Snarky Brides
Options

What do you get for Christmas?

This will be a P &R but I think will be interesting.

What do you Christmas gifts tend to be? House things? Clothes? Kitchen stuff? Frivolous things?

This year we are mostly getting house stuff, bathroom stuff (I'm running out of perfume) and a Ereader for me (frivolous).

I'm making sil a scarf and probably will get her some bath salts, and I have no clue about bil and mil. I'm making my dad a wrist magnet along with a little memorial for Ewok, and mom is getting a new glass water jug for the kitchen. 

Re: What do you get for Christmas?

• Options
    Usually books, house things or money.  Plus tons of chocolate and food in the stockings, we have huge stockings and just buy gifts for our one assigned person.  Except for grandma, she gives everyone something.
  • Options
    Last year I got an engraved iPod, FI got a Chimay Beer glass set (with beer). This year, we are giving ourselves a wedding and a honeymoon. Depending on processing time, the b-pics I took last night might be a Christmas present. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I usually get money from my inlaws and something I request from my parents, usually boots or a coat or something. This year I am getting Lasik surgery from my H, woot woot!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DH gets me several awesomely random things. I think he makes a list throughout the year and then gets things for me. Anitque print blocks, signed Wicked photos, vintage owl necklaces.. that sort of thing. Each thing he gives me is something I've mentioned during the year or something he stumbles upon and gets for me. He's the most amazing gift-giver I've ever met. Which is great, until I try to figure out gifts for him that are just as awesome and fall flat on my face every year.

My parents usually get me home improvement gift cards or cash. I think I broke my mom's heart the year I told her the creepy porcelain dolls she bought me every single year since birth will remain in a box in the attic because I hate them and they scare me. She kept asking why I didn't display them in my living room. The truth had to come out.

• Options
    I'm a horrible gift giver.  It's embarrassing. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_christmas-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b3378fe9-eaf6-4d76-999d-c2051fc336cbPost:30319362-5676-432e-a34f-6bad75d0777e">Re: What do you get for Christmas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a horrible gift giver.  It's embarrassing. 
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

I am too.  If my family wasn't cool with the idea of very specific gift lists, I'd be screwed.
  • Options
    Im not sure what I will GET, but I have asked for books, gift certs (clothing stores, spa), lush products, external harddrive, lomo camera, purses, weights. I dont really WANT for much right now, I have to admit that I forgot half of the stuff I asked for. I prefer to get gift cards and then go shopping on boxing day.
  • Options
    I have to BEG FI for gift lists.  Every once in awhile I'll be hit with inspiration for a surprise gift, but part of the problem is FI is the typical guy--if he wants something, he just buys it. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options

Yep, that's our problem, and with my family.  We generally don't want or need a ton, and when we do, we just buy it ourselves.  But this year I got a great idea for him that will be funny an inexpensive, so he'll be happy.

• Options
    My dear, bedridden Nanny has a serious HSN addiction, so I end up getting a lot of crap. House stuff since we got a house. I'm hoping to score H some Old Crow Medicine Show tickets this year.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I usually get perfume, some Victoria's Secret PINK stuff and random electronic items.  We usually go overboard, but this year we are keeping the gifts small and putting extra money into the wedding account.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My husband doesnt really GET me anything either, to be honest. I tell him the budget and then tell him exactly what to get me for appearances and then I just take the rest of the money left over shopping the next day. My birthday is on Christmas, so its a double whammy that Ive just morphed into a shopping spree.
  • Options
    Last year was our first x-mas together...we got each other our gym memberships because they are due on the 1st of February and cost $340 each...romantic I know.

My dad gave us cash. In DH's family we do a secret santa gift exchange between the 7 immediate family members.

This year we are doing the EXACT same thing except we are also getting ourselves a one night stay in Niagara on the Lake with a couples massage and a one night stay in Toronto for the night before we go to see my family in Montreal (also the night we are seeing a World Junior's Hockey Game!).
  • Options
    FI asked for a list of inspiration this year. So I told him I would love a new camera, and maybe a new bottle of perfume.. I'm almost out, so that sounds pretty practical.

My birthday is in a week too, so he asked for a list for that too. I told him the above, one for one holiday or whatever, but I really wanted a special birthday dinner.
  • Options
    I'll undoubtedly get kitchen items since it's the safe gift for me :)  Hopefully it'll be something fun because i really don't need another dutch oven or big crock pot or everyday serving dishes.  I wish I would get more "fun" stuff but people usually go practical for me.

H does pretty well at buying gifts. i have a cashmere sweater, earrings, necklaces, Eragon boxed book set, a boom box that i can use for radio or cds or my ipod( i love it so much and use it everyday while cooking and cleaning), and he throws in the occasional victoria's secret gc which is awesome since i have trouble validating spending excessive amounts of money on underthings.
  • Options
    Your birthday is on Christmas, Nebb? Do you love it or hate it?
     Mine is two days after, and I hate it. I'm all celebrated out by then.

I usually get practical things from my family, which I really prefer. The fun stuff I get usually consists of books and things from antique stores. I get H fun stuff, because he's a guy and practical is not fun for him.
      This year, it will be a telescope I've been saving up for and I might "buy" him a star. You can pay to name a star, and get a certificate and the coordinates.
  • Options
    I usually get money because everyone says im hard to buy for. I guess they figure if they just give me money I can get what I want/need.

I usually buy my mom something electronic or a gift card because she is impossible to buy for. I ask people what they want and then buy off their wishlist.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Most years, I just can never think of something that I really want for Christmas.  Usually from my hubby I get tickets to plays/broadway/philharmonic/mixology class/sailing lessons (anything that involves doing something).  Hubby knows that I always like that stuff and he is not the most talented gift-giver otherwise. This year, I really want an inexpensive, small and lightweight laptop that has Word on it.  I have a fantasy about writing a book.

From family, we usually do smaller things.  I love my mom's gifts which are usually a whole bunch of little things, like cute socks, books,  momentos of some sort, bath products, a funny ornament, etc.  Last year she gave me a beautiful book of sketches that she bought 40 years ago when she was backpacking in paris (which she probably found when cleaning out the closet)  and I loved it.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_christmas-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b3378fe9-eaf6-4d76-999d-c2051fc336cbPost:a619d255-a436-4f58-afbb-2d2a26b929b3">Re: What do you get for Christmas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your birthday is on Christmas, Nebb? Do you love it or hate it?  Mine is two days after, and I hate it. I'm all celebrated out by then. I usually get practical things from my family, which I really prefer. The fun stuff I get usually consists of books and things from antique stores. I get H fun stuff, because he's a guy and practical is not fun for him.   This year, it will be a telescope I've been saving up for and I might "buy" him a star. You can pay to name a star, and get a certificate and the coordinates.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]
    I USED to hate it, because I was always pissed off that my birthday got neglected, but Ive just turned christmas into one big amazing day at home so its just celebration regardless. I love christmas time because of it. Do you celebrate yours twice or just on christmas because its so close?
  • Options
    I'm all out of celebration by then. Usually H and I have some cake and call it a night.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_christmas-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b3378fe9-eaf6-4d76-999d-c2051fc336cbPost:a619d255-a436-4f58-afbb-2d2a26b929b3">Re: What do you get for Christmas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your birthday is on Christmas, Nebb? Do you love it or hate it?  Mine is two days after, and I hate it. I'm all celebrated out by then. I usually get practical things from my family, which I really prefer. The fun stuff I get usually consists of books and things from antique stores. I get H fun stuff, because he's a guy and practical is not fun for him.   This year, it will be a telescope I've been saving up for and I might "buy" him a star. You can pay to name a star, and get a certificate and the coordinates.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

H's legal birthday is 2 days before Christmas. H sometimes hates it because he always has to work on his birthday and normally gets Christmas/Birthday gifts.

I love the idea of buying him a star, especially with the telescope. You can give him the coordinates and tell him to look at his other gift :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards