a2ec7f78-d920-4608-8be8-c808ccde4aed">Re: Have you seen this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]B said buttfuck.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]
    OMG I should have left them as one word.  Thanks for pointing it out.  It made me laugh :)

How's it going?
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I agree with B - if you don't like the (clearly established and stated) philosophy of the organization, don't join.  This reminds me of the person who sued eHarmony because they wouldn't find him a same-sex mate.  EHarmony doesn't match gay people, and they state up front that their method is designed to match male/female couples  There are plenty of other dating sites out there for other types of matches (Jewish, Christian, gay, Pagan, etc etc).  I wouldn't go to a specifically gay site and complain that they didn't find me a male match, or a specifically Jewish site and complain that they didn't find me a Christian match (and then sue them).
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm scared of the scouts. Grown men in uniforms with shorts? Scary.
    img_9694 Anniversary
  • Options
    It's going. I've decided to actually take a lunch break today and chat online with hot babes for the next hour. You in?
  • Options
    Oh man. What if I come up there and pull all of the fire alarms in your building and stand outside with my tits out? I bet you'll get a break then.
  • Options
    Haha!  Yeah, but be prepared for the jackasses I work with to make pervy comments.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Pervy comments are my favorite!
  • Options

I have two things to say about this issue.

1) The Scouts are within their legal rights to exclude whomever they see fit from the organization. HOWEVER, if they are going to discriminate based on race, gender, religion, sexual orientation etc they should not under any circumstances be allowed to hold meetings in public schools as in most states this type of discrimination is against the law in the public sector. The should pony up the cash to rent a hall or have a church allow their meetings there.

2) That being said, how fuucked up is it for the little boy who's a scout his whole life, who becomes an eagle scout, who believes in most of the values and principals of the scouts to be exiled as an adult b/c he is gay or an atheist? This is why I don't buy their crappy popcorn from my coworkers, I don't support the scouts because I think they're pretty terrible in this regard.

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards