Snarky Brides

Old Wives' Tales

2»

Re: Old Wives' Tales

• These are really fun!

I remember hearing if you wear a ring in the ring finger of your left hand that isn't an engagement ring, you'll never get married....so much for that one.

My personal fave is that an excessive amount of parsley in your diet can bring your period on.  And a parsley suppository is supposed to work even faster

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • OH, I just remembered another one. My mom used to tell me that the person who took the last roll from the basket on the table would be an old maid. Potential, albeit flawed, logic: The more bread the eat, the fatter you get, and therefore you won't get married.

OR, maybe my mom was just trying to keep me from eating that much bread.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I don't think these qualify as OWTs, but my dad used to tell me that playing with frogs was fine, unless they peed on me. Then I'd get warts. And that eating beets would give you heartworms. Also not an OWT, but every second born male child on my dad's side of the family is lefthanded.

I'm ridiculously superstitious, and do a bunch of dumb stuff. Like say "bread and butter" when FI and I are walking together and we get split by a post or something. I make him say it too. If you say "bread and butter" when you have to split, you'll be friends forever. I throw salt over my left shoulder when I spill it. And in my experience, death does come in threes.

Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_old-wives-tales?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:ac539598-27e1-4b90-8090-df9c75b49687Post:148c0403-e811-40ef-b888-32f1de04d9e2">Re: Old Wives' Tales</a>:
    [QUOTE]The one about whoever falls asleep 1st on wedding night will be the 1st to die
    Posted by loop0406[/QUOTE]
    Crap, I always fall asleep first!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic width=220>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've always been told that you're not allowed to make or eat red pasta sauce when you're on your period.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have not heard of the engagement ring one before. Damn! Pretty much all of my girlfriends have tried it on and my sister wears it for me while I'm cooking something where my hands will get really greasy or I need to handle meat.

But I did feel superstitious enough to never wear a ring on my left hand ring finger unless it was a wedding/engagement ring.

My grandma believed that idodine prevented infection in cuts and scrapes and I remember how badly it burned and yelling at her once when I was about 12 that I would just wash the cut in soap and water. She never tried to use the iodine on me again, after that.

I have been to one sweatlodge and found it profoundly spiritual and cleansing. I wish I could find another one around here. Actually, I probably could now that the interwebs are so much more prevalent than when I was in college!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Oh, and not really an old wives tale but I gre up with seven older brothers and they all  told me that french kissing was how girls got pregnant. And I actually believed them till I was 14 :[
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_old-wives-tales?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ac539598-27e1-4b90-8090-df9c75b49687Post:148c0403-e811-40ef-b888-32f1de04d9e2">Re: Old Wives' Tales</a>:
    [QUOTE]The one about whoever falls asleep 1st on wedding night will be the 1st to die
    Posted by loop0406[/QUOTE]

OMG. I already lost one husband. Keep telling fi that he can't ever die on me, I'm out of ring fingers now! (I wear the diamonds my late husband gave me on my right hand)...

Now I'm going to be popping valium with the champagne on our wedding night to be sure I fall asleep first, because it's usually him!

My best friend is Jewish and when she was pregnant her dad wanted her to wear a red string around her belly for the entire pregnancy to ward off the "evil eye"

I also believe bad things happen in 3's. I was dx'd with a rare auto immune disorder, crushed my ankle in a freak accident in which I actually ran myself over... and then my husband was killed.

6 months later my dad is dx'd with cancer (he's doing great now), I am dx'd with second auto-immune disease, and my aunt is dx'd alzheimers...

there are more of those 3's, but basically, it's like the bumpersticker my sister gave me

Sh*t Happens.
    But mostly to me, so don't worry.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_old-wives-tales?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ac539598-27e1-4b90-8090-df9c75b49687Post:545cb77a-68d3-4887-884a-0c4f89afe94e">Re: Old Wives' Tales</a>:
    [QUOTE]These are really fun! I remember hearing if you wear a ring in the ring finger of your left hand that isn't an engagement ring, you'll never get married....so much for that one. My personal fave is that an excessive amount of parsley in your diet can bring your period on.  And a parsley suppository is supposed to work even faster
    Posted by 526SadieSadie[/QUOTE]

I used to wear a ring on my ring finger when I was in middle/high school. The little old ladies at church used to give me all sorts of hell for it.

PA Dutch ppl believe its bad luck to leave a house through a different door then the one you entered. Nearly all my dad's siblings will not go out the front door if the entered through the back door even if it means walking the whole way around the house in a rain storm.

And I know this sounds like an OWT but its not - being around male, non castrated livestock on your period can put you in a dangerous situation. (Take it from an ag major) The hormones that put cows/sows/etc in heat are the same ones that we have and it can trigger them to ... yeah not cool.

I heard this last one at a bridal shower: For every ribbon you cut, that's one more baby you'll have.
    Mrs. Wiggins image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards