Snarky Brides
Options

Cut off ages

When I was getting ready for work this morning I had on The Today Show in the background and they were doing a piece on cut off ages for when women should stop wearing mini-skirts, bikinis and stillettos etc.

So, what do you think should be the cut off ages for things like that? Do you think there should be cut off ages for other things like drivers licenses, having kids, having long hair? Is there any other things you can think of that should or even shouldn't have an age limit attached to them?

(This is going to be a a P&R, but I'll be back to check in a little while.)

Re: Cut off ages

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:56717d05-9e72-45af-8ba6-0033ec716db4">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE] FYI - Here is the voting results of the average cut off ages for each thing from The Today Show: Bikinis: 47 Posted by LessThanZero[/QUOTE]

I doubt I'll be wearing a bikini past age 40, especially if I have children. VS has the cutest one-pieces, too.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    Oh good. TK's Friday the 13th fuckups are in full swing. Ugh.
  • Options
    OK, this is a P&R, but people have cut-off ages for ponytails and long hair? I've...never even considered this. Why shouldn't women have longer hair once they're past 50?
  • Options
    I kind of feel like all of this stuff is on a case by case basis. If a woman is rocking one of the items listed above, I tend not to notice her age. If a woman looks awkward in those items and shows it, she'd probably be ore comfortable in something else. And miniskirts are NMS in any situation, so pretty much any time I see somebody wearing one of those, I wish she was wearing something of a more classy length.

Age cut-offs kind of remind me of talking to my SIL, who more or less believes that everyone over 55 should be shipped off to some sort of containment camp.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    I'll be honest as long as they can pull it off I dont care. But I have seen older women try and dress like their teenage daughters and it doesnt look good.

He'll if I had Jen Anistons legs, I'd surely be showing them off.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:e8db6b0f-9c72-4d87-b155-72dbb8a9e745">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]I kind of feel like all of this stuff is on a case by case basis. If a woman is rocking one of the items listed above, I tend not to notice her age. If a woman looks awkward in those items and shows it, she'd probably be ore comfortable in something else. And miniskirts are NMS in any situation, so pretty much any time I see somebody wearing one of those, I wish she was wearing something of a more classy length. <strong>Age cut-offs kind of remind me of talking to my SIL, who more or less believes that everyone over 55 should be shipped off to some sort of containment camp.
    </strong>Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

Damn, I'm glad she wouldnt get her way, I'd miss my DH in a few years! And how old is this SIL?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:8023f3a1-6706-4925-8d70-7446e1004c47">Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]When I was getting ready for work this morning I had on The Today Show in the background and they were doing a piece on cut off ages for when women should stop wearing mini-skirts, bikinis and stillettos etc. So, what do you think should be the cut off ages for things like that? Do you think there should be cut off ages for other things like drivers licenses, having kids, having long hair? Is there any other things you can think of that should or even shouldn't have an age limit attached to them? (This is going to be a a P&R, but I'll be back to check in a little while.)
    Posted by LessThanZero[/QUOTE]

I know some places make you re-test every year for your driver's license past age 80 or so...I think that's good for safety.  I don't think they should completely cut you off at any age unless you demonstrate that you are an unsafe driver (or have a health condition impairing your driving).

I don't believe there should be a cut-off age for the rest of it, we should be able to rock it as long as we want to!  I plan on keeping my long hair forever, so anyone saying otherwise can suck it.  I'm not a miniskirt or stiletto person but props to those who are and they shouldn't be restricted from it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:f081c234-7ffb-48f4-aab6-50627d55ac55">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cut off ages : Damn, I'm glad she wouldnt get her way, I'd miss my DH in a few years! And how old is this SIL?
    Posted by kd.joseph[/QUOTE]

She's.... 28? She's nuts. I get along pretty well with her most of the time, although we've had some real knock-down drag-out fights because she can be so dogmatic, but everybody in my parents' families in their generation can't stand her. I think it's partially because my family is kind of closed-off and she's like a bull in a china shop, but I also think her ageism is pretty evident most of the time. I'm kind of looking forward to introducing her to FMIL the week of the wedding to get her perspective, since she's very different from my parents.

My dad keeps jokingly begging me to make sure she's never in charge of whether he ends up in a home or not, and I keep telling him that she'd put him there next week if she could.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    I think anyone 70 or 75 and older should have to retest for their driver's license every two years. It's not a prejudice, I just know that I've been almost run off the road by the elderly more times than I can count, and it scares me. And that's not just down here in SoFlo (the retirement capitol of the USA) but also when I lived back in Seattle and in Hawaii as well.
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:9f323ceb-4dfa-46da-b797-b727968aea2b">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cut off ages : Hello My Love! And I agree no one should wear anything with writing on their a$$. Or leggings, unless what you are wearing them with covers your butt!

Hey I like wearing sweats with writing on my a$$, it distracts FI from everything he is doing and its hilarious.

If I have a great a$$ and want to show it off I should be able to do it!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:a0ac0931-fc48-4b76-aff0-ab7a740561f6">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wear VS sweatpants with PINK on the bum, they're really cute. And I agree about the leggings thing. I think leggings can be cute on almost every body type, so long as the wearer's shirt covers their bum and their ladybits. <strong>I don't need to see camel-toe, thanks.
    </strong>Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]

Omg ew.  Agree.
  • Options
    marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2011
    UGH! Why does this place have to be so stupid all the time? I really don't understand why it's so hard to run a message board without these damn errors all the time. I'm pretty sure a monkey with two fingers up its ass could do a better job. Fuuck you, TK.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:c423de0a-0573-4254-95d3-9941e9f2a7e6">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think anyone 70 or 75 and older should have to retest for their driver's license every two years. It's not a prejudice, I just know that I've been almost run off the road by the elderly more times than I can count, and it scares me. And that's not just down here in SoFlo (the retirement capitol of the USA) but also when I lived back in Seattle and in Hawaii as well.
    Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]

I agree with this so hard. My mother is only 72 but I know she has seizures and I basically made her stop driving and sell her car. She scares the begezzus out of me, not just for her but others.

@Sarah- Just wait till she gets to be 48, I'm sure her perspective will change. But she sounds like...er, fun!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:228cf83b-0990-45ed-9f95-d5031593767a">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've got to say I agree with the cutoff on driving or retest after a certain age on driving.  I have seen so many elderly people get out of their cars and I wonder, "How do they have the reaction time to drive?"  <strong>I've also got to say no sandals after a certain age.  Ick. 
    </strong>Posted by Meg1979[/QUOTE]

I agree with covering up if you do not take care of yourself and are gross.  So I understand where you're coming from on the sandals since I've seen a lot of older people fail hard in that dept.

I am mani/pedi for life though, so I'll be rocking sandals well into the grave. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:ebd861c8-96f1-4a13-99ee-3ebebf675c4c">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]UGH! Why does this place have to be so stupid all the time? I really don't understand why it's so hard to run a message board without these damn errors all the time. I'm pretty sure a monkey with two fingers up its ass could do a better job. Fuuck you, TK.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

Agree!  I'm in IT.  It's not hard.  It's very easy to do properly, see Google for example. 

The reason TK sucks is because they are being <a href="mailto:cheap-@$$es">cheap-@$$es</a> and using cheap crappy old servers that do not have sufficient space to host the site properly.  That's the problem. 

They probably also program the site using Windows ME or some other such nonsense.

#ITFAIL
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:c598b0bd-2a94-42df-81ad-ea9152560eb4">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll be honest as long as they can pull it off I dont care. But I have seen older women try and dress like their teenage daughters and it doesnt look good. He'll if I had Jen Anistons legs, I'd surely be showing them off.

Exactly! Tina Turner still has hot legs and she is up there. I would still show off my legs if they were hot. If I were Jennifer Aniston, I would show off my legs, long hair and a bikini. I feel like if you are of a certain age and still look good, why not?
    The hair thing is a bit odd to me because some people just look better with long or with short hair.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
  • Options
    Hiya, KD :) I agree with Mehg on the testing. A lot of elderly people live in my complex and just driving through the parking lot is an adventure. I agree with Sarah about mini skirts. I'm just not into super short stuff over all and I think a skirt closer to the knees is more classic and sexy. So I don't really judge that by age. The same goes for Juicy sweats. No one should wear those. Ever.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No there shouldn't be an age cut off on mini skirts, steletto's and such,  but a weight limit please!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:e3f0955a-292d-4b19-b39b-23970a64263a">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hiya, KD :) I agree with Mehg on the testing. A lot of elderly people live in my complex and just driving through the parking lot is an adventure. I agree with Sarah about mini skirts. I'm just not into super short stuff over all and I think a skirt closer to the knees is more classic and sexy. So I don't really judge that by age. The same goes for Juicy sweats. No one should wear those. Ever.
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

Hello My Love!

And I agree no one should wear anything with writing on their a$$. Or leggings, unless what you are wearing them with covers your butt!
  • Options
    I wear VS sweatpants with PINK on the bum, they're really cute.

And I agree about the leggings thing. I think leggings can be cute on almost every body type, so long as the wearer's shirt covers their bum and their ladybits. I don't need to see camel-toe, thanks.
    Photobucket
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I agree about the licenses, Mehg.

I would think it's a case by case basis too. Obviously, we see celebrities at the age of 60 who still dress like they're 30 and they seem to be the exception.

FYI - Here is the voting results of the average cut off ages for each thing from The Today Show:

Bikinis: 47
    Miniskirts: 35
    Stilettos: 51
    Knee-high boots: 47
    Leggings: 45
    Tight vest: 44
    See-through blouse: 40
    Long hair: 53
    Ponytail: 51

I don't think a see-through blouse ok anytime really. And a tight vest? As opposed to a baggy one?
  • Options
    I've got to say I agree with the cutoff on driving or retest after a certain age on driving.  I have seen so many elderly people get out of their cars and I wonder, "How do they have the reaction time to drive?" 

I've also got to say no sandals after a certain age.  Ick. 
    White Knot Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:2856b1be-e97d-4862-9552-c24fad710661">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]No there shouldn't be an age cut off on mini skirts, steletto's and such,  but a weight limit please!
    Posted by mob2689[/QUOTE]

Oh boy.

So what should the weight limit be for someone to wear stilettos?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:aaa7288d-22bc-4aeb-a3ab-64312c668560">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cut off ages : Hey I like wearing sweats with writing on my a$$, it distracts FI from everything he is doing and its hilarious. If I have a great a$$ and want to show it off I should be able to do it!
    Posted by kgettingmarried[/QUOTE]

There in lies the problem, you may have a great a$$, but most I see dont. Plus the women around here have them folded over 4 times and slouching off their butt with their UGGS on, not a good look.
  • Options
    K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    I'm inclined to say, no age cut off and people should dress how they feel comfortable. But in reality, seeing someone into their 50s or 60s wearing a tight little dress that's short and low cut makes me cringe. Or even 30+ year olds running around trying to look 16. I don't see what the big deal is with dressing in age appropriate clothing. There's plenty of cute and even sexy outfits you can buy that won't look like you just raided you daughter's or granddaughter's closet.

That being said, to each is own. I may cringe, but it's that person's prerogative to wear what they want. People probably cringe at my lazy weekend attire of jeans, flip flops and t-shirts. I also think if someone over the "weight limit" feels confident and sexy enough to rock a cute little skirt and heels, go for it. I wouldn't, but my insecurities with my body should have no bearing on how other people feel about themselves.

Photobucket
  • Options
    marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:c423de0a-0573-4254-95d3-9941e9f2a7e6">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think anyone 70 or 75 and older should have to retest for their driver's license every two years. It's not a prejudice, I just know that I've been almost run off the road by the elderly more times than I can count, and it scares me. And that's not just down here in SoFlo (the retirement capitol of the USA) but also when I lived back in Seattle and in Hawaii as well.
    I agree with you so much on this. So much. My grandfather is almost 83, but a very young 83. After my grandma died, he insisted on driving to Florida, I think he was about 80. By himself. From Indiana. With a dog in the car. And he drives a huge car, so basically it's like death on wheels. He did it one year, and after that the family put our collective foot down and told him no. He understood but he was stubborn as all hell about it. And even if he is a very young and sprightly 83, he does not need to drive that far by himself. Ever.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:a0ac0931-fc48-4b76-aff0-ab7a740561f6">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wear VS sweatpants with PINK on the bum, they're really cute. And I agree about the leggings thing. I think leggings can be cute on almost every body type, so long as the wearer's shirt covers their bum and their ladybits. I don't need to see camel-toe, thanks.

Speaking of...Did anyone see Real Housewives on NY last night? HOLYCRAP!  Sonia's ass was all out on display...Literally! It was narsty!
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:472bd6b9-8e87-47ee-98a0-4b2ae901eaea">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cut off ages : Speaking of...Did anyone see Real Housewives on NY last night? HOLYCRAP!  <strong>Sonia's ass was all out on display...Literally! It was narsty!</strong>
    Posted by Denise91980[/QUOTE]
    Yes, that was just gross. And I hate Ramona...HATE!<div>
    </div><div>As for the age cut off, or weight limit, I don't care what other people wear. I'd like to say that if I see something gross, I don't look, but I do. I also silently judge them, but I'm sure there are things that I do that are also judgeworthy. I refuse to believe that a woman who looks likes her legs have been in a terrible hail storm doesn't know that she has cellulite. If she wants to still rock the mini skirt, then far be it from me to tell her not to do it. I'll look, then I'll silently cringe and I'll move on.</div><div>
    </div><div>I have one rule for men, I don't think they should ever EVER leave the house in sweatpants. And men who leave the house in sweatpants, with no underwear, well shame shame on you. </div>
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:b0a35bae-86ff-4a77-bd82-16aace1495e1">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cut off ages : Yes, that was just gross. And I hate Ramona...HATE! As for the age cut off, or weight limit, I don't care what other people wear. I'd like to say that if I see something gross, I don't look, but I do. I also silently judge them, but I'm sure there are things that I do that are also judgeworthy. <strong>I refuse to believe that a woman who looks likes her legs have been in a terrible hail storm doesn't know that she has cellulite.</strong> If she wants to still rock the mini skirt, then far be it from me to tell her not to do it. I'll look, then I'll silently cringe and I'll move on. I have one rule for men, I don't think they should ever EVER leave the house in sweatpants. And men who leave the house in sweatpants, with no underwear, well shame shame on you. 
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

I love this visual. You are funny. And I also dont like when men wear the decorative Pj pants with their fav team, etc. all over it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cut-off-ages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a6f5ffe0-d161-48d9-963e-d4fd2d8ee71dPost:b0a35bae-86ff-4a77-bd82-16aace1495e1">Re: Cut off ages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cut off ages : Yes, that was just gross. And I hate Ramona...HATE! As for the age cut off, or weight limit, I don't care what other people wear. I'd like to say that if I see something gross, I don't look, but I do. I also silently judge them, but I'm sure there are things that I do that are also judgeworthy. I refuse to believe that a woman who looks likes her legs have been in a terrible hail storm doesn't know that she has cellulite. If she wants to still rock the mini skirt, then far be it from me to tell her not to do it. I'll look, then I'll silently cringe and I'll move on. <strong>I have one rule for men, I don't think they should ever EVER leave the house in sweatpants.</strong> And men who leave the house in sweatpants, with no underwear, well shame shame on you. 
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

What if they are going to the gym or outside for some excercise?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards