Snarky Brides
Options

Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid

We have neighbor kids behind us, teenagers.  They have taken to running through our yard, frequently, playing cops and robbers, ect.  We have asked them to knock it off, told the mother to tell the kids to knock it off.  They ignore us when we tell them as they walk through, or just shrug.  They walk right next to the cars, right by the house, pretty much anywhere they feel like.

These are also the same neighbor kids that a few years ago tagged our garage door and broke a bunch of old windows in the front yard (not the new ones that were put in that day, thankfully).  We have a sour taste in our mouth about them anyway.

What did you do when you were a kid?  Run through yards, regardless of whether you had permission to be in the yard or not.  Are we old married farts because we don't want them in our yard?  Get over it, they're just kids?

Re: Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid

• Options
    We had fences around our yards. But even now, as an adult, I never walk on grass (private or public) unless I absolutely have to. It's just rude.
  • Options
    I ran through people's yards all the time.  If I wanted to get smacked.

Seriously, these are TEENAGERS?  They need a good swift kick in the pants.

• Options
    I took option 3, but there are disclaimers. My grandmother and aunt and uncle lived right across the road. Their land, houses, garages etc were free reign. We played anywhere on family land that we wanted to, unless we were expressly forbidden to be there. We pretty much stayed off of other people's land unless we were playing with their kids or checked in with them first. This was mostly a safety concern because people had guns and we didn't want to startle them. 

My friends who lived in town never went in their neighbor's yards because they were afraid of them. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Well, our only neighbors were my grandparents and we were all on the same property, so it didn't really matter. The only place we didn't go was my grandfather's garden.

Can you put up a fence? When kids come onto my parents' property my stepdad is out there lecturing them. And he can be scary when he wants to be. Or maybe you could talk to their parents? If things are being broken and your home is being vandalized then they need to know that their children are a-holes and you won't stand for it.
  • Options
    Its a respect thing, they dont respect you and probably dont respect their parents. I honestly dont think OUR generation was like that, for the most part. We also werent used to getting our own way all the time like kids are now a days either.
  • Options
    I wouldn't let them run through your yard. Are you allowed to put up a fence? I would advise it because it's a liability issue, if a kid runs through your yard and trips on a tree root or gets injured or something I think the family could sue you for damages. We had neighbors behind us who would always cut through our yard because we lived on the street with the Catholic church and cutting through our yard was much easier than walking/driving on the main road to get there. My parents put up a fence to prohibit them from walking through our yard and they were NOT too happy about it!
  • Options
    Ugh, I would have called the cops the 2nd or 3rd time it happened, but I'm bitter like that. I detest children and our neighbor kids are little gangstas.
  • Options
    My father had this same problem with neighbors.  He put in a sprinkler system and a warning sign saying "warning - private property"  Then whenever someone came in his yard, he'd turn the sprinklers on them.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poll-running-through-neighbors-yard-kid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8552573-bb04-4890-ab82-0ec04ee99142Post:f9bb86c1-e623-43dc-b0e3-946388e712e1">Re: Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid</a>:
    [QUOTE]My father had this same problem with neighbors.  He put in a sprinkler system and a warning sign saying "warning - private property"  Then whenever someone came in his yard, he'd turn the sprinklers on them.
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

I like this one.
  • Options
    I love your dad, anna. That is totally something my stepdad would do.
  • Options
    We have kids behind us that come into our yard all the time, and play in the creek next to our house. Their parents are never around, and I' worried about our liability if one of them has an accident.

And they let their dog run loose in our yard also, which we've asked them not to do, but they continue all the time. My DH has talked to them a few times, but they still do it.
  • Options
    We were always fenced in as well, but even with the nicest neighbours, I always went and rang the doorbell to ask if I could go through their yard. It was usually because I had lost a ball over the fence, and not because I wanted to run around back there, but still.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poll-running-through-neighbors-yard-kid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8552573-bb04-4890-ab82-0ec04ee99142Post:7a8c79f4-896d-47a5-b81a-0ffc20470450">Re: Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have kids behind us that come into our yard all the time, and <strong>play in the creek next to our house</strong>. Their parents are never around, and I' worried about our liability if one of them has an accident. And they let their dog run loose in our yard also, which we've asked them not to do, but they continue all the time. My DH has talked to them a few times, but they still do it.
    Posted by kd.joseph[/QUOTE]

Color me jealous.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poll-running-through-neighbors-yard-kid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8552573-bb04-4890-ab82-0ec04ee99142Post:60da85fb-6a82-4bc7-b96d-093cf96e2852">Re: Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid : Color me jealous.
    Posted by cupcakesfrosting[/QUOTE]

Oh it's not all its cracked up to be. But we love the wildlife we have here.

These kids like to play down there and catch the toads, but they have taken my suet feeder, and they leave things like Barbie boats in the creek. Then DH has to clean it up.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poll-running-through-neighbors-yard-kid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8552573-bb04-4890-ab82-0ec04ee99142Post:1d2792ac-7098-495c-8b57-40cacb0ca603">Re: Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid : Oh it's not all its cracked up to be. But we love the wildlife we have here. These kids like to play down there and catch the toads, but they have taken my suet feeder, and they leave things like Barbie boats in the creek. Then DH has to clean it up.

Oh, I bet.

My grandparents used to own a house in Tahoe (before my grandma's Heart Attack in '98), and we owned the land that the creek ran through too. It was gorgeous when it would snow, and the water would freeze over sometimes.. It was awesome.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mocha, if you know what house they live in, I would call the police next time they do it. They're trespassing, and obviously causing damage, and being a disturbance. At least then you would have it on record with the authorities, and they may take it a little more seriously if the police show up at their door.

ETA: For HORRIBLE spelling
  • Options
    New idea:  You are your H should buy some Nerf guns and go play in their yard.  Maybe he can rip the head off your Barbie and you can scream and whine outside their door.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poll-running-through-neighbors-yard-kid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8552573-bb04-4890-ab82-0ec04ee99142Post:c9ab8e8b-8f07-44f3-ac35-2813ee429e61">Re: Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love your dad, anna. That is totally something my stepdad would do.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

He's a cranky ol vet.  Probably grumbling something about how he didn't risk his life and sanity in 'Nam just  so some bastard kid can tear up his lawn.

But he's a softy if you're a sweet, polite kid.  He gives out great Halloween treats to the kids that aren't scared to knock on his door.  I think this year it's Cinnamon/brown sugar bear claws, the 99c size bags of Doritos, and Giant pickles as the choices and every kid gets a mini-soda.
  • Options
    Honestly, as a kid, it never crossed my mind that it was rude to go through my neighbors' yards.  Even now, we have kids that cut through our yard all the time, and I've never thought about that being rude, either.  It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

So my answer to your poll would be, "Yes, but no one ever asked me not to.  If they had asked me not to, I wouldn't have."
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • Options
    We've talked to the mom, repeatedly, but she's in the military and hardly ever around.  There's a boyfriend, but he doesn't appear to give two shiits.

The neighbors on either side have a fence up already, so all we need is the back fence, which we'll definitely be doing come springtime, just didn't have the money the last few summers to put it up, or the time.  But, we've seen the kids scale the neighbors 6 foot fence a few times, so who knows what good that will do.

We have hesitated to call the cops, mostly because we don't want any retaliation.  They were bragging themselves up in school when they tagged our garage and other garages in the neighborhood, we found out from another neighbor girl that is in their class.  I think we'll just start calling the cops and see if that does it a few times.

Stupid hoodlum kids.  I feel old.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poll-running-through-neighbors-yard-kid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8552573-bb04-4890-ab82-0ec04ee99142Post:e5f4c37e-27ee-4693-97ab-20c719f39332">Re: Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid</a>:
    [QUOTE]We've talked to the mom, repeatedly, but she's in the military and hardly ever around.  There's a boyfriend, but he doesn't appear to give two shiits. The neighbors on either side have a fence up already, so all we need is the back fence, which we'll definitely be doing come springtime, just didn't have the money the last few summers to put it up, or the time.  But, we've seen the kids scale the neighbors 6 foot fence a few times, so who knows what good that will do. We have hesitated to call the cops, mostly because we don't want any retaliation.  They were bragging themselves up in school when they tagged our garage and other garages in the neighborhood, we found out from another neighbor girl that is in their class.  I think we'll just start calling the cops and see if that does it a few times. Stupid hoodlum kids.  I feel old.
    Posted by mocha beans[/QUOTE]

I hate to say the end would justify the means, but if they DO retaliate, you could technically have them arrested for destruction of private property, ESPECIALLY if you have it on record that this has happend multiple times. The parents would be fined, and most likely would have to pay for the damage. I'm just sayin'.. It MAY end up worth the hassle.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poll-running-through-neighbors-yard-kid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8552573-bb04-4890-ab82-0ec04ee99142Post:e5f4c37e-27ee-4693-97ab-20c719f39332">Re: Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid</a>:
    [QUOTE]We've talked to the mom, repeatedly, but she's in the military and hardly ever around.  There's a boyfriend, but he doesn't appear to give two shiits. The neighbors on either side have a fence up already, so all we need is the back fence, which we'll definitely be doing come springtime, just didn't have the money the last few summers to put it up, or the time.  But, we've seen the kids scale the neighbors 6 foot fence a few times, so who knows what good that will do. We have hesitated to call the cops, mostly because we don't want any retaliation.  They were bragging themselves up in school when they tagged our garage and other garages in the neighborhood, we found out from another neighbor girl that is in their class.  I think we'll just start calling the cops and see if that does it a few times. Stupid hoodlum kids.  I feel old.

I think once you put up the rest of the fence and post no trespassing signs you'll have a better chance of getting something done.
  • Options
    Ha!  And it would be funnier, now that it's getting a tit bit nipply outside.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poll-running-through-neighbors-yard-kid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8552573-bb04-4890-ab82-0ec04ee99142Post:58862533-9b9c-43ba-b125-afef9a57637a">Re: Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid : How would we go about proving that those kids did anything though?  Would it have to be on camera?  Or would they just go off the fact that we've called them in a few times, and assume the kids did it, if they would end up doing anything in the first place?

I think, you could call to make a complaint, and say you know for sure it's the kids that live at 1212 Main St. and explain you've talked to them, AND their mother before about it. You were just wondering if the police could go and remind them that trespassing on private property is illegal, I think the police would.

Then every time thereafter, the police would have a record of you calling on 11/2, 11/8, whenever. If the kids do retaliate, and there is documentation that you've complained before, you should be able to have them arrested and you can press charges.
  • Options
    I pick 1, but to clarify it was one neighbor and they had no children and a dog and we would bring our dog over and play with both dogs and they would pay us to do it so their dog would be used to kids and not be so hyper.
    The last flower to bloom is often the most beautiful Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I chose #1, but with a disclaimer.  We went through the front yards of people we knew, where our friends lived.  There were certain yards we avoided, simply because they were elderly people who didn't want kids tromping through, and we respected that.  If we were told not to go somewhere, we didn't go.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I played in our neighbors yard.  I was invited to at one point.  I wouldn't have asked nor done it without permission. 
  • Options
    There was no option for me.

We ran through yards all the time, but we would never run through if the owners told us not to.  Most of the time, we ran around the edges that were nearest to the woods, since most of our homes bordered various stretches of woods and those were the shortcuts to get anywhere.

If someone told us to stop, we would.  Teenagers are a differnt story, though. 
  • Options
    I didn't answer either. We lived in a huge apartment complex that had 2 playgrounds.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_poll-running-through-neighbors-yard-kid?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8552573-bb04-4890-ab82-0ec04ee99142Post:7a8c79f4-896d-47a5-b81a-0ffc20470450">Re: Poll: Running through the neighbors' yard as a kid</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have kids behind us that come into our yard all the time, and play in the creek next to our house. Their parents are never around, and I' worried about our liability if one of them has an accident. And they let their dog run loose in our yard also, which we've asked them not to do, but they continue all the time. My DH has talked to them a few times, but they still do it.

<div>I just don't get that. I'm sure they'll be screaming for your insurance company if one of their kids gets hurt, too.</div>
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards