Snarky Brides
Options

Davids Bridal alterations?

Are they as crazy price-gougy as they appear?  They're wanting to charge me $65 to cut off a length of jersey on a BM dress and hem it under.  THATS IT.  I don't do a whole lot of tailoring so this seems somewhat excessive for something I could do in five minutes with a sewing machine.  (you know...if I had a sewing machine.  Because then we wouldn't be having this conversation.)  I'm wondering if I took it to a regular tailor if it would be less. 

Also, tell me Davids Bridal horror stories just because I hate them right now.  

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."

Re: Davids Bridal alterations?

• Options
    I was going to pickle some cukes this summer, but then I got lazy and didnt. I really wish I had of now, I could go for some dill pickels right about now...
  • Options
    I almost had to walk out of one because we wanted to try on BM dresses and they were INSISTING I give them all my info (phone number, address, work phone and address?!) AND FI's info.  I told them if it was necessary for them to have all that info just for my two BMs to try on a couple dresses we'd go elsewhere.  They had a huddle and conferred with three different salespeople before they decided they'd let the girls try on dresses without stealing my identity.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    The alterations place at the mall charged me about $13 to do the same thing. 

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Mmmm pickles. 

I'm very happ that the early consensus is that we hate them.   (DB, not pickles)

Also, hi everyone!

• Options
    I hate dill pickles. Ew. A few years ago I had to get a BM dress from Davids and spent $60 at the local dry cleaner to get it hemmed and taken in at the waist. Davids would have cost me more than the dress cost to get it altered.

I just paid for my wedding dress alterations the other day. $250 for taking in the bust and waist, hemming (with lace overlay/applique, which means hand rolling and deconstructing at the waist) and the bustle. This was NOT at Davids. My friend (prior wedding) paid that much for her alterations at DB, and it was just the waist and bustle... in 2004.

If you can take it anywhere else, or have a friend that sews, don't do it at David's. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I have to be honest I have never seen a davids bridal before. One of the perks of being canadian. Another perk? You can really cash in at water fountains because people can throw 1 & 2 dollars in. Cant do that in the US.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I hate David's Bridal and I hate the fact that I got my bridesmaids and flower girl dresses there and hate the fact that I have to deal with their bullshit.

When we were shopping for bridesmaid dresses and not all the girls were there to try dresses on (we werent going to buy without everyone deciding) the sales girl was just really pushy.  She said like "well, the dresses can take 12 weeks to get here, and it's another 6 weeks for alterations."  18 weeks for a fucking dress!?  I snapped at her "Well, if they do take that long, we can order them and then just take them somewhere else to get them altered."

Alter your dresses somewhere else.  I paid more to get my bridesmaid dress altered for my sister's wedding last year than I actually paid for the dress itself.

Plus, the sons of bitches SOLD MY PHONE NUMBER to some company trying to scam me into believing I won some bridal package. 

David's Bridal can suck my diick.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_davids-bridal-alterations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8f9875c-a327-4765-bf10-7fc6da167cd3Post:c0823bd6-b03b-476c-a6f4-649ac5a364a5">Re: Davids Bridal alterations?</a>:
    [QUOTE] David's Bridal can suck my diick.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

And your armpit?
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_davids-bridal-alterations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8f9875c-a327-4765-bf10-7fc6da167cd3Post:7668231b-f358-4d13-96f8-ab738efda208">Re: Davids Bridal alterations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Davids Bridal alterations? : And your armpit?
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

YES SUCRETS.

<strong>And </strong>my armpit.  My sweaty, hairy, legendary armpit.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_davids-bridal-alterations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8f9875c-a327-4765-bf10-7fc6da167cd3Post:cfd77690-334c-4c07-86b1-1cb50861ee31">Re: Davids Bridal alterations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to be honest I have never seen a davids bridal before. One of the perks of being canadian. <strong>Another perk? You can really cash in at water fountains because people can throw 1 & 2 dollars in. Cant do that in the US.</strong>
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

lol!

• Options
    Yes, they sold my number to Men's Wearhouse.  I called them and really laid into them.  I felt a whole lot better.  Then MW called me again the next week.

• Options
    Sucrets, that is a awesome box baby you have there!

• Options
    I got my dress there, and didn't get great service, but price was most important to me, and I was able to buy something for $250. So I'm happy enough w/that. I'm not getting it altered there. All I would need is a hem and bustle for a super simple, charmeuse-y, not poofy dress, and it was going to cost $125.

I actually don't even want the train on the dress, but they won't cut off a train. I'm going somewhere else and will probably pay around $30. That's if I decide to get cups sewn in.
  • Options
    I'm not saying that this post and me sitting here eating dill pickles are related, but I'm not saying they aren't either. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_davids-bridal-alterations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8f9875c-a327-4765-bf10-7fc6da167cd3Post:64241b99-db58-4a8f-a5fc-0e921e43dcd9">Re: Davids Bridal alterations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sucrets, that is a awesome box baby you have there!
    Posted by eastunder1[/QUOTE]

Why thank you!

DH posted this on FB with the caption "after a week of unpacking, we finally found out what was making all that noise." 

He's a funny one.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_davids-bridal-alterations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a8f9875c-a327-4765-bf10-7fc6da167cd3Post:c232961d-f384-4cac-97fb-9e9dd6617eb1">Re: Davids Bridal alterations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm super disappointed with DB. They pressure the sh!t out of you, and their after-sale service is non-existent. They didn't even call to tell me MY dress was in, they called to tell me my sister's BM dress, and when I picked it up, I was surprised to see all 3 dresses we ordered there. Then they rushed me to make an alterations appointment, reassuring me they'd call to remind me. Guess what? the only call I got was from a lady trying to reschedule me after the appointment came and went. So I will be finding a seamstress outside of DB. Plus they email me all the time, I've already requested they take me off thier list 3 times. Oh and dill pickles only if they're the giant ones. Itherwise I'm all about bread and butters!
    Posted by retro_bride09[/QUOTE]

Really?  Because I had to practically threaten their first borns to get them to leavemethefuckalone.  But I didn't give them any of my money.  Maybe they leave you alone after they get your money.

• Options
    I also claim stupidity in letting them do my alterations. My dress had a beaded lace overlay, so the hem alone was $100 because they had to re-attach the scalloped lace trim at the bottom after shortening it. When I tried it on after, the lace was coming up on one side at the bottom, showing a bit of the underlayer. The seamstress pulled it down and said it would relax after being steamed. Well, it didn't, and you can totally see it in my pictures. I really wish I had gone elsewhere.

Oh, and they made my boobs look weird too. So yes, don't use them if you can avoid it.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    i hate david's bridal and love dill pickles. eye to eye today, east.
  • Options
    I used a local seamstress who charged me waaaaaay too much, but I was kinda running out of time.  Who knows, I might have been better off going to DB!  lol

Oh, and my bustle ripped at the start of the ceremony, but that's because DH stepped on it as he flung me around the dance floor in a surprise move.  Thanks, DH.

• Options
    Yeah... DB. We know I love them, not at all. Good news is that the seamstress is doing a kickass job building a lining for the unfinished dress they delivered, and then refused to make right.
    AMA over 40
    Massive uterine fibroids removed 3/06
    BFP 1/11; MM/C discovered @ 10w, loss at 6w; Cytotec
    B/W 7/11 = normal CD3, FSH 8.9; 7DPO progesterone 1.7
    Three Clomid cycles, all BFN, Off to an RE for me...
    FSH=8.7 E2=30 AMH=1.8 HSG clear, SA=great
    Inj. IUI #1 12/9/11 BFN, Inj. IUI #2 1/6/12 BFN
    Inj. IUI #3 1/30/12 BFP!, HCG doubled through 6w, 7w u/s mm/c twins
    Lost our known donor to unplanned pregnancy
    Factor V Leiden, Hetero, symptomatic
    Op Hysteroscopy 5/12, removed scar tissue and uterine septum
    Doing Cryo-DE IVF and older child adoption (Home visit- Check!)
    Beautiful hatching 5-blast transfered 8/30
    BFP 9/7/12 EDD May 19, 2013, beta #1=291 beta #2=762 beta #3=7306
    Sneek peak u/s shows HB at 6w1d!!! 123bpm!
    Still have a HB at 18w0d!!! 142bpm! Grow, baby, grow!
    Great NT scan, but, placenta previa. Resolving!
    Labile Hypertension, placed on HBP meds to try to avoid pre-e
    A/S on 12/21/12, Petra's having a baby, it's the end of the world!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PGAL Siggy Challenge- Animal Hangovers!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "Petra, you are an obese 40+ year old. Stop jumping through these hoops. Just adopt already. There is no shame in that." -Deethebee
  • Options
    I know this goes against what you asked but I loved my experience with DB...dress, alterations, BM and FG dress.  But I guess I just got lucky!
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I bought my dress from DB but I will not be taking it there to get it altered. I will be going to a local seamstress that lots of local knotties have recommended.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards