Snarky Brides
Options

Car repairs rant

Ugh! So when I took my car in to the dealership after my maintenance required light came on this morning, I thought I just needed a $29 oil change and I'd be good to go. Not so...$600 for a new battery, brake pads and radiator hoses. My head almost literally exploded. They said it so nonchalantly too...oh, but the way...UGH! I hate car repairs. I never really know if I'm being cheated or not, but I really don't have a mechanic in the family to go to for reference either.

At least I'm *almost* off on vacation until January. How are you all doing?

Re: Car repairs rant

• Options
    Eeesh, that's rough. I'm still a little girl in that I ask my dad about things like that; I'm always afraid they will try to do repairs I don't need  and I won't know enough to refuse them.

I'm not so patiently watching the clock. So far beyond ready for a break.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My fiance's car (that we bought two months ago) died on his way home tuesday night. The motor is blown. It's going to cost us $6000 to get a new motor. FML
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_car-repairs-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a087d956-52e7-4f07-a180-1f36f3e427f7Post:a9bdc738-a7e1-4b73-b784-9c6fed8d128e">Car repairs rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh! So when I took my car in to the dealership after my maintenance required light came on this morning, I thought I just needed a $29 oil change and I'd be good to go. Not so...$600 for a new battery, brake pads and radiator hoses. My head almost literally exploded. They said it so nonchalantly too...oh, but the way...UGH! I hate car repairs. I never really know if I'm being cheated or not, but I really don't have a mechanic in the family to go to for reference either. At least I'm *almost* off on vacation until January. How are you all doing?
    Posted by jshillings1[/QUOTE]

ugh; what kind of car do you have!?  Word to the wise, the dealership is the WORST place to go!!  Very overpriced, and not always knowledgeable technicians (Before I met my FI (he's a mechanic) I always went to the dealer (I had a maitenance package so it was "free") but as soon as my warranty started running out they would quote me ridiculous prices ($400 to CLEAN my brakes, um no! FI changed my brake pads for me in under 30 minutes and it cost me $30 for the parts)  Anyway-- not sure what part of Central CA you live in, but my best advise is to find a local auto shop that has qualified technicians-- they should be ASE certified and show credentials in the shop that they are educated technicians.  Dealerships overcharge in parts and their shop rates are typically higher (and they can get away with hiring "part changers" for minimum wage, and very few "technicians"--people who have gone to school and are certified).  Unfortunatly, as women more times than not, mechanics will overcharge, especially the dealer or talk you into things you really do not need.  (For the record my FI does not!  And people respect his honestly which is why our shop is pretty successful).  BUT,  I promise there are good ones out there, but you need to "shop around" and never be  afraid to get a different quote if it sounds too high...on the same end, going cheap of the cheap can sometimes mean you not getting the right parts for your car!  So depending on what kind of car you have, its always worth finding someone who specializes in your vehicle and wil get you the right parts for the fair price.  

Anniversary
  • Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_car-repairs-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a087d956-52e7-4f07-a180-1f36f3e427f7Post:e0deb8ae-7cc1-432c-93b1-f74cdad85b1d">Re: Car repairs rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance's car (that we bought two months ago) died on his way home tuesday night. The motor is blown. It's going to cost us $6000 to get a new motor. FML
    Posted by SJM7538[/QUOTE]

<div>I have no advice for OP, but for you I'd recommend just getting a new (used) car. I bought my Honda for $6000 and I've been driving it for over 10 years now.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_car-repairs-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a087d956-52e7-4f07-a180-1f36f3e427f7Post:a9bdc738-a7e1-4b73-b784-9c6fed8d128e">Car repairs rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh! So when I took my car in to the dealership after my maintenance required light came on this morning, I thought I just needed a $29 oil change and I'd be good to go. Not so...$600 for a new battery, brake pads and radiator hoses. My head almost literally exploded. They said it so nonchalantly too...oh, but the way...UGH! I hate car repairs. I never really know if I'm being cheated or not, but I really don't have a mechanic in the family to go to for reference either. At least I'm *almost* off on vacation until January. How are you all doing?
    Posted by jshillings1[/QUOTE]

Unless you have a Mercedes or something like that, I don't see how those three minor things could be $600.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_car-repairs-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a087d956-52e7-4f07-a180-1f36f3e427f7Post:6687a54b-9296-4765-b797-cea8d48948c0">Re: Car repairs rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Car repairs rant : I just Googled those three things for my car and came up with $531.00 These aren't really minor things, but I guess that's a matter of personal opinion.
    Posted by Edie Bee[/QUOTE]

I guess it is. I've never had a battery replaced at a shop, and I wonder how they 'tested' it and determined it needed replacing if the OP wasn't having issues with it? Batteries are $70 - $140 depending on the battery needed. Radiator hoses are $30 for both of the radiator hoses, I've replaced my own the last time they busted, it's pretty simple on most cars. The labor is probably .5 or 1.0 hours.

The brake pads are the most expensive labor wise, but parts should be under $100 for brake pads unless they're performance.

I do a lot of my own work, so that may cloud my judgement. And, the shop I use is much more reasonable than the dealer.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_car-repairs-rant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a087d956-52e7-4f07-a180-1f36f3e427f7Post:8be80686-646b-4d5d-ae39-af3523df8d0c">Re: Car repairs rant</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Car repairs rant : I have no advice for OP, but for you I'd recommend just getting a new (used) car. I bought my Honda for $6000 and I've been driving it for over 10 years now.
    Posted by azdancer8[/QUOTE]

We've already have three opinions. Fiance took it back to the mechanic he trusts.

Getting another car isn't really an option...we just bought the car a month ago. Unfortunately from a private seller and we are past the whole 30 day rule. We looked into it. The car is modified and really made more for performance so a new motor is 1.) hard to come by and 2.) not cheap.

My fiance can swap the motor out himself, he's done it before, but its mostly the motor we are paying for and not so much labor. And the amount of time it would take him to do it - it's easier just to have the mechanic do it.

Its funny you say that because I had a honda before we bought the new (well used) car. I LOVED my Honda. I was going home one day and some girl blew threw a stop sign and I hit her passenger side head on and my car was totaled. I ended up taking our SUV and my fiance bought the new car. UGH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards