Snarky Brides
Options

Dear Texas, WTF!!!????

This makes me weep for our future.

CLICKY

CN:  Texas BOE has voted to remove Thomas Jefferson from the history books and basically redact/ rephrase anything they don't agree with.  ie: Rather than using the phrase "slave trade" it's now "Atlantic triangular trade".

Re: Dear Texas, WTF!!!????

• Options
    Wait..woah...wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No amount of exclamation points can properly convey how I feel about this.
  • Options
    Dude... what.
    panther
  • Options
    I love Thomas Jefferson. 
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    Okay the further I read down into that article the closer my jaw gets to the floor.
    panther
  • Options
    I just don't even know what to say to that.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to bitchslap people repeatedly while screaming "WTF is wrong with you?"
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-texas-wtf?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b6742643-7b06-4f85-a0d6-dc9e0a085255Post:40034d4f-da37-428d-a723-ab0b5980264e">Dear Texas, WTF!!!????</a>:
    [QUOTE]This makes me weep for our future. CLICKY CN:  Texas BOE has voted to remove Thomas Jefferson from the history books and basically redact/ rephrase anything they don't agree with.  ie: Rather than using the phrase "slave trade" it's now "Atlantic triangular trade".
    Posted by Bkseller13[/QUOTE]

Oh cool.  We get to alter history now?
    imageVacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-texas-wtf?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b6742643-7b06-4f85-a0d6-dc9e0a085255Post:7ef89b73-5d43-4900-b195-abc9c82eaccc">Re: Dear Texas, WTF!!!????</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Dear Texas, WTF!!!???? : Oh cool.  We get to alter history now?
    Posted by brandichamberlain[/QUOTE]

If that's what they're doing, can I put my name in the ring to replace Marie Antoinette?  Oh and also that I didn't get beheaded.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-texas-wtf?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b6742643-7b06-4f85-a0d6-dc9e0a085255Post:7ef89b73-5d43-4900-b195-abc9c82eaccc">Re: Dear Texas, WTF!!!????</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Dear Texas, WTF!!!???? : Oh cool.  We get to alter history now?
    Posted by brandichamberlain[/QUOTE]

We can't just tell kids what really happened, Brandi.  They are <em>children.</em>  They have to be told what should have happened instead.

For real, this entire story is horseshiit and quite frankly, I'm disgusted.
    panther
  • Options
    What bothers me the most is that since TX is such a large purchaser of textbooks, then it's going to pressure other states to have to buy this atrocious re-write of American History.
  • Options
    If I had a child in these public schools, I would have a major problem. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    What I don't understand is how the BOE could have a "conservative majority."  Our education boards up here in the boondocks are non-partisan boards.  How the fluck do you get to twist facts about shiit that actually happened in history according to your politics and think it's okay?
    panther
  • Options
    LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-texas-wtf?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b6742643-7b06-4f85-a0d6-dc9e0a085255Post:a5934b7f-ab31-433d-838b-df69e14ff0d0">Re: Dear Texas, WTF!!!????</a>:
    [QUOTE]What I don't understand is how the BOE could have a "conservative majority."  Our education boards up here in the boondocks are non-partisan boards.  How the fluck do you get to twist facts about shiit that actually happened in history according to your politics and think it's okay?
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

<div>Yup, that part pisses me off. Huge time.</div><div>
    </div><div>Edit: There are national standards so I'm not sure how this will work. Every state has their own set of standards but there are national standards too. </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    How do you get to print non facts as facts?
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-texas-wtf?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b6742643-7b06-4f85-a0d6-dc9e0a085255Post:cfca94ce-1e81-4a7a-87ac-5f04f418dbd3">Re: Dear Texas, WTF!!!????</a>:
    [QUOTE]How do you get to print non facts as facts?
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]
    Can you imagine these kids going to college and being like Thomas Jefferson who?? Or, "What's a slave trade??"
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-texas-wtf?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b6742643-7b06-4f85-a0d6-dc9e0a085255Post:cfca94ce-1e81-4a7a-87ac-5f04f418dbd3">Re: Dear Texas, WTF!!!????</a>:
    [QUOTE]How do you get to print non facts as facts?
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

I don't know, ask Ann Coulter?

Kidding, but I couldn't resist.  The CA and TX markets are so huge that textbook companies will print what they're looking for in textbooks and usually (maybe for KS and "intelligent design") don't print out different editions for other states.  It's almost blackmail.  Oh, can I say that?  It's not blackmail, it's "monetary coersion".
  • Options

All I can think about are the people who insist things like the Holocaust never happened getting their hands on the ability to do this kind of thing.  FI is a history major and I can't wait to get his perspective.

imageVacation
  • Options
    I know this might be dramatic but when people start rewriting history, it makes me so nervous. What's to stop them from skipping over huge parts of history or teaching something that isn't true? 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-texas-wtf?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b6742643-7b06-4f85-a0d6-dc9e0a085255Post:7fe5d758-30f7-4570-a0c2-b7a122908496">Re: Dear Texas, WTF!!!????</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Texas, WTF!!!???? : If that's what they're doing, can I put my name in the ring to replace Marie Antoinette?  Oh and also that I didn't get beheaded.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

I'm calling Charlotte Corday then! ;)
    imageVacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-texas-wtf?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b6742643-7b06-4f85-a0d6-dc9e0a085255Post:e22656be-b139-4031-8c64-8f580baa2093">Re: Dear Texas, WTF!!!????</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dear Texas, WTF!!!???? : I don't know, ask Ann Coulter? Kidding, but I couldn't resist.  The CA and TX markets are so huge that textbook companies will print what they're looking for in textbooks and usually (maybe for KS and "intelligent design") don't print out different editions for other states.  It's almost blackmail.  Oh, can I say that?  It's not blackmail, it's "monetary coersion".
    Posted by Bkseller13[/QUOTE]
    It happens in Virginia too. They'll cater the text book to your needs for you to buy it. They don't care.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't remember where I read this and the exact details because it was so long ago but I also read that a school system is allowing kids to write "God" as an answer on tests and get credit. So for example, the question might be how is oxygen created and a kid writes, "By God." then they can get credit. Teachers can't make them wrong.

I'm googling as I type to find this article but I can't find it anywhere. I'll keep looking. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    As an educator, I'm horrified.  Not surprised, but horrified nonetheless.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-texas-wtf?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b6742643-7b06-4f85-a0d6-dc9e0a085255Post:e7a42e84-376c-4707-be4d-2fe0835c764c">Re: Dear Texas, WTF!!!????</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't remember where I read this and the exact details because it was so long ago but I also read that a school system is allowing kids to write "God" as an answer on tests and get credit. So for example, the question might be how is oxygen created and a kid writes, "By God." then they can get credit. Teachers can't make them wrong. I'm googling as I type to find this article but I can't find it anywhere. I'll keep looking. 
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

I find this very interesting.  I feel like that gives kids the ability to slack off whenever they want and still pass. I think that the idea behind letting them have their religion is fine, but when it crosses over to interrupting their education it frustrates me.
    imageVacation
  • Options
    Yeah, this isn't surprising.  Textbooks distributors have been altering curriculum for the largest purchaser for a long, long time.

I thought more people knew about this after Lies My Teacher Told Me came out and there was a lot of talk about intentional bias and outright lying in publications.
  • Options
    This happened 2 years ago.  Here's another article with the date on it.

Not that it's any less disturbing that they are going to get these kids laughed out of any out of state education institutions though.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    "Atlantic Triangular Trade" made me LOL, not going to lie.  
  • Options
    I am so not surprised.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I know this thread is already dead, but as a hopeful future teacher in Texas (and Texas resident), can I please just say that most of us are not cray cray like these school board people?  Most of the educators I have met (and, really, people in general), would agree that this rewriting stuff is insane.

Although, the only thing I will add is that there is no such thing as 100% "true" history--it's all someone's interpretation.  But that is why we need to teach children how to read CRITICALLY and look for biases and multiple viewpoints.

SaveSave
  • Options
    This is shocking. How can they do this and get away with it? I remember my biology teacher in high school telling us to learn the stuff for the test if goes against our religious beliefs but to dismiss it in the end if we were to find it offensive. I'm appalled that some teachers would allow a child to answer with "God" and get away with it. Poor kid would not know much when they get into college. As for the history part....well unfortunately human beings have done cruel things to other human beings. Kids should learn about the ugly truth so that the past does not be repeated. 
  • Options
    The whole "God" thing sounds like a myth, honestly.  I'm not going to jump into believing that one (or maybe I'm just being naive at how stupid some school districts could be)

SaveSave
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_dear-texas-wtf?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b6742643-7b06-4f85-a0d6-dc9e0a085255Post:333bb32c-adb4-4e33-8a21-de1f97b7b3c7">Re: Dear Texas, WTF!!!????</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know this thread is already dead, but as a hopeful future teacher in Texas (and Texas resident), can I please just say that most of us are not cray cray like these school board people?  Most of the educators I have met (and, really, people in general), would agree that this rewriting stuff is insane. Although, the only thing I will add is that there is no such thing as 100% "true" history--it's all someone's interpretation.  But that is why we need to teach children how to read CRITICALLY and look for biases and multiple viewpoints.
    Posted by monkeysip[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Thomas Jefferson was 100% real and so was the slave trade.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards