Snarky Brides
Options

How do people feel about Memorial Day weekend?

I'm looking at having my wedding during Memorial day weekend.  Am I right in thinking most people get that day off?  Is it helpful or annoying to have a wedding on a three day weekend?  If so should I have it on Sunday because people get Monday and not Friday off?  Would travel be more difficult? 

Mostly, is this a good idea or a bad one?  

Re: How do people feel about Memorial Day weekend?

• Options
    Ehh, I think it depends on your guests.  For a close family member or friend I would go to a holiday weekend wedding.  Keep in mind, though, that if you have a lot of OOT guests travel can be a lot more expensive on holiday weekends and traffic can be bad.  Some people have standing family or friend get togethers on holiday weekends, so make sure that you wouldn't be conflicting with annual plans of any of your major sets of guests.

I think holiday weekend weddings can be a pain for guests.  That being said, FI and I went to a wedding last 4th of July and had a a great time.

I would check with your families and close friends to see how they would feel about Memorial Day.
  • Options
    I assumed the same things as you when we decided to have ours on 4th of July weekend. We thought a lot of people would be taking off and would have a 3 day weekend anyways. So we made sure we sent out our Save the dates as soon as we could so people didn't make other plans since it is a holiday weekend and all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree with Sara - I think it depends.  A lot of people have long-standing traditions for holiday weekends so you would definitely want to get save the dates out early.  I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal for family, but if you are inviting a lot of family friends, friends of your parents, etc. you might not get as good of a turn out.  Plus I know a lot of venues charge extra to have weddings on a holiday.
  • Options
    I love Memorial Day weekend because I traditionally do something fun with my family. That said, I probably wouldn't be too happy about attending a wedding that weekend. I don't like weddings on holidays. I'd much rather make my own plans. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    aholtsbaholtsb member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    You also might want to consider that it is usually more expensive to get married on holiday weekends.  Lots of people will have the same idea as you will so vendors will have a lot of demand and will up there prices.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    It depends on howmany OOT guests there are and where you are asking them to travel. 

Having a wedding in Hawaii on Memorial Day weekend when your family is in Texas and not well off is just presumptuous.  My friend's SIL did this. The plane tickets alone were $500 each, then she told them they all have to stay in the same hotel at $230/night. And she expects a shower gift and a wedding gift, and has said so. My friend has decided that either she can go to the wedding or get a gift, but both are not possible with her budget.

However, if your family local and you don't live in a popular vacation area, then go for it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I don't want to be a broken record but it all depends on the guest. I personally love Memorial day cause that means I get an extra day to celebrate my b-day. But the down fall is traveling is crazy. So keep OOT guests in mind and I'm sure those who matter most wouldn't mind what day you have it on.

• Options
    Set your wedding for when you want.  We are getting married over Labor Day weekend with the majority of guests being OOT.  People will come if they want, or stick with their vacation plans, though they can do it the following year.

If you are really concerned, feel it out, ask around to your guests.  We sent out the STD's 2 weeks ago and so far the vibe is good, people are planning on coming.   
    Anniversary Vacation
  • Options
    I would enjoy going to a wedding on Memorial Day weekend.  If it was OOT I would make a mini road trip out of it and get some sight seeing in too.  I have no family traditions with the day so I wouldn't be missing anything back home.  But I should say, that I feel like I'm in the minority in thinking this.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    We have a Memorial Day weekend wedding to attend this year. It is on a Sunday. We really don't mind and the bride and grooms families are good with it. I have heard some grumbling about it from other friends who wanted to go out of town that weekend and now feel like they have to decide if they are going or not, but such is life.

I know that financially, they are a bad idea if you are looking at hotel blocks or some reception sites because usually they are more on holiday weekends (and a lot of hotels may not even want to give you your block, they hate brides and their blocks of rooms anyway because they rarely got utilized).

• Options
    I'm getting married Labor Day Weekend, and while I'm sure some people won't come because of traditional vacations, I think that all the people who really want to come will regardless.  I did get a block of hotel rooms and they were at a reasonable price, but I don't live in a real vacation area.  Honestly, I think if you want to get married on memorial day weekend, do it.  Maybe some people won't come.  But no matter when you schedule your wedding, some people aren't going to come.  I would just make sure to reserve your block of rooms and vendors as early as possible.  Good luck!
  • Options
    It really depends on the guests and what people do in your area that weekend. It also depends if there are any big festivals going on that weekend in your area that would cause hotel rates to skyrocket. I know I personally could never have it that weekend because it is the same weekend as the Indy500 car race and all the hotels are booked and everything it a lot more expensive then.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Two problems off the top of my head:

1) A lot of people have established plans already that weekend. Maybe they've already bought vacation packages or something.

2) Travel is more expensive on holiday weekends.
  • Options
    i'm getting married on memorial day weekend, and nobody has said a word about it. i agree with others that if people can't/don't want to come to your wedding, they aren't going to, regardless of the day of the year it is on.  as far as things being more expensive, we've actually found things to be cheaper as far as vendors are concerned. 

also, the notion that travel is more expensive on holiday weekends can certainly be true, but 99% of out OOT guests have found flights from all over the country to here (denver) for as low as $78...that's not an expensive flight to me.  on the other hand, one of my bridesmaids is getting married on a random july day, and the lowest tickets i've been able to find so far are way more than twice what any of our guests have paid ($250+ per person), and her wedding is definitely not in a vacation destination.  i really wouldn't put too much stock in the "expensive airfare" worry.
  • Options

We are getting married on memorial day weekend for several reasons that was perfect for us:
    1) We love May, we celebrate our b-days in May and the wedding date will be between the 2 bdays
    2) It's a holiday weekend and we live in a great city with so many things to do that many people won't feel rushed getting off of work friday can take their time coming in Saturday and do many FREE activities that our city has to offer that are so fun
    3) We are having a late ceremony (5p) so people can even come in on Sunday if they wanted and save $ on hotels
    4) Even though it was a holiday weekend we have received all of the discounts afforded to people who have their weddings on fridays/sundays
    5) Our hotel is working with us and giving us a great rate and 2 free suites for our parents
    6)People have Monday off and can enjoy going back to their homes and work at their leisure
    7) most of our OOT guests don't have to fly and won't be dealing with that expense....most except a handful will be driving :)

So we love Memorial Day weekend weddings and can't wait!!!!

• Options
    Have your wedding whenever you want as long as you understand that not all of your guests will find your decision convenient, no matter how well intentioned your plans are.

Not everyone wants to travel on holidays, or they have other plans, or simply just don't want to be told how to spend their three day weekend.  As long as you can accept that then go ahead and have it whenever you want.

I only say this because I do have a few friends that did labor/memorial day and 4th of July weddings that were upset with the turnout.
  • Options
    My friend is having a Memorial Day weekend and my immediate reaction to hearing the news was to heave a little. I'm not a fan of holiday wedding weekends because of all the little hassles that are sure to come up: family/friends being forced to choose between your wedding and vacations or long-standing plans, traffic, higher prices on hotels/flights/etc. It's your choice, but just be prepared for bitching family members wondering why they have to cancel their annual trip to the beach.
  • Options
    I think holiday weekends like Memorial, July 4th, Labor Day are ok.  At my job, I only have 5 vacation days a year so I'm thinking about Memorial Day also so that I can take off the Friday before and the week after.  I think the people that really love and care about you will be there!
  • Options
    I can understand/agree where you're coming from with a destination wedding, which is what my FI and I are planning.  Our family is scattered more or less cross-country, so it will be spendy for them to travel wherever we have the wedding.  We are planning on having the wedding in Hawaii, but keeping it small to include family and a few close friends.  For family members (parents), my FI and I are offering to help them with airfare and hotel to help offset the cost to them.  Our parents are important to both of us, so making sure that they can all be there is crucial.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards