Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Holidays.

Have you and your FI/Husbands discussed holiday plans? Backstory of why I'm asking... We're getting a little bit of flack for bagging Thanksgiving this year with my family. We're spending a week in FL for Christmas with his family so we won't be with my family then either. We typically alternate every year since our families arent in the same state, but this year we decided to rebel and do our own thing. Hahahaha... What are your plans now that you're engaged or married?

Re: Holidays.

• Options
    shananaginsshananagins member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My family is here, so it's a little easier for us, but we've spent Thanksgiving with his family for the last 2 years and Christmas here with mine. 
    imagemy read shelf:
    Shannon (shananagins) Jones's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    His family is bigger on Thanksgiving (mine go to the Cowboys game every year) so we will spend Thanksgiving with his family in Houston. The trade off is that we spend Christmas with mine and then go to see his family the following weekend. Once we have kids though, I hope to have more things at my house and have both families attend it there. I am big on my kids waking up in their own beds on Christmas morning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Normally, we do Thanksgiving at my dads, Christmas with his family.  However, someone on here posted that they alternate every 3 years so they get to do what they want, which is really cool because we are always going/away when it comes to holidays and it gets old.  So I see nothing wrong with doing your own thing.
  • Options
    Buttercup509Buttercup509 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both of our families are here.  His family usually does a lunch around 1ish, and my family usually does a dinner around 7 or 8.  So we visit both sides on Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It makes a very busy day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know! We don't have kids and my family is just going to be at my brothers place in Austin, we aren't missing anything. I'm not a Thanksgiving fan anyway, so we figured we'll take advantage of our time off together and get out of the country!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We've actually never spent a Christmas together in the 5+ years we've known each other--we just stay with our respective families in Dallas & Houston. I imagine we will switch off, or do the 4 hour drive the day after Christmas or something.Now Thanksgiving is awesome--our families get along really well together, so his family has come up to Dallas for the past few years. It's a tradition now! We have a family vs. family football game--his family is superior athletically and they always win. I'm lobbying to be on their team this year...The next day, all 9 of the 11 kids get up and do Black Friday shopping at 2am. Everyone looks forward to it!
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • Options
    stephl3055stephl3055 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I *think* I know our plan for this year.  I only say that because my parents are divorced so there was always a choice I had to make on who to spend what holidays with.  Now add in David's family and we have to split the holidays 3 ways.  We will be spending Thanksgiving with my dad's side since we didn't see them on Thanksgiving or Christmas last year.  Then Christmas Eve with David's family, and spend Christmas day with my mom's side.However, David's family hasn't quite gotten the fact that we need to spend time with my mom's side on Christmas day, because last year we were over at their house until 1:00 AM opening presents because they like to wait until midnight.  Plus the fact that they didn't even get dinner ready until 11:00 PM!  Seriously, I'm starving by that time!  So I got to bed at 1:30 AM and I was up again by 7:30 so that I could bake and be at my mom's by 11:00.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Marissa - that sounds fun! My brother and sisters inlaws are always around for Thanksgiving and Christmas which is always a lot of fun. Now that my dad is living in FL I'm curious to see how are holidays will shake out, however everyone has kids...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Emi--it is fun.I think my mom secretly hopes some of my siblings will marry some of his siblings so we have them locked in for holidays. (It's possible--3 of my siblings match with his--but not likely)My mother says she enjoys the company of my FILs more than any of our real family...hehehe I concur
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • Options
    prlmrg08prlmrg08 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our plans are to stay at our house and if people want to see us we will feed them :) I will be having our baby the day after Christmas if she waits that long.... so they dont really have a choice this year :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We go to my Aunt's house on Christmas Eve...stay for about 2 hours...then go Nick's Grandma's house for game night and gifts until midnight...go to my grandparent's house to stay the night, wake up, have Christmas morning there...get dressed and go to HIS grandmother on his mom's side...then go to his mom's house later that day. Yeah...it kinda sucks. When we get out own place we're DEFINITELY having Christmas there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Both of our families are here. His family usually does a lunch around 1ish, and my family usually does a dinner around 7 or 8. So we visit both sides on Thanksgiving and Christmas. It makes a very busy day.I imagine this is also what we'll do. Sometimes I wish we could just relax and enjoy the day though and only go to one house.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanksgiving is tough for travel so we do it on our own (of the last six years, he went home once and I never have). If we get more time off in the future we might do it with his family since they're in Texas at least. Christmas is trickier since we've both always been with our respective parents for that. This year, we're spendin up through Christmas Eve in California and flying out first thing Chistmas morning to South Texas. I know it's going to be rough so we probably won't do it every year, but this will give both families a transition year. At least we're lucky that my family celebrates the Eve and his does the Day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really luck out when it comes to holidays.  Chris' parents haven't celebrated either of them in years, in fact last year they went to San Antonio for Thanksgiving just to get away. So we spend both holidays with my family and Chris really enjoys it (I think that had something to do with the fact that my family spoiled him with gifts last Christmas).When we get a house, I would love to host for one of the holidays and have his parents come over like we had both sets of parents over for a holiday dinner and game night after we moved in together last year.
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My parents got Thanksgiving last year and his got Christmas (8 days of torture).  This year, his parents are coming here for inspection...er, Thanksgiving.  We are treating my family to a night at the Gaylord and ICE and then we'll go to Baton Rouge for three days at New Years. 
  • Options
    DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We alternate Thanksgiving and Christmas, as in, in one year, one set of parents get Thanksgiving and the other gets Christmas. Rotate the next year. It's just easier this way, trying to see both sets of parents for both sets of holidays would be nuts.
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mandasue178mandasue178 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both sets of parents live here, so on thanksgiving we do lunch with one and dinner with the other. Christmas is a big deal at my house (I still have young siblings), so we wake up there Christmas morning and go to the inlaws for dinner. Once we have kids, we'll wake up at our own house, and spend at least until lunch at home.
    Becoming My Mother
    Names for our Currently Non-Existent Baby Anniversary
    Dx: PCOS 3/11
    **TTC buddies with Browneyedhunni85**
  • Options
    appletango85appletango85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Holidays are a nightmare for me :(Both our parents are divorced and his mom lives 2 1/2 hours away. And I end up seeing everyone except his mom the day of. David will usually leave for his mom's house either Christmas night or the next morning to spend the weekend with her. Sometimes I go, sometimes I don't. It ends up being really boring for me because david will go play the computer with his brothers and I'm stuck making small talk. I hate small talk.Once we have kids I'll have to sit his parents down and have a come to Jesus meeting about how there is no way we can see everyone every year for every holiday. My parents are pretty ok with it but his stepmom...love her to death and I know she just wants time with her family...but she will have to learn to share! Or our parents will have to come to a compromised agreement about spending one holiday all together or something. I don't even want to think about the holidays yet! I'm just trying to get through the day here heh.
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both of our families are in the DFW area. The first few years we were dating we would do lunch with his family and dinner with my family for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. But recently his family has started celebrating on a different day (usually a Sunday soon after the respective holiday) to make sure that everyone can be there. His siblings are all married, so it just makes it easier, and I love the holidays so I don't mind having them twice! And, I think that arrangement will work really well when we have kids, too.
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh! And we have hosted Christmas Eve at our place the last couple of years, which I love doing! I guess we'll have to do it at my parents' place this year, unless everyone wants to come to Nashville!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards