Snarky Brides
Options

Did anyone read Insurgent yet? I want to talk about it.

Obviously, there will be spoilers, if people have read and are ready to discuss. 

Re: Did anyone read Insurgent yet? I want to talk about it.

• Options
    noooo but I'm downloading it right now! I forgot it just came out.

I just finished the Maze Runner trilogy. I might need to go read a recap of Divergent so I don't get my desparate teenagers messed up ;)
  • Options
    I think you should at least read the last few chapters of Divergent before Insurgent. I wish I had, because I was a little confused.

I need to read the second two Maze Runner books. I was so upset at the end of the first one (Oh, God, Chuck) that I needed a break. I am a dork.
  • Options
    cheeseandricecheeseandrice member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2012
    That was totally me. I read each book in a day, but waited at least a week between each one.  I don't remember- do you have a Kindle? I can see if either are loanable (? lendable?)
  • Options
    I don't.  I can receive and convert any file and my ereader will accept it, but I think Kindle just sends them directly Kindle to Kindle, right?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_did-anyone-read-insurgent-yet-i-want-to-talk-about-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:acd3f641-2720-4114-b619-8ba5a047cf4cPost:6e89b100-ac32-4061-9fda-d743741d7aa5">Re: Did anyone read Insurgent yet? I want to talk about it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't.  I can receive and convert any file and my ereader will accept it, but I think Kindle just sends them directly Kindle to Kindle, right?
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah... I actually bought these, so no emailing the files ;)</div>
  • Options
    Damn the man. 

I might read those next or I might save them for a few months and read them on vacation.I might end up crying on the plane, though, which wouldn't be cool.
  • Options
    I didn't cry. I was too busy being pissed off. 
  • Options
    Okay, public anger I can deal with. I might save those, then.
  • Options
    I read it last week when it came out. I wish I knew when the next one was coming out already! I think I'll have to re-read both just before I read the next one when it eventually comes out, because there was definitely some stuff I had to google because I couldn't remember what they were referencing.
  • Options
    marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I read it. I was meh on it until the very very end. There was so much character development and lots of feelings. Not enough action.
  • Options
    I felt like there was a lot of action, but it was kind of pointless action from time to time. I mean, Tris was just running amok risking her life over and over. It wasn't hard to follow, but the character development felt off to me. Plus, there were too many rescue scenes for my liking.

Amanda, I was definitely scratching my head from time to time, trying to figure out what I was forgetting from the first book.

What did you guys think about the changing setting? On one hand, I liked that we got a better glimpse into the other factions. At the same time, some of it felt too forced or glossed over.

I really liked the end, though. I can't wait to find out how that all came about.
  • Options
    marateamaratea member
    I was having a hard time remembering where they were, ie which building. When I first read Divergent, I had an inkling that the fence wasn't to keep things out but to keep them in. I also didn't like that they introduced so many characters just to kill them off somewhat quickly. I still love that it's set in Chicago because it's very easy for me to picture everything since I'm familiar with Chicago.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_did-anyone-read-insurgent-yet-i-want-to-talk-about-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:acd3f641-2720-4114-b619-8ba5a047cf4cPost:c4aab8fd-1d92-43c1-9483-329c485dedc1">Re: Did anyone read Insurgent yet? I want to talk about it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was having a hard time remembering where they were, ie which building. When I first read Divergent, <strong>I had an inkling that the fence wasn't to keep things out but to keep them in</strong>. I also didn't like that they introduced so many characters just to kill them off somewhat quickly. I still love that it's set in Chicago because it's very easy for me to picture everything since I'm familiar with Chicago.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]
    Same, and I'm glad she went there with the story.

I was really annoyed with Four's mom coming into the story. I loved that it was a surprise twist (although I saw it coming), but I hated how Four magically reconciled with her, totally going against his characterization in the first novel, and then it turned out she was as untrustworthy as anyone with a brain could see. Also, I felt like that story was too glossed over in favor of scenes that could have been omitted.
  • Options
    CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I read it. 

And I totally agree with Mara about the whole "introducing new characters just to kill them off" thing.  When GRRM kills a character, it hurts, because you knew the character, and either loved or hated the character, and didn't see the death coming.  Here, it was basically one red shirted ensign after another. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_did-anyone-read-insurgent-yet-i-want-to-talk-about-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:acd3f641-2720-4114-b619-8ba5a047cf4cPost:2e697c72-1a0f-4664-a4de-e65b59116479">Re: Did anyone read Insurgent yet? I want to talk about it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did anyone read Insurgent yet? I want to talk about it. : Same, and I'm glad she went there with the story. I was really annoyed with Four's mom coming into the story. I loved that it was a surprise twist (although I saw it coming), but<strong> I hated how Four magically reconciled with her</strong>, totally going against his characterization in the first novel, and then it turned out she was as untrustworthy as anyone with a brain could see. Also, I felt like that story was too glossed over in favor of scenes that could have been omitted.

Yes, this really bugged me! I completely agree that it just seemed so out of character.

I didn't dislike Insurgent, but I think I enjoyed Divergent a lot more, mainly for the reasons Mara mentioned, with all of the feelings and character development. It just got a little too drawn out for me at some parts, and felt rushed in others that I would have liked to know more about
  • Options
    CellesCelles member
    Insurgent made me feel better about Divergent.  I felt like Tris was all "Oh, my parents just died saving me; I'm going to cuddle with my boyfriend now."  Insurgent makes it clear that she was really just in shock, which redeemed the end of Divergent for me. 

I feel like the last part of Divergent was far too rushed, and the first part of Insurgent was far too slow.  The story isn't bad, but I think the author needs to work on her pacing a bit.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_did-anyone-read-insurgent-yet-i-want-to-talk-about-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:acd3f641-2720-4114-b619-8ba5a047cf4cPost:c5a9339b-7f01-4651-930d-e60db5256ee1">Re: Did anyone read Insurgent yet? I want to talk about it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Insurgent made me feel better about Divergent.  I felt like Tris was all "Oh, my parents just died saving me; I'm going to cuddle with my boyfriend now." <strong> Insurgent makes it clear that she was really just in shock, which redeemed the end of Divergent for me.</strong>  I feel like the last part of Divergent was far too rushed, and the first part of Insurgent was far too slow.  The story isn't bad, but I think the author needs to work on her pacing a bit.
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]
    Yes, definitely.  Her struggle with accepting the death of her parents made much more sense. That's part of the reason Four's reconciliation with his mom was so annoying to me. After grieving for someone, only to find out they abandoned you with an abusive father who you admittedly ran away from to escape, how could you just begin trusting that person so quickly?

I always though Abnegation was the most interesting of the factions, so I thought that Evelyn's claims about being exiled were interesting. I really want to hear more about her and the factionless as a whole. 

I also really liked that the duality of characters was explored in this one, especially with Peter.
  • Options
    CellesCelles member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_did-anyone-read-insurgent-yet-i-want-to-talk-about-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:acd3f641-2720-4114-b619-8ba5a047cf4cPost:8874fd57-287f-486a-8726-3111af53492a">Re: Did anyone read Insurgent yet? I want to talk about it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Did anyone read Insurgent yet? I want to talk about it. : Yes, definitely.  Her struggle with accepting the death of her parents made much more sense. <strong>That's part of the reason Four's reconciliation with his mom was so annoying to me. After grieving for someone, only to find out they abandoned you with an abusive father who you admittedly ran away from to escape, how could you just begin trusting that person so quickly? </strong>I always though Abnegation was the most interesting of the factions, so I thought that Evelyn's claims about being exiled were interesting. I really want to hear more about her and the factionless as a whole. <strong> I also really liked that the duality of characters was explored in this one, especially with Peter.</strong>

I agree on both counts.  I also liked how Edward was shown to have a dark side of his own, so the conflict between him and Peter that Tris perceived as very one-sided in Divergent was actually more complicated than she realized.  I sympathized with Peter a little bit, in the end.  He became in training what Dauntless (Eric's Dauntless, not Four's Dauntless) expected him to be.

I did not see the twist with Caleb coming.
  • Options
    marateamaratea member
    I was really sad about the situation with Caleb.
  • Options
    As soon as Caleb joined Erudite, I was suspicious of him. I forget what specifically made me suspicious though (it wasn't jsut that he switched factions). I need to reread the two books to put it together, I think.

Celles, I agree about Edward. What a creep. I loved the bit about the eyepatch and the blue eye on it--it just seemed like a perfect little element to his twisted mind games.

I also loved the bit about the drugged bread in Amity. I hope she explores that more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards