Snarky Brides
Options

Was I in the wrong?

So today I just received a message from my friend that has really upset me. I was a bridesmaid in her wedding six months ago. I am a full-time student and live only on student loans. She wanted to have her bachelorette party in Vegas. I was happy to oblige, but this cost me nearly $1,000. Then I contributed $100 to her bridal shower. Then I paid another $500 to cover the costs of the dress, flight, and cab fare, and other related travel expenses to attend her wedding. $1600 later I felt I could not contribute anymore financially to her wedding, so instead of a gift, I only sent them a card. Today, she messaged me and said she was upset that she saw that I had purchased a new dress, but could not send her a gift. This seems incredibly rude to me, but am I in the wrong? Are wedding gifts mandatory? I think it is ridiculous that she is scrutinizing my purchases now, but I'm also feeling guilty. I've always considered her a good friend, but I am really annoyed that she is expecting a gift. I always thought that gifts were a nice gesture, but optional. If gifts are required, why not just charge a cover to attend the wedding?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards