Snarky Brides
Options

Recycling and conservation

13»

Re: Recycling and conservation

• Options
    Les, I bought H one of those can crushers for Christmas. He just put it up last night and it's awesome.

I actually hate showering too. But that's because I'm lazy. Part of what keeps me in bed each morning after the alarm is having to get ready, which I also hate (and I don't even put on makeup). My nighttime routine is annoying too since I have to deal with the contacts.

I just want to be magically clean and ready for bed/work without having to do so myself.
  • Options
    We can do beer bottles, cans, wine bottles, liquor bottles (of all sizes) and they are all worth varying amounts, 10-20 cents per piece
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Nebb, not here, we just recycle our cans. ETA: and bottles (plastic and glass)
  • Options
    Nebb- I think only 8 states or less have can and bottle deposit. We do, but we just leave them out for the bums, taking them back is always a pain from where we are.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    We have our heat on and I have it at 73 right now, im frigging freezing. I also have a long sleeve shirt, a hoodie, a blanket on my lap and a blanket around my shoulders. I am generally cold.
  • Options
    We shower together once a week. My building doesn't recycle, so we take as much as we can to work to put in the compacted there. We recycle cans/plastic/glass and bring to Safeway to cash in. A turns the water off when he brushes his teeth, I turn it down to a trickle. I like to rinse my toothbrush off. I would never turn the water off in the shower. It gets too cold. I don't pay for water though.
  • Options
    We never turn our heat below 71, I just cant handle anything lower. I also usually have my space heater on too lol Im terrible
  • Options
    I wish I could do that, Koda.  But I'm pretty sure I would freeze to death if we turned off the heat when it was 10 degrees outside overnight ;)

Nebb, only a few states do that still.  But I think most places will give you cash for aluminum.  We don't drink enough pop to make it worth it to save them, though. (And we always buy bottled beer.)
  • Options
    I bitched at Scott last week because he kept turning on the heat when he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.  Now he's been putting on socks and a sweater before turning on the heater so I guess he learned!
  • Options
    During the winter our house goes between 65 and 68. We got a nice little infrared heater from my parents for downstairs and that stays in 70 since nursing is a biitch when it's cold.
  • Options
    We usually keep our heat at 68 when we're home but down to about 63 when we're out or going to bed.  I would lvoe to turn it up higher but Fi would not be pleasant to sleep with if it got that warm.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_recycling-conservation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a5e4e1a3-ca15-4353-b4f8-ddf0092afcb7Post:535b03c1-6f2c-4b7b-bc6b-8468f5d91bcc">Re: Recycling and conservation</a>:
    [QUOTE]I bitched at Scott last week because he kept turning on the heat when he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.  Now he's been putting on socks and a sweater before turning on the heater so I guess he learned!
    Posted by kimheartsscott[/QUOTE]

Can you come teach my H that trick please?  He bitches that he's cold when he's sitting around the house in his boxers.  Uh, maybe put some clothes on?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    Adamar, it blew my mind when I realized he was doing it.  Like, dude, common sense.  Or go sit upstairs on your laptop where its carpeted and warmer anyway!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_recycling-conservation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a5e4e1a3-ca15-4353-b4f8-ddf0092afcb7Post:860df255-d583-4ff0-8e5d-8f99c6f9754a">Re: Recycling and conservation</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have our heat on and I have it at 73 right now, im frigging freezing. I also have a long sleeve shirt, a hoodie, a blanket on my lap and a blanket around my shoulders. I am generally cold.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

<div>Sounds like me right now!</div>
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    in Michigan you can return any carbonated beverage container for 10 cents a can/bottle (which most everyone DOES because you have to PAY the extra 10 cents at time of purchase).

I think it would be fantastic if they put a deposit on EVERY kind of bottle (including water bottles). Homeless people go around parks collecting deposit bottles as it is, so the only bottles you see littering parks/streets are gatorade and water bottles. Seems pretty logical to me....
  • Options
    We keep our house at approx 17 C and heat it mostly by wood burning stoves. I love having a colder house, being hot is so gross to me. I spent 70% of our honeymoon in the air conditioned room.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_recycling-conservation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a5e4e1a3-ca15-4353-b4f8-ddf0092afcb7Post:bc09a136-0e9e-4fb2-934a-19cad57ab576">Re: Recycling and conservation</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wish I liked being cold. It would be cheaper for sure.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

Unless you live somewhere really hot! cause I know my air conditioning bill would be hhuuuge
  • Options
    cardmonstacardmonsta member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a great recycling program in our town, and I'm a fairly awesome recycler to begin with. We don't need to sort anything, so it all goes into a bin and it includes everything - cardboard, plastic, glass, tin, packing supplies (styrofoam), plastic bags, etc. It's fantastic.

We have great natural lighting in the house so we don't have to turn any lights on until it gets dark, so that saves us a ton of money. And, we don't need an AC because the house is really airy and breezy.  I think we keep the heat at 70 in the winter, though. Oops.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards